Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peats Parnell St

• 27-06-2009 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

Went to buy printer in Peats today. Ok, it was an impulse buy, but anyways. I bought:

Canon Pixma ip4600 - E139
    5 x Color Cartriges - 5* 22.49 5 = 112.45

and a got a 10 off for a discount, total: 251.45

Went home and checked the Komplett.ie:
    Pixma ip4600 - E89.00
    cartriges: E11.85

If I would've bought it in komplett, I'd pay:
    89 + 11.85*5 = 148.25

ONE HUNDRED EUROS cheaper...

alright there'd be postage at about E20, but still.

I think it's ok for street shops to put on 20-30% for convenience and whatever, but to charge 100 more on 150E worth of goods it's a bit ^%Ј"$%
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭lau1247

take it as lesson learnt..
    Always check things out before buying..
    Never impulse buy..

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

so you did no research, bought something on a whim and now are calling peats rip off merchants?

The problem is not with peats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Totally your own fault OP. Shops are free to charge whatever people will pay.

An expensive lesson. Only option might be to return the printer and purchase from Komplett.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Caveat emptor and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

ntlbell wrote: »
    so you did no research, bought something on a whim and now are calling peats rip off merchants?

Eh, Maplins look 'good value' compared to them, price wise.

Peats, sadly, changed when they moved from the other side of the road, a glitzy shop does not mean people will leave their brain at the entrance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

peats have a good selection of stock that rotates quickly .they have a few members of staff who know there stuff and are very helpfull

everyone knows there stock is overpriced on almost everything but if you need something quickly they can usually help or tell you where to go to find it.

if you bought the item yesterday and want to return it . they should be able to refund it without any problem once it is unopened.

i think there T&c are on the back of the receipt

its sunny enjoy the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Amalgam wrote: »
    a glitzy shop does not mean people will leave their brain at the entrance.

The OP proves otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

B0rG wrote: »
    Went to buy printer in Peats today. Ok, it was an impulse buy, but anyways. I bought:

Canon Pixma ip4600 - E139
    5 x Color Cartriges - 5* 22.49 5 = 112.45

and a got a 10 off for a discount, total: 251.45

Went home and checked the Komplett.ie:
    Pixma ip4600 - E89.00
    cartriges: E11.85

If I would've bought it in komplett, I'd pay:
    89 + 11.85*5 = 148.25

ONE HUNDRED EUROS cheaper...

alright there'd be postage at about E20, but still.

I think it's ok for street shops to put on 20-30% for convenience and whatever, but to charge 100 more on 150E worth of goods it's a bit ^%Ј"$%

Komplett postage wouldn't be as much as that, and I think that this week you don't have to pay anything if you pick up from their Ballycoolin depot.

I thought that everyone shopped around these days, but there are obviously exceptions.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sounds normal to me, if you knew about the existance of komplett beforehand I dunno why you would even think of buying in peats.
    I think it's ok for street shops to put on 20-30%
    The likes of memory cards have up to 400% put on, pretty common knowledge for anybody who uses the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You walk into Peats you see your printer and cartages "now" you pay a very high price for the privilege of "now".

You buy from Komplett.ie you wait two to three days for your printer. Komplett do not have the massive overheads as Peats for stock and do not pay rates in a prime high street retail location so they can pass on these savings.

Peats HDDS are very competitive, got one off them last weekend. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭rednik

I love going into Peats to view any items I might be buying and see them in operation and then leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

ntlbell wrote: »
    Although the PM screwed up, the problem is with Peats. Simply they are charging too much for merchandise. And this needs to be highlighted.
    I went to Peats on Saturday and saw a Sony 32 inch Full Definition TV for €1299. It is available on Komplett for €799.
    Where do they get off charging these prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭whippet

Although the PM screwed up, the problem is with Peats. Simply they are charging too much for merchandise. And this needs to be highlighted.
    I went to Peats on Saturday and saw a Sony 32 inch Full Definition TV for €1299. It is available on Komplett for €799.

You’d get a pain in your face telling people that shops can charge what they like for anything in reality. Customers don’t have to pay it.

