Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Volvo Ocean Race 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭pepe00

will theu have in port race as well?

if yes that is mean that the winner will depend on the last in port race, which is starnge :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

pepe00 wrote: »
    do you know what place will they finish the race, I mean where they stop counting the time of that last leg?
    Go to this page:

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/racetracker/rdc.html

and in the line of icons across the top, there's a little globe with a plus or minus symbol on the far right, click that.

With that switched on it projects what will happen in the future with the boats, based on the weather etc. Just use the time slider at the bottom to see the predictions. Right now it's predicting an arrival of the first boats at about half two. (Times are in UTC, so you need to add an hour) I think it's a bit slow in Galway bay itself, so it might be a little earlier than that.

pepe00 wrote: »
    will theu have in port race as well?

if yes that is mean that the winner will depend on the last in port race, which is starnge :confused:
    Yes there will be a final in port race. On Saturday, it's worth six points.

Groupama are 25 points ahead at the moment. If they finish above 5th place in this leg, they will have won the entire race. There are also prizes for the in port race series, and for just winning the in port race itself, so there is a point to it. If Groupama finish fifth or sixth in this leg and puma win the leg (very unlikely, but anything can happen) then the entire nine month, 39000 nautical mile journey around the world race will be decided by the in port race in Galway next Saturday. As it is second, third etc will probably be decided by the in port race.

This is actually the first time in the volvo race history it's been this close. Usually the whole race would have been won a leg or two ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

fastnet9.jpg

Winds have dropped a bit overnight so boats should round the Fastnet over the next hour... Leading 4 boats within 1.5 miles of one another in very tight racing.

VOR hoping to get a chopper up for the rounding, but dependent on 3G signal at the rock.

VOR now predicting a finish at 03:00 am in Galway tomorrow morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Galway advertiser and independent are saying 8-9pm this evening. Wonder where they're getting that from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭squonk

Any good boat trips that you could recommend happening during the race? I wouldn't mind going out for a look around and if I need to book for the weekend, I'd do it today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Galway Bay Sailing Club Regatta 2012 is starting this afternoon.
    There will be racing today, Wednesday and Thursday.

The first start gun is at 16:00 this afternoon, and I'd imagine that the start line will be a little out from Nimmo Pier.
    There is almost 50 boats entered, all the competitive crews from GBSC and a number of high profile boats from visiting clubs. There are a couple 50ft+ yachts entered so should be an exciting event.

Pop down to the Docks around 3ish for a gander if you have any interest in sailing.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Playlist of Ryan Sheridan from last night :) Still 2 more to upload Stand up Tall and The Dreamer (the best songs :P)

Also please forgive the sketchy camera work, was to busy looking at him most of the time haha

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

squonk wrote: »
    Any good boat trips that you could recommend happening during the race? I wouldn't mind going out for a look around and if I need to book for the weekend, I'd do it today.

There is a small tent in the group of tents along the side of the harbour hotel and you can get info and book boat trips from there. There are different types of boat trips available and examples include a trip out to watch fireworks on Wed night and out to watch the racing next Sat.

A group of us did the rib trip yesterday which was great craic - 500 horse power, can do up to 60 mph though with us we did a max of 45 mph and that was plenty! €15 for 30 mins and €30 for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Boats have rounded the Fastnet and are now heading up the SW coast. Camper, Groupama and Telefonica are on AIS.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?mmsi=512003181&centerx=-9.459105&centery=51.29276&zoom=10&type_color=9

Camper seem to have taken the lead from Telefonica.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

The bridge. not dodgy, just very cheap looking.

bridge1.jpg

bridge2.jpg

I heard that Dara O Brien was very pis&ed off.
    marquee had 2,500 in it and he was getting paid for a crowd of only 2,000.
    He was livid and close to not going on stage. Ended up ripping into the state of the marquee a bit/took out his fustration....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

vulcan57 wrote: »
    Boats have rounded the Fastnet and are now heading up the SW coast. Camper, Groupama and Telefonica are on AIS.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?mmsi=512003181&centerx=-9.459105&centery=51.29276&zoom=10&type_color=9

So is the leader puma as Mar Mostro.
    The AIS only updates every few minutes and out of sych between them too so they appear to keep leap frogging each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Rickwellwood

GB FM news just now saying boat arrival to start between 3 and 4 am Wednesday morning at Galway docks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

J o e wrote: »
    Galway advertiser and independent are saying 8-9pm this evening. Wonder where they're getting that from.

