Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

portmarnock beach this evening

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Watching the various videos, its clearly a riot involving large numbers of people. And its clear a group of African Irish(insert PC name here) and whites(insert PC name here) of whatever nationality throwing objects violently at each other.

I notice also RTE are not reporting this incident yet most other media outlets have, very suspicious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I think this was purely a case of yob culture, fed by teenagers in huge numbers drinking way too much on a rare sunny day - this time people are saying racism was a factor, but honestly if they were all of the same ethnicity it would still have happened. It's always going to happen until there are laws and proper policing in place.
    Unfortunately in Ireland the few bad eggs are allowed to ruin things for the majority of decent people. As an example, Donabate beach is beautiful and was very easily accessible for everyone, especially families with young children because you could bring your car onto the beach. Once the boy racers hit it, it was gated off day and night instead of being policed. A typical Irish solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Anyone else thinking war of the buttons from the footage.....

Just me then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

Truly tragic that kids today are showing such racist attitudes :mad:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=591448344220837

and a very good reply from a young man on it who has been dating an irish girl for 3 years :)
    'A load of maltesers rolling' not "alouda malteasers rollin". 'Black *****' not "Blacks *****". (you're) not (your). '****' is spelled with 2 Gs otherwise it's not really offensive (not that it offends me either way), you are trying to be offensive right? After being in a relationship with an Irish girl for nearly three years I honestly don't understand how racism is even a thing, all i see are a bunch of hooligans who don't care about the well being of others and some victims who just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. However if you choose be racist and refer to us as uncivilized monkeys etc you should at least try to pretend that you are civilized and fix your grammar.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Jesus. That facebook page makes for depressing reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I just read it myself. Dire. The mentality of some beggars belief. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭gerarda

Sgt. Weston knows how to deal with this problem..

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

One or two mounted police patrolling trouble spots such as Portmarnock would help a lot

The Gardai would have a good view from horseback, the horses wouldn't have any problem with the terrain and it's not intimidating for ordinary beach users

Even before any punches / bottles were thrown these idiots were breaking the law by drinking in public
    No doubt they were littering and noise polluting too

Everyone knows the Gardai are under resourced but intelligent use of existing resources would also be good.

Presumably it would have taken a bit of time for the 100's of youth to make their way to Portmarnock by public transport
    So maybe quicker reporting and response from the Gardai would also help.

I'm sure lots of the teens were just looking on and not directly involved in any of the trouble but the longer situations like this are tolerated the worse it'll get.

It is truly shameful that a minority of idiots are given the opportunity to wreak havoc without any fear of consequences.

We only get a few nice days every year, the beach is a free amenity for all to enjoy and these saps ruined that.

It shouldn't have been possible for it to get to a point where hundreds of them when on the beach drinking in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

DyldeBrill wrote: »
    Sick an tired of this pathetic behavior from absolute scum!

I'm a Malahide resident myself and the likes of these people flocked the malahide area as well as Portmarnock today, walking around with bottles and shouting at people! Now I'm no angel myself, but the majority of these people were out for trouble from the word go!

The Garda were slow(yet again) to react to the disturbances and if you have seen the video above, you will see them standing around taking pictures whilst a girl lies unconscious on the ground!

The worst thing about it is, nothing will ever change when comes to the Gardaí! Now not all Garda are slackers and I know many a dedicated Garda, but as a whole I find them an absolute joke and would find it very hard to lay my faith in them!

I'd say in this case due to there only being 2 both Garda were taking videos of what was going on below to aid in prosecution if they could identify people involved through them. Reality is with that many scum going out on the train there should have been more Gardai there taking cans off them and issuing warnings, try to move as many on as possible before trouble breaks out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Kind of off-topic, but on Reddit this afternoon, the following are the two top items regarding Ireland.

em9U5K9.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭Norfolk Enchants

Kind of off-topic, but on Reddit this afternoon, the following are the two top items regarding Ireland.

em9U5K9.png

Una kavanaghs whole sthiiiick is look at me, im Vietnamese, but im Irish and I speak Irish. With a Kerry accent!?!

A shameless wannabe and self promoter.

Ducktales.

Lads - Either keep your posts in this thread relevant to the Dublin County North forum or start a new thread elsewhere.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

First of all, says who?

The key term is "race riot". It was not a riot. Nowhere near. It was a scrap, by all accounts.

Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act, 1994

full_text.pngView Full Act legdir.png Legislation Directory Entrybtn_previous.gif btn_next.gif

Riot.
    14.—(1) Where—

(a) 12 or more persons who are present together at any place (whether that place is a public place or a private place or both) use or threaten to use unlawful violence for a common purpose, and

(b) the conduct of those persons, taken together, is such as would cause a person of reasonable firmness present at that place to fear for his or another person's safety,

then, each of the persons using unlawful violence for the common purpose shall be guilty of the offence of riot.

(2) For the purposes of this section—

(a) it shall be immaterial whether or not the 12 or more persons use or threaten to use unlawful violence simultaneously at any place;

(b) the common purpose may be inferred from conduct;

(c) no person of reasonable firmness need actually be, or be likely to be, present at that place.

(3) A person guilty of an offence of riot shall be liable on conviction on indictment to a fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years or to both.

(4) The common law offence of riot is hereby abolished.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1994/en/act/pub/0002/sec0014.html#sec14

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

returnNull wrote: »
    and a very good reply from a young man on it who has been dating an irish girl for 3 years :)

Ha, Ovie is a talented photographer/videographer too, his missus is fecking amazeballs as well.

