Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter Jacket

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭barrymac20

300 quid on a jacket! Christ, what am i getting myself in to!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭f1000

Christ Indeed! You can pick up a DHB Windslam for 40 yo-yo's right now. I use one with a 200gsm full sleeve merino and am still cosy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

barrymac20 wrote: »
    300 quid on a jacket! Christ, what am i getting myself in to!

I've nowhere near that sort of cash to drop on a jacket - bearing in mind that's one of a suite of items to combat cold weather. They are good and people swear by them. One of the guys i ride with had one (gabba) on a few weeks back - said it's the best thing he ever bought.

In the coldest weather we had a few years ago I was fine in a merino base layer and wind proof (gore windstopper) Jersey. On one morning I braved minus 10 on the mountain bike commuting to the city - a micro fleece underneath and I was toasty. Fair enough some of the more expensive ones might do it all (ie have decent water proofing).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭dunworth1

What are people's views on the gore jackets

From what I gather these are soft-shell that are waterproof

I used goretex boots for hiking and found them fantastic but obviously a cycling jacket Is a different ball game

dunworth1 wrote: »
    What are people's views on the gore jackets

From what I gather these are soft-shell that are waterproof

I used goretex boots for hiking and found them fantastic but obviously a cycling jacket Is a different ball game

Soft shell jerseys will have gore windstopper material (or similar) - mine has liner in the sleeves, front and some of the sides - the back is standard fabric. So not entirely waterproof - it'll handle a shower.

Perhaps some of the more expensive jerseys double as a decent waterproof solution.

I use an outer waterproof / breathable shell if it's raining heavy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I've nowhere near that sort of cash to drop on a jacket - bearing in mind that's one of a suite of items to combat cold weather. They are good and people swear by them. One of the guys i ride with had one (gabba) on a few weeks back - said it's the best thing he ever bought.

In the coldest weather we had a few years ago I was fine in a merino base layer and wind proof (gore windstopper) Jersey. On one morning I braved minus 10 on the mountain bike commuting to the city - a micro fleece underneath and I was toasty. Fair enough some of the more expensive ones might do it all (ie have decent water proofing).

the gabba's are a wonderful jacket, no getting away from it. i just didn't find them as warm as people claim, some can get by with only a single base layer under them, no way could i manage that on anything approaching zero.

i should add a caveat, i'm typically cold anyway, running/cycling i'll typically have an extra/heavier layer than the other people i;m with. anything under 10 degrees running i use gloves. so not the best example probably.

i wouldn;t, and didn;t pay 300 for the gabba, got it on sale as the gabba 2 was coming out, for 120euros. worth every penny of that. the windslam, if it's only 40 at the moment, is a steal, and highly recommeneded

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Diggabot wrote: »
    I just got a Sportful Fiandre jacket... it has their No Rain fabric and Windstopper too so its warm & dry. You only really need a good baselayer underneath it.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/sportful-fiandre-no-rain-jacket-aw14/rp-prod110107

Whats the sizing like on this jacket, just to give you an idea I am normally XL on santini Giordana and Spiuk clothing but XXl on Castelli...

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭bwalsh1983

Got a gabba last winter, super piece of kit.

Got a gabba fawsome vest before Apring. Same, great.

Got a Sportful survival Jacket before this winter.

All in all they were 3 expensive items but spread out I have got huge and varied use out of them and for the few very cold rides or cold and wet so far this winter any a combination of all three or two have handled everything.

Very cold ride last weekend and caught in an awful shower, was home bone dry after getting the survival jacket on and warm with the two gabba layers.

Thanks - ordered the phantom 2.0 - works out at €63 including the current discount promotion. Absolute steal for a quality jacket - arms detach as well for use as a gilet.

• Advertisement

i went in to look at the contest jacket but i looked like a normal rain jacket where as i'm looking for more of a softshell type one

i liked the look and feel of the phantom which they had in my size but was €99
    i asked the guy at the counter as its 70 online and he said to get that price i will have to reserve it online so have to wait until the 30th

.....he said to get that price i will have to reserve it online so have to wait until the 30th

Yeah sorry should have said its reserve and collect the 30th - not in a major rush myself for it, so Santa can wait....

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭bazzer86

Question, could someone recommend a jacket that would be compatible for both mountain biking and road biking, preferably florescent...Would ideally like to have something that is relatively light windproof and slightly waterproof.. budget would be up to €200. Think Mavic seems to serve the best purpose in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Some great info here.

Looking for a jacket also but sub €100 that is...
    - windproof
    - waterproof
    - tight/performance/race cut
    - very breathable (eg arm pit zips/vents) as its short fast cycling I do rather than long slow (not a boil in a bag)
    - has some hi-vis detail
    - if can fold up into rear pocket would be a bonus
    - long back/tail as on the drops more than the hoods

Not asking for much am I!

Loads on sale I see on wiggle but just which one! Any comments on below....
    - Altura vapour
    - Altura night vision evo
    - b'twin 700
    - dhb cosmo
    - dhb EQ2.5

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭paudie2005

viperlogic wrote: »
    Some great info here.

Looking for a jacket also but sub €100 that is...
    - windproof
    - waterproof
    - tight/performance/race cut
    - very breathable (eg arm pit zips/vents) as its short fast cycling I do rather than long slow (not a boil in a bag)
    - has some hi-vis detail
    - if can fold up into rear pocket would be a bonus
    - long back/tail as on the drops more than the hoods

Not asking for much am I!