Some unreliably informed businesses who want more of a crowd in the city tonight ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

vulcan57 wrote: »

Groupama is now ahead :) This will be tight!

EDIT: woops didn't see Puma

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

dinneenp wrote: »

bridge1.jpg

bridge2.jpg

Whats the story with the other eyesore in the water down from the bridge?
    Surely its not there just for advertising?

GB FM news just now saying boat arrival to start between 3 and 4 am Wednesday morning at Galway docks

WHAT !!, I know they've slowed down a good bit as they're heading into the wind at the moment, but I doubt very much if its going to take them 40 hours to get up the west coast !

bridge1.jpg

bridge2.jpg

Yeah, don't like to knock the Lets do it Galway group too much as overall they are doing us proud, but that bridge does look a bit like a Mecano set job !

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Rickwellwood

my bad vulcan - should of course have been 3-4am tuesday morning - cheers - thats my allowance of 1 senior moment for the day used up hopefully;)

• Advertisement

It's tonight, not tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

He was livid and close to not going on stage. Ended up ripping into the state of the marquee a bit/took out his fustration....

I didn't get that impression to be honest.

He said it was the longest tent he has played in in a long time.
    He also said welcome to the Global arena despite it being neither global or an arena!

It didn't even come across like that. The only three comments I remember was him referring to it as the Claddagh tent, the fact that it was bright outside the length of the tent and that 'despite commitments being made, you could still hear the music from the ice rink'. Sounded fairly good natured in fairness but he's a pro.

Ticketing seemed a shambolic affair. I went over to the Steamhouse to collect my tickets about 4 to be met with guys carting a PC out in a box. Once I went in there wasn't a PC to be seen and I was told that they were moving over to the Arena and ticketing would commence again at 6 over there. I headed over and had a few beers and took the place in and headed over to the Arena about 8. My tickets weren't printed out so I needed to chat to a guy there driving a computer. After queuing for him I got my tickets eventually and walked off but had a look before I went in to see that they were for another person with the same name as me and were for Apres Match the following day. I went back to the counter and, fair play to the people on the queue already who let me cut as I was beginning to wonder at this point if they'd even recorded my tickets or not. I got the right tickets the next time round but I came away thinking two things...

1. How come they publicised the Steamship House as the ticket office but then moved on Saturday afternoon?
    2. Could they not have decided to do that on Friday even, before the whole thing had started?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

J o e wrote: »

They got it from the Commander of the LE Ashling which is travelling behind them. This was based on wind speed this morning off the south coast

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I was at Dara too and I also got the impression he wasn't too impressed with the "Claddagh Tent" or the general organization, despite referring to it all in a fairly jokey manner! He said this was his first time in Galway for more than 7 years and followed that statement up with... "will ye build a fcuking venue lads!"

I also heard from a reliable source that the ticketing just before the event was chaotic and some people were turned away despite having paid?? I was sitting up near the front and stewards asked me a couple of times if all the seats on my row were taken - they were obviously looking to squeeze more people in. When I went in the door, my tickets were barely looked at - I could have had a ticket for the Eye cinema in my hand for all they knew :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

GastroBoy wrote: »
    Whats the story with the other eyesore in the water down from the bridge?
    Surely its not there just for advertising?
    That was used to put in the platform for the bridge.

Will it take them 12 hours to get from the bottom of Kerry to Galway? They seem to be making good progress. It'd be great to see them earlier, like 11 or 12 ish... take down the sales and use engines lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Volvo Ocean Race Galway are now saying between 2am and 4am.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

docks gates closed from 9pm - 2am due to low tide!!!!!

if there here at 10pm they wont get into the docks till 2

• Advertisement

is there any idea of what kind of crowds will be there?
    I'm guessing it won't be massive- Monday night, dodgy weather, pubs/nightclubs will be closed.
    I was thinking of going in to take photos but think now it's not worth it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement