Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chain skipping

• 22-12-2014 11:48am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been having problems for a while now with the chain skipping when I put a bit of extra weight in the pedals, e.g. starting on a hill at lights. Thought it might have been the chain or cassette, and have changed them both and replaced all the cables recently, both inners and outers to no avail. I've also re-indexed the rear mech, and it seems very crisp until there's a lot of resistance involved. The derailleur is a long cage campag veloce for triple, and I'm wondering are there any other adjustments I should be aware of other than indexing and limits (e.g. spring tension). Alternatively, I'm also aware that my middle chain ring is getting on, and am wondering would a worn chain ring lead to the chain skipping. Any thoughts on how to isolate and resolve this one greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Yes absolutely! It would be the first thing I'd inspect and the first thing I thought when I started reading your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭markusz

smacl wrote: »
    I've been having problems for a while now with the chain skipping when I put a bit of extra weight in the pedals, e.g. starting on a hill at lights. Thought it might have been the chain or cassette, and have changed them both and replaced all the cables recently, both inners and outers to no avail. I've also re-indexed the rear mech, and it seems very crisp until there's a lot of resistance involved. The derailleur is a long cage campag veloce for triple, and I'm wondering are there any other adjustments I should be aware of other than indexing and limits (e.g. spring tension). Alternatively, I'm also aware that my middle chain ring is getting on, and am wondering would a worn chain ring lead to the chain skipping. Any thoughts on how to isolate and resolve this one greatly appreciated.

happened to me 2 weeks ago... new chain and cassette and skipping like mad on any bit of a hill.
    the front chainrings were woren to bits... teeth were all gone. I picked up a 2nd hand tiagra groupset and put it on since. a new chainring was 50 euro and i had to get 2 of them so the groupset was the cheaper option in a way.

is it skipping in all chainrings at the front?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Worn chainrings,
    internally routed, very tights cables radii at frame exit/entry points?
    Loose hanger?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

ford2600 wrote: »
    Worn chainrings,
    internally routed, very tights cables radii at frame exit/entry points?
    Loose hanger?

Chain rings worth a look. If they're shaped like sharks fins could be the case.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Middle chain ring sounds like first port of call so, I've replaced the big ring recently enough, and don't have the legs to be anywhere near it on a hill in either case. May just look at getting a new crankset, as the BB is also on the way out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 835 ✭✭✭countrykid

If your riding the middle ring your used to a 39 tooth then,..
    Any interest in a brand new veloce standard 53/39 ultra torque black??
    €50..
    Brand spanking new
    Cups will send you back circa €20

countrykid wrote: »
    If your riding the middle ring your used to a 39 tooth then,..
    Any interest in a brand new veloce standard 53/39 ultra torque black??
    €50..
    Brand spanking new
    Cups will send you back circa €20

Thanks for the offer, and great price BTW, but I'd either want a compact or triple crank. No way would I get my fat ass up the hills on a standard double. Ordered a 42t middle ring on ebay, which will hopefully get me sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭bedirect

It could also be the free hub on The rear wheel

bedirect wrote: »
    It could also be the free hub on The rear wheel

Was thinking that myself, but kind of hoping not as its a fulcrum 7 wheel with sealed hubs that I'd have no clue how to service. I think it is less likely in this case, as at one of the chain skips at traffic lights the chain actually fell off.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

It could also be the jockey/derailleur wheels

• Advertisement

Muller_1 wrote: »
    It could also be the jockey/derailleur wheels

Could be, though they're new enough, and I clean and lube them regularly. Also concerned that it could be the spring on the rear mech losing some tension. If the problem is still happening with the new middle ring in place, I'll get the youngest to video it on a smartphone with the bike on the turbo.

Given I do all my own servicing, learning as I go, user error of some kind is always high on the suspect list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Garzard

Not to hijack you're thread, I've been having the same issue with my own bike lately while on 7th gear - every few pedal rotations and the chain will slip / skip for a second or two. The chain, chain-set and derailleur are relatively new, fitted during a service in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Garzard wrote: »
    Not to hijack you're thread, I've been having the same issue with my own bike lately while on 7th gear - every few pedal rotations and the chain will slip / skip for a second or two. The chain, chain-set and derailleur are relatively new, fitted during a service in August.

Sounds like a stiff chain link or the gears need to be adjusted correctly. Did you get a new chain fitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Garzard

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Sounds like a stiff chain link or the gears need to be adjusted correctly. Did you get a new chain fitted?

My last service included a new BB, new rear derailleur, new chain & chain-set, jockey and cables. It's more of an irritant than a problem, but the bike's also been acting sluggishly lately - not knowledgeable enough on these things to know if the two are related.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Garzard wrote: »
    My last service included a new BB, new rear derailleur, new chain & chain-set, jockey and cables. It's more of an irritant than a problem, but the bike's also been acting sluggishly lately - not knowledgeable enough on these things to know if the two are related.

When you say 7th gear..is that your smallest cog??
    The reason I'm asking is you have a new chain on there and maybe it wasn't shortened to suit your bike...this would mean your derailler spring wouldn't be able to take up the slack,have a look and see if there is nice tension still in your derailler in this gear.
    The only other thing you haven't changed is the rear cassette by the sounds of it and this would usually wear before your front rings.
    Marty.

Advertisement