Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apartment Living

• 06-04-2013 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭

Just thought I'd get some ideas here..

Now that I'm living in an apartment these days, the option of spending an hour or so hoovering and generally cleaning the car in the driveway isn't an option :( It's not filthy or filled with rubbish but it's annoying me (I'm a man who likes his car clean and tidy)

Although I have a ground-floor apartment and the car is parked outside it, there's a footpath between the two that presumably would lead to much legal woes should someone not watching where they were going trip over it (ahh for the 80's when you tripped, cursed your stupidity and just got on with your life). Would a cheap flat mat to cover that part of the cable do I wonder?

So does that really mean my only options are to either take it to a garage and use the hoover attachment there (not cheap and not ideal either as the attachments are a big one-piece slab of plastic that aren't much use in corners/vents), or pay someone more again to "valet" the car

Using someone else's driveway is out as my friends are living all over the country at this stage or in apartments themselves.

What do the rest of ye do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Dyson battery powered might be an option, probably easier than a normal vac as no cable to keep moving around...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Cable_Protector_Cable_Cover_Cable_Bridge_MT06.jpg

I wouldn't bother but you could get one of those cable bridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you use of the those long door mats that would cover it on the path.

Alternatively put 2 chairs over the cable to obstruct people somewhat. They'll notice the chairs and be more careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

cigar lighter plug-in vacuum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭aSligoDub

in work, when stringing leads, we try to loop them off something above head level..

Any trees, lamposts or railings around your car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Thanks for all the suggestions guys :)

I had a look at the Dyson range but they're about €200 for that series which seems a bit expensive for this.

I had a cigarette socket version previously at one stage alright but it wasn't much use in terms of suction power. Unless anyone has an experience with one they'd recommend up to say €75?

Something to throw over the cable on the footpath may be the best bet then (no railings/lamps to suspend a cable from unfortunately). I may have a look in the local homeware store later as I've to go out anyway and see if I can find anything suitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

What about paying a local kid a fiver to patrol the cable for the duration of the hoovering?

Or just have a friend there to keep an eye on it?

Tbh Id wouldnt worry about it, people often hoover their cars where I live (apartment block) and they dont bother covering the cable, although I suppose it depends on how busy your pavement is, mine could go a couple of hours without someone walking by.

Another option is early morning or very late evening car hoovering, when there are likely to be less people around?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yea it's fairly quiet around here to be honest as well so it probably would be ok.. but I just know if someone DID trip over it it'd probably get messy in today's compo culture society :(

It's more to cover myself than the cable really :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 keith-b

i got my car cleaned in cork street auto centre was €15 for a mini valet they washed it hooverd it and cleaned dash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

I've on of these babies

dewalt-dc515n.png

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DEWALT-Akku-Handsauger-DC515N-XJ-18V-Neu-OVP-/171007655253?pt=DE_Haus_Garten_Heimwerker_Elektrowerkzeuge&hash=item27d0d9bd55

1m flexi hose, great suction

battery life ain't fantastic, about 20mins with a fully charged brand new battery - or 2 uses per charge for me if the car is in a bad way

If using a mains operated vacuum, I'd have to agree with the use of an old mat - works very well, especially if it's taped down

I've ran cable across walking areas and normally if the path was dry I'd use a role of strong duct tape to make sure the cable won't move

strongest I've found being the generic brand one found in plumbing stores
    (worst being b&q's own brand which was 2x the price)

• Advertisement
Advertisement