Loads on sale I see on wiggle but just which one! Any comments on below....
    - Altura vapour
    - Altura night vision evo
    - b'twin 700
    - dhb cosmo
    - dhb EQ2.5

I use the DHB EQ2.5. Its a good jacket. Have been out in all sorts of weather for the last 2 years in it and find it very comfortable and fully waterproof without being 'boil in the bag'. For low temperature I just put it with a heavy base layer and lighter base layer for warmer temperatures. I wouldn't say its a real performance fit but likewise doesn't flap about, just a bit on the bulkier side as there's a few layers to the jacket. Its not something that could be folded up into the back pocket. I'm just under 5ft 8" and the medium is a good fit with decent length on the back and arms. As a comparison I also use a 'sportful hotpack no rain stretch jacket' and find the DHB more comfortable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

McQuaids in glasnevin had a few softwhell winter jackets at 50 percent off. There 2012/2013 models mostly but I got a spiuk team jacket for around 60 quid.

They had 2 more left I think in large, a few adidas in other sizes. No xl in anything, Very snug fit but seems like it will stand a decent shower

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/spiuk-team-jacket-2012/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Went ahead and purchased this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/sportful-fiandre-no-rain-jacket-aw14/rp-prod110107
    Went out for a spin this morning was spilling when I left just done over an hour as the toes were falling of me, this jacket is warm and mostly water repellent, I had a canterbury base layer and a a long sleeve vest on under was toaty warm the only rain it let in was in through the pocket which was opened for the first 15 minutes, happy enough with it need the toes sorted now...

ive order this jacket seems good for the price
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-wiggle-honda-2-in-1-softshell-jacket

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

Just pulled the trigger on a castelli muur

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mgbgt0_0

Thanks - ordered the phantom 2.0 - works out at €63 including the current discount promotion. Absolute steal for a quality jacket - arms detach as well for use as a gilet.
    Hi
    Did you receive the jacket, I ordered one online and when I went to collect it I was told that it never came in and they have no more stock and dont know if they will be getting any more in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

I went ahead and got the Altura Vapour

mgbgt0_0 wrote: »
    Hi
    Did you receive the jacket, I ordered one online and when I went to collect it I was told that it never came in and they have no more stock and dont know if they will be getting any more in

Yep got a call today it was in (meant to be yesterday but I couldn't hack the traffic in Blanchardstown anyway). I reserved an xl in coolock in error as well btw - realised it was the wrong halfords but couldn't cancel it

bazzer86 wrote: »
    Question, could someone recommend a jacket that would be compatible for both mountain biking and road biking, preferably florescent...Would ideally like to have something that is relatively light windproof and slightly waterproof.. budget would be up to €200. Think Mavic seems to serve the best purpose in my view.

After spending hours online looking for something decent, went into Halfrods by chance and came accoss this on the rail.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear-contest-20-windstopper-active-shell-jacket/

Got it for €63 which appears to be good value given it's sale price on wiggle. It's shower proof is well according to the reviews. Ideal

bazzer86 wrote: »
    After spending hours online looking for something decent, went into Halfrods by chance and came accoss this on the rail.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear-contest-20-windstopper-active-shell-jacket/

Got it for €63 which appears to be good value given it's sale price on wiggle. It's shower proof is well according to the reviews. Ideal

Same as the one I referred to above - have had different manufacturer's windstopper stuff before - this jersey looks like the perfect item and at the price a steal. Will be trying it out on Sunday on what is forecast to be a chilly morning.

The sleeveless gilet option will mean it can be used almost all year around as well.

Same as the one I referred to above - have had different manufacturer's windstopper stuff before - this jersey looks like the perfect item and at the price a steal. Will be trying it out on Sunday on what is forecast to be a chilly morning.

The sleeveless gilet option will mean it can be used almost all year around as well.

Didn't even realise it turns into a gilet. That's great. Tis a smashing jacket

Oh sorry I got the phantom 2.0 which does have detachable arms, not sure if the one you've linked does. Great jacket though - report to follow after Sunday's trip

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

This is on sale for 45 on planet x at the moment. Only found one review which said it is tight sizing (from an american if that matters). Agu do pretty good pannier bags is all I know

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLAGVAWPJ/agu-valero-softshell-windproof-jacket

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

paudie2005 wrote: »
    I use the DHB EQ2.5. Its a good jacket.

Picked up one of these in November and very pleased with it. Only downside is the rather small zipped back pocket. I'd usually have bananas and bars in my back pockets on long spins so I can eat on the move, and this is more awkward with this jacket. Being able to unzip air vents in the sides is very handy climbing on a cold day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭jamesd

smacl wrote: »
    Picked up one of these in November and very pleased with it. Only downside is the rather small zipped back pocket. I'd usually have bananas and bars in my back pockets on long spins so I can eat on the move, and this is more awkward with this jacket. Being able to unzip air vents in the sides is very handy climbing on a cold day.

Do they keep the rain out ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

jamesd wrote: »
    Do they keep the rain out ?

Yes, good waterproofs once all the zips are closed. Bought as a replacement to a lightweight jacket that failed miserably in this regard.

Advertisement