Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Have you had a bike stolen

• 20-06-2009 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I was in Dublin City today and on the way home I drove past some people selling bikes that looked like they should not be selling. I couldn’t stop but I did see the make of one bike it was a white BH road bike. It was between Parnell Street and Capel Street; it may be worth looking if you lost a bike.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

dont park my bike in town but i almost had my own MTB nicked while in work, was a late night and i had locked it outside fingal library in Blach, i get off work at 1am an no offence to my old it wasnt worth a damn served me real well for 6 years or more but by the end it was costing me more to replace parts and fix the bike, long story short, somone had cut my chain but were obviously disturbed as the bike was still there

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

Couple of years back ....used to cycle into town lock it behind O'Connell statue (busiest street in Dublin) and then bus it to job! One day after a unusually long hot uncomfortable bus journey back from work to town when i was looking forward to risking my life on the bike journey home, i went to collect my bike my front wheel was gone.....was a tad pissed off so off again on the bus i went home! next morning i return in car to collect my bikes remains but there was nothing to collect. BASTARDS.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 seanrua

on a similar note, has anyone seen a blue shogun spirit flatbar, with toeclips, carrier and bottle cage about? it was stolen from outside my house a few daya ago? reply back or give the nice people in kilmainham gardaí if ye do.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

mgbgt0_0 wrote: »
    I was in Dublin City today and on the way home I drove past some people selling bikes that looked like they should not be selling. I couldn’t stop but I did see the make of one bike it was a white BH road bike. It was between Parnell Street and Capel Street; it may be worth looking if you lost a bike.

Sounds like the place mentioned in this article. It seems to operate openly without any interference from the Garda whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sean H

Recoverd

Howdy,

I just had my shiney Trek nicked from the boot of my car in the IFSC. You can't miss her, she looks like this:
    l_session88dh_blackchrome.jpg
    There are only two of them in the country so if you see one buzzing around the city streets will you please call me (Sean 0879854445) or Store Street Garda Station (666 8000).

Thanks

Sean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Sean H wrote: »
    Howdy,

I just had my shiney Trek nicked from the boot of my car in the IFSC. You can't miss her, she looks like this:
    l_session88dh_blackchrome.jpg
    There are only two of them in the country so if you see one buzzing around the city streets will you please call me (Sean 0879854445) or Store Street Garda Station (666 8000).

Thanks

Sean

Take a wander up Sheriff st - you may be offered it back for a "finders fee" ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

The continued existence of that place infuriates me. I wonder is it practical to require bike shops to carry a license? It needn't be hard to get one - maybe just provide a list of suppliers and be required to take contact details from anyone selling second hand bikes.
    flickerx wrote: »
    Sounds like the place mentioned in this article. It seems to operate openly without any interference from the Garda whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

I have a question relating to this - re locks. I've had my hybrid for three years and, while I've had stuff nicked off the bike, the bike remains unstolen thus far.

I have a Kyrphonite New York U-lock and a back-up Abus chain to lock the wheels.
    Has anyone had a Kryptonite U-lock busted? How secure are they really? What's the most unbustable lock out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Maybe a thread on bike theft and how to avoid it should be stickied? Just a humble suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

eightyfish wrote: »
    Has anyone had a Kryptonite U-lock busted? How secure are they really? What's the most unbustable lock out there?
    Not yet, but a number of years ago I busted open my own cheap brand U lock when I lost the key. It was on Mary St, in broad daylight, with a car jack. Noone batted an eye lid.

The Kryptonites are definitely stronger though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I just had my shiney Trek nicked from the boot of my car in the IFSC.

OUCH. Not sure I could love again after loosing something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

eightyfish wrote: »
    I have a question relating to this - re locks. I've had my hybrid for three years and, while I've had stuff nicked off the bike, the bike remains unstolen thus far.

I have a Kyrphonite New York U-lock and a back-up Abus chain to lock the wheels.

