Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

worse routes in Raheny area?

• 04-11-2012 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

I do know how easy it is to pass in Raheny but I am doing my test there next week. which are the most awkward areas?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If they go up into Middle Third in Killester where there are cars parked either side of narrow roads and then they do you for being too close to them.

I did it six times in Raheny and failed them all, three weeks after the last one I got a cancellation in Finglas and passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Did it twice in Raheny, passed the second time.

Get a few lessons from Raheny based instructor, they'll bring you on the routes the testers use.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

spurious wrote: »
    If they go up into Middle Third in Killester where there are cars parked either side of narrow roads and then they do you for being too close to them.

I did it six times in Raheny and failed them all, three weeks after the last one I got a cancellation in Finglas and passed.

7 attempts to pass and they let you drive! That is ****ing scary:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I last did the test more than a year ago. since then I have been driving nearly every day.
    I intend to go around these areas and practice my reversing around corners. If they fail me I will reapply at a test centre that is 'easy'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

OP there are a few tricky parts in Raheny.

Often to start with they bring you past the Garda Station and out to turn right onto the Howth Road. If you indicate even a little too early, they can say it looked like you were turning into the car park before the junction.

There is a reverse turn spot up on Maryville Avenue, where as well as a reverse it is actually a slightly uphill turn.

There is a turn off Vernon Avenue/Sybill Hill down towards the coast end where immediately you go round the corner you are confronted with a line of parked cars on the left and more often than not an oncoming car.

A turn Swan's Nest Rioad into Swan's Nest avenue is easy to make a mistake on as the lines are barely visible. Similarly Springdale Road into Edenmore crescent.

There's one very nervous tester in Raheny, but most of them are OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

was out and about yesterday. there is an avenue near the test centre and I tried doing turnabouts there but the width of the road is the length of my car. they would hardly get me to do a turnabout there?

where is the best place to park at the test centre. I notice there is a curved drive in but the tester may not appreciate me parking on a curve? is it acceptable to park across the road?

Most people park over alongside the park railings.
    It means they will bring you either down past the Garda station or up along Maryville Road to start with.

They will do the turnabout somewhere where there is plenty of room, don't worry.
    Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

spurios wrote:

repsol wrote: »
    7 attempts to pass and they let you drive! That is ****ing scary:eek:

Exactly the same thing happened me; only difference was that it was 4 times in Raheny. The first time, I was only 17 and quite inexperienced. I would have been lucky to pass.

The remaining three times I was furious after they *barely* failed me on "impossible to fix" areas like "reactions to hazards". Not a single mark on mirrors, coasting / use of gears or any of the most frequent tasks you do when driving, and I know I made mistakes there.

All logic & rationale has gone out the window for me when it comes to regarding Raheny Test Centre. I can't stand the place nor the testers who I had to deal with at the time. Unfair of me, I know, but I can only go by my own empirical experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭TheCatsMeow

WetDaddy wrote: »
    All logic & rationale has gone out the window for me when it comes to regarding Raheny Test Centre. I can't stand the place nor the testers who I had to deal with at the time. Unfair of me, I know, but I can only go by my own empirical experience.

This seems to be a trending opinion towards Raheny which has made me decide to go for Finglas. I'm still a few months away and I don't want to pass the test if I'm not a good driver. It just seems Raheny is a bit hit and miss and the reasons aren't made clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Xers

Finglas also not that easy one... Passrate same(bit down there comapred to raheny-little)... i only did once so far... took a 2 yr break ( was bad idea).. Now we have only 2 choice in north ... i'm doing on 10th december...

If i park towrds watermill drive ( infront of test centre), will they take me to watermill road then to clontarf road n then to mount prospect ave or dollymount ave... it seems thats the best area in raheny even though some uphill.. thats where i wanted n there are few areas for turnabout n revers etc there...seems much better than in howth road areas...

• Advertisement

Xers wrote: »
    Finglas also not that easy one... Passrate same(bit down there comapred to raheny-little)... i only did once so far... took a 2 yr break ( was bad idea).. Now we have only 2 choice in north ... i'm doing on 10th december...

If i park towrds watermill drive ( infront of test centre), will they take me to watermill road then to clontarf road n then to mount prospect ave or dollymount ave... it seems thats the best area in raheny even though some uphill.. thats where i wanted n there are few areas for turnabout n revers etc there...seems much better than in howth road areas...

They might take you down to Watermill Road, make you do a left turn and then up the hill on Main Street (the lights ALWAYS seem to go red as you're approaching them) and then on into Edenmore. Edenmore quite good - flat enough roads, with only the odd bit of strange markings on the road. Or you could go up Main Street and on up Raheny Road and down Kilbarrack road to the coast, which is quite straightforward.

It's a bit of a lottery. I hope it goes OK for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Xers

I think you can turn the lottery like right or left by parking i suppose... if u park towards watermill drive they dont take u to maryville road ( i have practiced there ; not looking good), but chance for watermill road right turn n the rout i mentioned above...from there lottery either u said edenmore route or other on howth road.... But if u park in All Ss Park road... that the school area, Isn't it.. my time is 14:05 , i could manage finish b4 school time i hope.. but still there seemed to be most parked cars.. n if its busy i could get cars on both sides on starting.. then i fail there for not giving space even there is no space....

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭TheCatsMeow

Xers wrote: »

Finglas may have the same pass rate as Raheny but it doesn't seem to have anywhere near as many negative reviews. Good Luck with your test!

I was walking in Raheny last week and was about to cross the road (Watermill Road) in between parked cars when I saw a slow car approaching and decided to go back on the footpath incase it was someone doing their test. As it went by I saw the L plate and a tester in the passenger seat with his back facing towards me. Hope the guy passed.

Advertisement