Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike stolen, any suggestions? Apart from the obvious.

• 03-02-2011 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I had a souped up Cube Reaction (with recently added TopPeak mudguards), stolen on Tuesday. The guy was caught on CCTV; Gardai know him, and are arresting him hopefully today -- who knows though. Just because it's a bike, priorities are low.

Anyway, it's very likely the bike has long since changed hands, and I'm not under any illusion that the police will look any further than his house, if I'm even that lucky.

So, apart from that, I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do to increase the chances of getting this back. Any common forums people post on, with pictures, or anything? Are there any 'dodgy' shops that some of these bikes end up in?

Finally, this guy is already up on bike robbery charges and will likely be up again for mine/others. Even if it goes to court, etc., I presume I will never see a penny from him? It's not that I'm strapped for cash, I just don't like to feeling of someone so easily getting off with stealing something so valuable from me.

Please don't comment on how low my chances of retrieiving the bike are; I already know. Also, please don't comment on locking strategies; I already know ;) ...

Cheers,
    Cormac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

By your post it looks like you are seeking legal rather than bike related information, probably better off asking the cops tbh. If your posting anything here it should be a pic of the bike and any specific identification which would help to spot it. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I am getting increasingly worried about owning a bike altogether.
    This Cube Reaction is a great looking bike. very attractive.
    I went to town during the snow on my Specialized MTB with I locked with 3 diferent good locks beside Penneys on O'connel street. I was at the dentists across the road. I can back 30 minutes later and the bike had been tempered with.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭rat_race

By your post it looks like you are seeking legal rather than bike related information, probably better off asking the cops tbh. If your posting anything here it should be a pic of the bike and any specific identification which would help to spot it. Best of luck.

Just looking for any advice really...just seems like informing the police is rather futile! I will post a pic/description, but I was wondering if there's a more suited forum/place.
    I am getting increasingly worried about owning a bike altogether.
    This Cube Reaction is a great looking bike. very attractive.
    I went to town during the snow on my Specialized MTB with I locked with 3 diferent good locks beside Penneys on O'connel street. I was at the dentists across the road. I can back 30 minutes later and the bike had been tempered with.

Yeah. The worry takes the joy out of the benefits of cycling...at least cycling a decent bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Where was it stolen from OP?

He might have fobbed it off cheap to the first person he found so it may not be as far away as you'd think...

Happened a mate of mine last year, bike stolen, fella caught, bike was nowhere to be seen, few weeks later we say some lad on it not 2 streets away from our place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

why do people lock their bikes in the obvious places they would be robbed? lock it away from the areas that are always full of bikes. Knacker scum aint picky, they just go to where there is a bunch locked up and take em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭rat_race

Korvanica wrote: »

He might have fobbed it off cheap to the first person he found so it may not be as far away as you'd think...

Happened a mate of mine last year, bike stolen, fella caught, bike was nowhere to be seen, few weeks later we say some lad on it not 2 streets away from our place.

Stolen from where I work in Milltown. Ah he's been caught robbing lots of bikes in the past...probably sells them in town for 80e.

Of course I'll keep an eye out for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,375 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Only one thing for it, buy a piece of crap bike, paint it pink and put pink streamers from the handle bars.

the thieving little f'rs wont be caught dead on that.

listermint wrote: »
    Only one thing for it, buy a piece of crap bike, paint it pink and put pink streamers from the handle bars.

the thieving little f'rs wont be caught dead on that.

But you would, after they nail ya with a brick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

kona wrote: »
    why do people lock their bikes in the obvious places they would be robbed?

You mean Dublin :pac: Honestly it is a bit awkward for me to lock it anywhere else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I don't leave my bike locked anywhere in Dublin any more - I have a Brompton that comes everywhere with me (into the office, into shops etc...).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I used to lock my bike to the railings beside Store Street Garda Station! My logic at the time was that nobody would tamper with a bike locked near a Garda station. I was WRONG...sure every s***bag in the city hangs around outside (after they've been released on bail or whatever). I arrived back one day to find someone had "danced" all over the rear wheel! :mad:

CramCycle wrote: »
    You mean Dublin :pac: Honestly it is a bit awkward for me to lock it anywhere else

haha, I mean away from the main areas bikes do be locked. Scum are lazy for the most part, and oppertunistic for the other parts, I find most bikes that get robbed here have a trend that they are locked in designated bike areas and most the time with a poor lock.

Get a good Kryptonite and lock it on its own away from passing foot traffic and away from groups of bikes. Mines locked in the CC most days during the week, in some of the more "traditional" areas and its never even been tamperd with... Only ever had a bike robbed once and that was from my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

kona wrote: »
    haha, I mean away from the main areas bikes do be locked. Scum are lazy for the most part, and oppertunistic for the other parts, I find most bikes that get robbed here have a trend that they are locked in designated bike areas and most the time with a poor lock.

Get a good Kryptonite and lock it on its own away from passing foot traffic and away from groups of bikes. Mines locked in the CC most days during the week, in some of the more "traditional" areas and its never even been tamperd with... Only ever had a bike robbed once and that was from my house.

Dubious. Locking a bike away from foot traffic means that someone can spend more time working on breaking the locks than otherwise.

Also, if your bike is well locked in a place with lots of other crappily locked bikes, your bike will most likely be passed over. Lowest hanging fruit.

Gavin wrote: »
    Dubious. Locking a bike away from foot traffic means that someone can spend more time working on breaking the locks than otherwise. .

why? Most areas where bikes are locked in public are in areas of high foot traffic. The ranks on o connell street have alot of scum around them all day.

Dont fool yourself, nobody is gunna stop a scumbag robbing a bike unless its a garda, people just ignore that kinda stuff, Ive seen it myself.

If I was a knack and wanted to rob a few bikes, Id be heading to the areas with the most bikes.
    Gavin wrote: »
    Also, if your bike is well locked in a place with lots of other crappily locked bikes, your bike will most likely be passed over. Lowest hanging fruit.

True, but most people buy poor locks and have no Idea how to use a lock. Still more likely to have somebody dance on your bike.

My tactic has worked for years so Im doing something right.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 eoinoleary

Korvanica wrote: »

+1

friend of mine had hes sintesi taken a few years back...few weeks later we wer walking down the street and a lad flys by on it...he ran after him i rang da blue fellas we got it back anyway... granted this was in a large town not a city but the chances are this fella didnt go very far to sell it and the days of bikes ending up stripped on the other side of the country is gone...they may be more expensive but not worth as much anymore in theft value if you get my drift...keep your eyes open lad and good luck!!!!!

Advertisement