Anyway, back on topic.

Yesterday morning I was in Dun Laoghaire, I got the Dart back into the the city at about 1.30. Landed back into Connelly station at sometime before 2. I get off the drat and the platform is ****ing wedged with hundreds of kids aged about 14-20, dressed for the beach with bags of cans. Half of them are already ****faced at this stage. And more of them were flocking in from outside.
    I've no doubt most of the lads involved in the fighting in portmarnock were hammered drunk before lunch time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Was on the bus (42) yesterday about 4ish and there were groups of kids (14/17) drinking and trying to get on the buses to Malahide. Drivers were told over radio not to stop for them.

This is why we can't have nice things:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We have beautiful beaches here in the North County, and it's bad enough that no money is spent on amenities. This sort of thing makes people want to visit them even less.

We have beautiful beaches here in the North County, and it's bad enough that no money is spent on amenities. This sort of thing makes people want to visit them even less.

Fully agree with the above but really the main reason for keeping me away from a beach on a sunny day in Dublin is simply the scrote bags depicted in the videos posted. Its the same everywhere you go a festival, concert, beach zoo park there will be some knacker with a bag of cans ruining it for everyone else (this also goes for the southside of Dublin and other parts of the country)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

This was an ongoing problem from about Lunch time yesterday and the Gardaí have serious questions to answer about how it was allowed to escalate to the point it got to by 18:00.

This is not uncommon on this beach, and the control involved would have been very simple from putting Gardaí at the train stations in Malahide and Portmarnock to stop those involved even getting to the beach in the first place.

The original footage is taken less than 200 yards from the vehicle access point for the beach and the Gardaí should have flooded the beach in a show of force earlier in the day to stop the situation escalating.

I dont think the core of this is a race issue, it is just scum bags being scumbags for the sake of it they take every opportunity they can to act the bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

it wasnt a race thing..these were just scum who thought it was funny shouting stuff...they noisy ones were all quite rough sounding..but there wasnt menace in the threats..more of a goading "for the craic"...but it was a sad situation..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭Norfolk Enchants

To those that claim race was not an issue - have you listened to the FM 104 discussion from last night? Race was the issue. The African who instigated the riot, claimed as much, live on air.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Fattes wrote: »

This is not uncommon on this beach, and the control involved would have been very simple from putting Gardaí at the train stations in Malahide and Portmarnock to stop those involved even getting to the beach in the first place.

On what grounds could have the Gardai have stopped these youths going to the beach before the trouble started?

The Muppet wrote: »
    On what grounds could have the Gardai have stopped these youths going to the beach before the trouble started?

I was in town getting the 42 home (this bus goes to Malahide/Portmarnock) and the guards were having trouble with them then. Seriously anyone could see where they were all off to and predict what was going to happen but typically n Ireland they let it all kick off and then watch it happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

Khannie wrote: »
    Jesus. That facebook page makes for depressing reading.
    this is what you need khannie to finish your post
    tumblr_m7oq5k17pY1r3084q.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Perhaps yesterday's event was a race issue, but as someone who has lived there all my life, having to deal with this shit every time the sun shines in the Summer for the last 6 years or so, I can tell you that regardless of if the people there were black, blue, purple or orange, there would have been trouble. Every year it happens, every year there are assurances from the gardai that they have a plan in action for sunny days to prevent the trouble, every years the plan is forgotten about and then you have the trouble on the scale of yesterday (though in relative terms, yesterday wasn't actually that by comparison). I've seen people stabbed down there with my own eyes twice in the last 4 years.

Every one of the hundreds of kids there are pissed off their heads. Why the gardai can't search people getting off the trains and buses for cans I'll never know.

The Muppet wrote: »

Open alcohol containers in public, public drunkeness, underage drinking (not sure if any of those could have stopped them getting onto the beach, but they are things that I'd be certain are against the law). They could have at least confiscated their drink from them.

To those that claim race was not an issue - have you listened to the FM 104 discussion from last night? Race was the issue. The African who instigated the riot, claimed as much, live on air.

You keep pressing this point home in your posts, and in a group that size there may have been many incidents caused by different individuals. It's not relevant to the discussion we're having about the correct policing of outdoor amenities because this sort of thing happens too often. Yobs drinking too much and ruining decent peoples' enjoyment. It's always happened here in Ireland.

Consider this a warning - stop banging on about the same thing over and over and either post something constructive or don't post at all.

Enough of the race tit-for-tat & riot definition pettiness! It is going nowhere. If you wish to discuss those as a topic - take it to Humanities or back to AH or whereever.

The thread was moved to DCN - so local charter applies. That means that the topic should be relevant to the locality. It is not my issue if mods of other forums have closed threads relating to this incident. Based on some of the crap in here I'm half inclined to close this one too.

Wider issues regarding racism in Ireland, policing effectiveness, etc should be discussed in the relavant forums.

Next poster who goes on about racial issues, definition of a riot & takes the thread off-topic gets a 'boards holiday' to go with their Bank Holiday.

tHB

no revenue to be collected from policing such disturbances.. more money to be made by policing the roads.

The Gardai were pretty heavy-handed for enforcing the €50 fine for open alcohol containers in public a few years ago, if they did that yesterday they'd have made a nice few quid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

The Gardai were pretty heavy-handed for enforcing the €50 fine for open alcohol containers in public a few years ago, if they did that yesterday they'd have made a nice few quid.

didn't even know there was such a law... they should clean up this summer in that case.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement