Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Starting out on your own

• 22-01-2014 5:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭

Normally, when I've been learning a language, it's been through school or in a structured environment with a tutor.

Currently, I'm in the starting stages of planning a trip to Tokyo and beyond that I plan to take in the next 12-18 months. I'm a bit of a Japanophile or Weeaboo if you will, and this trip is long overdue.

I've recently made a decision to make it easier on myself that in order to get about and interact when I'm there, to learn some of the basics of the language, again, long overdue. As such, I'm starting with the Hiragana.

Now, I've just purchased Let's Learn Hiragana with a view to learning some Katakana after this, but my issue is that, I've only really studied languages in class. I realise of course that, if I'm going to get anything out of it, I have to put in the work. That part doesn't bother me as I'm quite motivated.

The bit that worries me, is how to get it to sink in without someone structuring the learning for me. I'm guessing that, with most languages, its all repetition, repetition and more repetition. In an ideal world, I'd like to learn on my own, as well as take in some lectures or classes, but, sadly, there isn't much desire for either here in Belfast.

My main question is, how did you guys do it?

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

aaronh007 wrote: »
    I'm a bit of a Japanophile or Weeaboo if you will

Good, this'll work in your favour. If you're learning a language, it's best to be exposed to that language regularly, for example my other half is brushing up on her German and is working with German people so she's regularly hearing the language spoken. So if you're a weeaboo and you're regularly watching anime, or movies, or listening to music in Japanese, then you're going to keep being exposed to the language. That way, when you learn something, you'll keep hearing it and it's much easier to remember.

Of course something like watching anime isn't studying, you're still going to have to put in the hard work and study, but it can be a great way of revising what you have studied when you've switched off from study mode. Also you have the gratification of going "Ah! I understood that!" even if it's just a word that you've recognised here and there. It can also motivate and interest you in other ways, often times there'll be a word that I keep hearing and I'll look it up.

It's a great way of working on your listening and comprehension too.

It might not be what you'd think to watch, but try look at some anime that's aimed at very young children, like this:

The language used is very simple and slowly spoken, so it's much easier to try and listen and understand with something like this than with media that's aimed to older audiences. There's even some hiragana and simple kanji used so you can keep trying to read it if you want. Silly little show, but great for practicing your listening.

Other than that, keep asking things. If you find something difficult, ask. If you don't know what a word is, ask. There really should be a thread here for "Small questions that don't deserve their own thread" because it'd get used loads I think.

But honestly, it wouldn't take long to get some basics if you just wanted enough to get by in Japan. When I went there, I got by easily enough just knowing how to order food, or how to ask where something was, thanks, please, etc. Now I'm working towards getting my Japanese more to a conversational level, but for going on holiday, it's not too difficult to get by.

Hope that helps! ;)

がんばってね

Advertisement