Peats are expensive, but tell me, if you were an uninformed buyer for that TV … you’d want to have a look at it, play with it and maybe talk to someone about it, you can’t do that with Komplett.

Komplett have a different business model to peats and therefore their pricing will be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

While Im not saying Peats are great value, you have to take into account the prices of shop rent, insurance, staff wages and the lesser bulk buying power of a shop the size of peats compaired to a huge company like komplett. I agree Peats ae pricey but you will never get the same sort of deals retail as you would online. Peats staff also really know there stuff unlike alot of Irish retailers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Komplett is an online store, wouldn't it have much cheaper anyway as they have less costs? That's what I'd imagine. I've always found buying online for something cheaper.

I have shopped at Peats before, nothing major just some speakers and they were alright, plus they have lots of electronic stuff you won't find elsewhere, those littles bits and pieces. Sorry the OP feels hard done by, could always go back with his receipt but impulse buying is also regretable I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Venom wrote: »
    you have to take into account the prices of shop rent, insurance, staff wages and the lesser bulk buying power of a shop the size of peats compaired to a huge company like komplett.
    No, I think Peats do. maybe get rid of some staff, and negotiate cheaper rent, cut pay. like the Public Service.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

No, I think Peats do. maybe get rid of some staff, and negotiate cheaper rent, cut pay. like the Public Service.:D

Ahh negotiate rent, cut staff. It's all so simple. I don't know how that was missed.

Landlords all over the country are upping rents by as much as 50%. There is a shopping centre up in Letterkenny which upped the rent on a shoeshop by around 40-50% and the same on a newsagents despite a drop in business in Letterkenny of around 40%.
    There have been several closures in around Grafton street recently due to landlords upping rents. Wasn't there some shop owner on Gerry Ryan or Joe Duffy a few months back? She had to close business as she couldn't sustain the crazy levels of rent.

Incidentally staff levels have dropped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Ahh negotiate rent, cut staff. It's all so simple. I don't know how that was missed.

Landlords all over the country are upping rents by as much as 50%. There is a shopping center up in Letterkenny which upped the rent on a shoeshop by around 40-50% and the same on a newsagents despite a drop in business in Letterkenny of around 40%.
    There have been several closures in around Grafton street recently due to landlords upping rents. Wasn't there some shop owner on Gerry Ryan or Joe Duffy a few months back? She had to close business as she couldn't sustain the crazy levels of rent.

Incidentally staff levels have dropped.
    Maxburns have pulled out of Bachelors walk because of a potential treat of a 40% rent increase. They have now moved back to Avonbeg estate in Tallaght. I'm delighted because the greedy landlord now has had an empty building for the last six months and it looks as if it will be going no where in the foreseeable future. The same is repeated right across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Have to agree with all on this. I personally like going into Peats and browse. May buy small things like adaptars or cables/tools but when it comes to buying bigger and more expensive items I will wait a few days and make myself a nice saving :)

whippet wrote: »
    Peats are expensive, but tell me, if you were an uninformed buyer for that TV … you’d want to have a look at it, play with it and maybe talk to someone about it, you can’t do that with Komplett.
    The smart punter goes to the B&M shop to check it out, then buys online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Cassidy in Dublin

I went to Peats on Parnell St to get 2gig RAM. When I went in I said I was having trouble finding it in the city. The guy then handed it to me and said it was 60 euro.. I said, "60 euro!, I saw it on the internet for 30 sterling." And in a perfect example of customer service, he said, "Well why don't you go live in New York then?" So I went around the corner to the Hua Wei Chinese computer store on Capel st. and found what I wanted for 38 euro. I suggest you do the same especially if you have an accent that the Dubliners at Peats won't recognize as one of their own. And the Chinese guy was polite.

I said, "60 euro!, I saw it on the internet for 30 sterling."
    Did you check peats price online before going in? Surely you did not expect a "bricks & mortar shop" to be the same price as an online shop.
    I suggest you do the same especially if you have an accent that the Dubliners at Peats won't recognize as one of their own.
    Are you really suggesting peats (presumably automated) accounts system has 2 or more price tier systems depending on peoples accents/nationality?

Was the Chinese one the same brand & speed/spec etc

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Zombie thread - closed

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement