Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

odb2 code p606/604

Options
  • 10-04-2013 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

I have this code on my car.
    here is what I find on a google search.
    http://www.obd-codes.com/p0606
    anyone know of how involved this is likely to be?
    Seems they may be able to 'flash' the PCM. if not they will have to replace the on board system.

Anyone who has experience of this could recommend a mechanic capable of repairing it? or can it be done anywhere? and could take a stab at guessing the costs involved?

I have my test coming up and was planing to use my car, so the if the cost is cheaper than hiring one then ill have to fix it, if not then I will need to book a car.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

What's the car you have, what scan tool produced this code, and what problems (if any) are you experiecing with the car?

I ask this because sometimes, a generic scan tool can generate a "phantom" code that is either wrong (a mis-interpretation of another code) or one that simply does not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

shamwari wrote: »
    What's the car you have, what scan tool produced this code, and what problems (if any) are you experiecing with the car?

I ask this because sometimes, a generic scan tool can generate a "phantom" code that is either wrong (a mis-interpretation of another code) or one that simply does not exist.

01 fabia, no symptoms other than the light.

I used a recommended app called torque to get the code. and then googled the result.

I need the light off for the test that is all. I also had a mechanic check it a few weeks ago and he confirmed the code and to not bother with it. He doesn't have the tools to fix it.

If it wasnt for my test coming up I wouldnt bother getting it done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

01 fabia, no symptoms other than the light.

I used a recommended app called torque to get the code. and then googled the result.

I need the light off for the test that is all. I also had a mechanic check it a few weeks ago and he confirmed the code and to not bother with it. He doesn't have the tools to fix it.

If it wasnt for my test coming up I wouldnt bother getting it done.
    Try and get it scanned with a VAG specific scan tool (e.g. VAG Com). I reckon it might be a manufacturer specific code being misinterpreted by Torque. Some of those Fabia's gave a 5 digit rather than a P- code.

As for the test, the light itself shouldn't cause a fail if everything else is ok.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

Did you try clearing the code with Torque?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

There are 2 things I would do with this code before deciding to replace the ECU.

1, check the freeze frame data to see if any of the data signals are faulty, If so, I would check the relevant pins on the ECU to see if there is any damage/corrosion etc.

2, erase the fault and then drive the car for a full drive cycle and see if the fault comes back as a pending or current fault, if not it may have been triggered by a power spike or some other one off issue.

Failing either of these, a replacement ECU is almost certainly needed as ECU re flashes, especially for older cars, rarely fix the problem.

• Advertisement

shamwari wrote: »
    As for the test, the light itself shouldn't cause a fail if everything else is ok.,

Its not an nct, its a driving test, instructor wont take you in a car with a warning light on.
    I have my test coming up and was planing to use my car, so the if the cost is cheaper than hiring one then ill have to fix it, if not then I will need to book a car.
    00833827 wrote: »
    Did you try clearing the code with Torque?
    yes, it comes back on after a few minutes driving.
    There are 2 things I would do with this code before deciding to replace the ECU.
    who can do this, any garage? and is it expensive to get done?
    more than €150 euros then I will need to get a car from elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Its not an nct, its a driving test, instructor wont take you in a car with a warning light on.

yes, it comes back on after a few minutes driving.

who can do this, any garage? and is it expensive to get done?
    more than €150 euros then I will need to get a car from elsewhere.

Why don't you get an instructors car for the test? Not sure exaclty how much it costs but it would be less than €100 anyways and should be ready to roll

Why don't you get an instructors car for the test? Not sure exaclty how much it costs but it would be less than €100 anyways and should be ready to roll

€90

but if its cheaper to fix the code then i will fix the code.

Advertisement