I've that U-lock. Unfortunately it weighs a ton! Well actually about 2.5Kg. Which has caused trouble recently when it broke its bike attachment and when flying into traffic. Thankfully not hitting anything.

Now I've to post the whole lock back to Wiggle at a cost of €40 (which previously they said they'd cover). Which is funny really as it'll end up with €80 postage being used on a €70 lock! Weird world.

72hundred wrote: »
    Now I've to post the whole lock back to Wiggle at a cost of €40 (which previously they said they'd cover). Which is funny really as it'll end up with €80 postage being used on a €70 lock! Weird world.

My bike clip broke for this lock too (well, I broke it myself TBH) and chain reaction asked for just the mounting clip to be posted back, rather than the whole lock. (had a new one within 5 days). Worth asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Maybe a thread on bike theft and how to avoid it should be stickied? Just a humble suggestion.

http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Locks_%26_Security

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Howdy,

I just had my shiney Trek nicked from the boot of my car in the IFSC.

1: The IFSC must have cameras every where so ask security, if they were not caught nicking it they will surly show up cycling it somewhere
    2: Check with your car insurance to see if its covered
    3: Please tell me your a DH rider
    4: General point when my bike is in the car I always have some bit dismantled so it will never be a grab and cycle (usually totally dismantled tbh) and always have it covered with a tarp (lidi were selling boot liners a while back perfect for this)

Sorry for your trouble:mad:

Noted. Apologies for thread-hijacking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sean H

I got my Trek back, took it back off some head on sherriff street last night.

Went for a walk around Sheriffer yesterday morning, nothing going, another stroll around at lunch time, nothing going, going home after work, turned on to sherifer and some lad coming down the foot path on the far side of the road on me bike.

Went to cross the road and notice a Gard on a moter bike coming down the road. I got me bike back and yer man went for a drive with the Gards. Yer man was saying that he just bought it 10 minutes before for 100 yoyo.

Deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Delighted.

As for whomever sold it to him(if they did), €5k bike for €100... no wonder they are out stealing bikes, too stupid to get a job no doubt.

I got my Trek back, took it back off some head on sherriff street last night.

Nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mgbgt0_0

Thats great glad to see you got your bike back something needs to be done to stop this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Nice one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 37

My Dawes Alpha 201 was nicked today from baggot street. If anyone sees it roaming the streets or being fenced anywhere I'd really appreciate a heads up, it's a lovely hybrid, all black, much loved.

I'm inconsolable.

sniff, sob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭LeotheLion

I had a hardrock sport MTB robbed last august from the mater hospital bike area on eccles street right beside the security hut in broad daylight!First time I ever had a bike robbed and it will be the last muthafcukers!

I wouldnt be suprised if the security guard was in on it,he seemed like a excrackhead!
    any way it had 2 locks on it they couldnt get the second lock off and all was left was the front wheel chained to the rail,but they took some other persons front wheel and put it on my bike so they could cycle away.

Anyway I bought the same bike and no ones getting it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭lady_marmalade

My Trek T30 was nicked from my apparently secure gated apartment complex. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 37

It makes me so ANGRY

GURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭fascination

Giant SCR 3 taken from the underground carpark of my apartment block a few months back. First time I ever left it there! Usually brought it up to the apartment. Still pains me to think of it. AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHH!
    Thanks for the info on the dodgy sellers.

I've had a look, but I can't find this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭blue chuzzle

i had my giant ocr 4 stolen from outside pearse st garda station in april and my girlfriend had her diamondback eastwood stolen from our front garden last week.

i got a focus cayo to replace it and she is getting a specialized dolce so its not all bad. neither of us will be able to cycle to and leave our bikes in town any more though...

What locks were you guys using who got a bike knicked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Went to cross the road and notice a Gard on a moter bike coming down the road. I got me bike back and yer man went for a drive with the Gards. Yer man was saying that he just bought it 10 minutes before for 100 yoyo.

How did you convince the Garda that the bike was yours?

Advertisement