Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are the main things to do in a driving test

• 20-11-2012 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi i have a driving test in the next 2 weeks and i am just wondering(making sure) what are the main things you will be asked to do in the driving test?
    Turn about
    Reverse around corner
    Roundabout.

Any other main things?

Thanks for helping!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭kilograms

observation is the biggest fails

• Registered Users Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭kirving

Don't give the examiner an excuse to fail you, make sure you look around properly before doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Hill Start

Theory - don't stress out about this TOO much but it's good to get them right so you're not starting with a grade 2 fault already.

Observation is what most people fail on, don't forget to check your blind spot when pulling out, check your mirrors regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭united2k11

LizT wrote: »
    Hill Start

Theory - don't stress out about this TOO much but it's good to get them right so you're not starting with a grade 2 fault already.

Observation is what most people fail on, don't forget to check your blind spot when pulling out, check your mirrors regularly.

Oh yes i forgot about the hill start.

Just a question about the reversing into a parking spot, if the vehicle isn't reversing between the two lines, are you able to go forward in the car to straighten the car up, and reverse straight back?
    Someone said to me that you can, but i don't you can. Any help is great appreciated.

Thanks to the other replies aswel!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭slim223

united2k11 wrote: »

Oh yes i forgot about the hill start.

Just a question about the reversing into a parking spot, if the vehicle isn't reversing between the two lines, are you able to go forward in the car to straighten the car up, and reverse straight back?
    Someone said to me that you can, but i don't you can. Any help is great appreciated.

Thanks to the other replies aswel!

When I done my test, I had reversed into the space before the test and when I returned to the test centre I drove straight into the space. No questions asked and passed first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Someone said to me that you can, but i don't you can
    Parallel parking is not generally requested during a category B test.

When parking prior to the test make sure you leave the car facing out as it will be easier than begining the test with a reverse. When returning drive forward into the spot to make it easier for yourself.

Contrary to popular belief there is no such thing a a "reverse around a corner". The examiner will ask you to pull in and park after passing a road to your left. He will they request you to reverse into the road that you have just passed. I realise that it amounts to the same thing but he won't say "reverse around the corner". It is simply known as the "reversing manoeuvre".

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭united2k11

Parallel parking is not generally requested during a category B test.

When parking prior to the test make sure you leave the car facing out as it will be easier than begining the test with a reverse. When returning drive forward into the spot to make it easier for yourself.

Contrary to popular belief there is no such thing a a "reverse around a corner". The examiner will ask you to pull in and park after passing a road to your left. He will they request you to reverse into the road that you have just passed. I realise that it amounts to the same thing but he won't say "reverse around the corner". It is simply known as the "reversing manoeuvre".

Thanks very much for both of your replies.
    So park the car facing out prior to the test would be the best idea, and when returning just park straight in?
    The instructor will not ask you to reverse into a parking spot as part of the test? If not..brilliant as i am not the best at that ,but am alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Like others have said, observation is the key, stay calm, keep checking those blind spots, the tester does not get into the car looking to fail you, only for you to prove you're competent in charge of a vehicle.

When you arrive at the test centre before the test, reverse into the parking spot, then when returning back from the test drive into the parking spot.

If you are unsure of any instruction given ask the tester again for clarification, don't chance it that you can guess what he wants you to do.

Try to take time to go over the road signs too, they ask you some questions before going out and it'll really help calm the nerves if you can answer them comfortably.

Best of luck, and make sure you come back here to tell us how you did! (I failed my test 1st time before even leaving the centre, so don't worry if you don't get it 1st time)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

The instructor won't ask you to reverse, just to park up so just drive straight into the spot

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭slim223

Thanks very much for both of your replies.
    So park the car facing out prior to the test would be the best idea, and when returning just park straight in?
    The instructor will not ask you to reverse into a parking spot as part of the test? If not..brilliant as i am not the best at that ,but am alright.

That's right.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

OP from the questions you've asked here I'd guess you've not been to an ADI for lessons, at least not in a while.
    My advice would be to go to an ADI who will be more than equipped to help you prepare for the test fully, doing so will put your mind at ease and make sure you are doing things correctly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Progress is another one they like to catch people on. Keep up with the traffic, but not too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

spurious wrote: »
    Progress is another one they like to catch people on. Keep up with the traffic, but not too much.

This^

Observation is easy to resolve, hill start and those are about control of the car, but progression has a lot about perception. This is the trickiest imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Reaction to hazards is another one to keep an eye on. Know when to cover your brake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Flurple

Just keep checking your mirrors youll pass before you turn the engine on

Advertisement