Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CLARE... through the Lens.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Patrick 74

Some of us are there.;)

Great photo Mrs.D..great composition.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Patrick 74 wrote: »
    Great photo Mrs.D..great composition.
    Thanks very much Patrick, I'm very rusty as I haven't taken photos for years but I'm trying to get back in to it!

^^^Please do...

Mullaghmore......I always considered the Ballyvaughan area to be the heart of the Burren but now Mullaghmore has to be the best spot.Have been twice and now I want to go there all the time ..

panoramahiohohytif001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Brilliant photo.
    Have spent many years in Fanore, Ballyvaughan but have never seen a view like this.
    Were you hiking or something?

• Advertisement

Yeah,,its an easy hike,even saw a family with kids going up there.Its 15mins or so past Corofin and is quite a popular trail.I would recommend that people go there and walk to the summit.The photo is looking over at the other summit.I will probaly upload a route map later.For photographers its a must and an excellent spot for a panoramic!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

I must get a proper camera, Im always taking pictures but quality isint great on the iphone. This is the view down along the Caher valley where I live. I dont take much notice of the scenery when im looking at it every day but it kind of struck me the other morning!!

photo-91.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Bellharbour
    7099517295_97298ed4d7_b.jpg

Temple Cronan, Carron

7099517757_29f9cf7cae_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

[IMG][/img]7093519553_0b9fb71e3d_z.jpg

Did you ever try to climb up the rope? ^^^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

I did, but I chickened out as I didn't know if it would 1. Hold me and 2. What was inside. I did some research and found a few images from inside it on flickr (search finvarra mortello tower) and the next day I go back I will certainly be having a look in.

Amazing buildings!

Night sky

6978134030_4ffd769347_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Brilliant night time photo.
    How did you do it. I understand if you used long exposure the stars would have come out as streaks of light.

High ISO, short exposure time and a bit of rear curtain flash to finish it off. Try izt, its not that difficult;)

Class photo CosmoK...it really is,love the colour inside the tomb.

Class photo CosmoK...it really is,love the colour inside the tomb.

Thanks, Patrick. The light inside the dolmen comes from a bicycle lamp:)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ELJeff

ADED0A5122EC4BDEB2F92E8E1669FBE4-0000334199-0002592616-00800L-FAB8705DE3ED4417B915858517A7AADA.jpg

EDD1E1E748FF4C7BA8529932B7487EB2-0000334199-0002724924-00800L-D84729B12F944496ADD52868AAAAB685.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Love this thread some all beautiful photos, please keep them coming, i'm going to see if i can get any nice ones with my phone as it's all i've got.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

IMAG0103.jpg

Kilkee today, while watching Dolphins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

Dating from the 15th century, Tromra Castle near Quilty.

This structure is less of a castle and more of a peel tower although some of its side buildings have now disappeared. Although said to date from about 1460 there are records which indicate that King Torlough Mor O'Brien spent the night here some 200 years earlier at a building on or near the site. Look, there is so much history attached to this building I could go on forever - let's just say it is very old and lots of stuff happened around here.

Although this is a listed monument and is under the watchful eye of conservators etc I must confess to being a little worried for its future survival given that it still seems to be used as a shelter for cattle and is crumbling away unprotected from the elements. I really hope that Clare County Council can find the funds and desire to save it from destruction. It's a really beautiful place.

DIY 5x4 pinhole camera was used to capture it on film.

[IMG][/img]7309410648_1092faeb6c_z.jpg

7309410588_09137c37bd_z.jpg

7309410554_0c189fd4d8_z.jpg

7309410572_f17e56409e_z.jpg

• Advertisement

^^^Good quality pinhole...Ya the base isnt too healthy looking but its been like that for years....doubt anything will be done to protect it.There is no push locally to do anything with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

^^^Good quality pinhole...Ya the base isnt too healthy looking but its been like that for years....doubt anything will be done to protect it.There is no push locally to do anything with it.

Thanks Patrick.

I see that a group of architectural conservators acggroup.ie have been asked to survey it etc. Hopefully they may be able to shore it up to prevent further deterioration?

I hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭squonk

Lahinch last Saturday night

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sully777

squonk wrote: »
    Lahinch last Saturday night
    Beautiful sky in that one. This is the greatest Country in the World when we get the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Dating from the 15th century, Tromra Castle near Quilty.

This structure is less of a castle and more of a peel tower although some of its side buildings have now disappeared. Although said to date from about 1460 there are records which indicate that King Torlough Mor O'Brien spent the night here some 200 years earlier at a building on or near the site. Look, there is so much history attached to this building I could go on forever - let's just say it is very old and lots of stuff happened around here.

Although this is a listed monument and is under the watchful eye of conservators etc I must confess to being a little worried for its future survival given that it still seems to be used as a shelter for cattle and is crumbling away unprotected from the elements. I really hope that Clare County Council can find the funds and desire to save it from destruction. It's a really beautiful place.

DIY 5x4 pinhole camera was used to capture it on film.

[IMG][/img]7309410648_1092faeb6c_z.jpg

7309410588_09137c37bd_z.jpg

7309410554_0c189fd4d8_z.jpg

7309410572_f17e56409e_z.jpg

It's a tragedy that it seems to have been neglected. I think the owner may not be interested in dealing (or cannot afford to deal) with the problem and may not want their property opened up to make the public more aware of it. Hopefully, eventually before it's too late, the owner and relevant parties will come up with a solution for the benefit of all!

The public can go to the castle as the road leads all the way to it.The road was also a bit rough last time I was there.

Armada,spanish point..long exposure.
    fcsbq9.jpg

Belbridge spanish point...has to be one of the best looking bridges in the county...
    2zdyl93.jpg

Anyone know whats the name or story with this castle/house in spanish point????

f3rek1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Armada,spanish point..long exposure.
    fcsbq9.jpg

Belbridge spanish point...has to be one of the best looking bridges in the county...
    2zdyl93.jpg

Never seen a pic of that bridge before. That's really amazing thanks.

Edit to add I had a look online for the history of the bridge. It's very unusual for rural Ireland right? Couldn't find anything except this old photo below where it's called ballyclougne bridge. It's the bridge on the quilty road I'm assuming?
    http://www.ihpc.ie/ihpc/Main/Enquiry.asp?iPictureID=799&iTownID=102&iCountyID=7

• Advertisement

Yup...most people drive right over it without ever seeing it.Fairly unique alright and considering spanish piont was popular with the protestants bsck in the day I guess they spent alot of dosh on the bridge,,

1ya0c0.jpg

zo8a2q.jpg

Advertisement