Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idiotic Graffiti on Loopline rail bridge

• 09-11-2011 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭crushproof

Walking down towards Tara Street DART this morning and saw that some absolute idiots sprayed graffiti all over the finely painted buttresses of the bridge.
    No.1, I appreciate good graffiti, but how on earth these tags were able to be sprayed here without anyone noticing, no matter what time of day or night, is beyond me.
    And No.2, look at the Google view below of the bridge, it must have taken an awful lot of effort to do it, scrambling along the bridge and then leaning over the Liffey and spraying, why do these idiots go to the effort of spraying such crap? No appreciation for their city. :mad:

Google Street View

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Where on the bridge is it?

Idiots, is my opinion, and anyone who even thinks of coming into this thread to defend people doing criminal damage, don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Not at all defending them but I know why they do it because I use to do it myself.
    It's a rush, plain and simple. Once you get into graffiti there's a huge pull to go and out do yourself again and again. There's also a lot of respect to be gained from other artists for, "getting up". The more extreme and public the location the more brownie points you get.
    As I said, I'm not defending, just helping you understand why they do it.

And before anyone jumps on me for being a vandal, you can get off your high horse. It's a long time since I've been involved in it and I've had my punishments.

Edit: Should mention, I'm against this sort of thing now. It really is useless and annoying.

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Yep...idiots is right, makes the place look like a ghetto.... surely the Guards can spot this activity:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Sawyer Fierce Burglar

Anyone got any photos of the damage yet?.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

CianRyan wrote: »
    Not at all defending them but I know why they do it because I use to do it myself.
    It's a rush, plain and simple. Once you get into graffiti there's a huge pull to go and out do yourself again and again. There's also a lot of respect to be gained from other artists for, "getting up". The more extreme and public the location the more brownie points you get.

And before anyone jumps on me for being a vandal, you can get off your high horse. It's a long time since I've been involved in it and I've had my punishments.

Edit: Should mention, I'm against this sort of thing now. It really is useless and annoying.

A cowardly act of vandalism perpetrated by **** who'll never own property of thier own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Is it me or is there a UFO in that picture ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭crushproof

Anyone got any photos of the damage yet?.

May be around the area tomorrow, if so I'll get a few snaps. It's the usual scribble tagging, on 2 or 3 of the main piers of the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭CdeP

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I've yet to see an "artist" do graffiti in dublin. We have the lowest standard of graffiti in the world here. At least Grift seems to have stopped.
    Graffiti here just seems to be someones name written. We never get any cool stuff.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I've yet to see an "artist" do graffiti in dublin. We have the lowest standard of graffiti in the world here. At least Grift seems to have stopped.
    Graffiti here just seems to be someones name written. We never get any cool stuff.

Cool stuff my arse..why dont these people graffiti thier parents property?

• Advertisement

This, this sort of attitude is why people don't post on boards.
    Don't drive people away like that, you're just driving away opinions.
    CdeP wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    Paparazzo wrote: »

Maser is a great artists and is commissioned not only in Dublin but around the world.
    don't spout this kind of **** without doing some research first.

I'm sure any Dub would recognise at least one of these
    47.jpg&aspect=0&height=415
    52.jpg&aspect=0&height=415
    28.jpg&aspect=0&height=415

Degsy wrote: »
    A cowardly act of vandalism perpetrated by **** who'll never own property of thier own.

Really?
    You think me coming out and being straight about it, letting it be known that I've taken my punishment and grown up and that I'm against it now would be enough to stop people inadvertently calling me a wanker.

I chose not to report this post as I don't see it making any difference seeing as it's been thanked by a mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Sawyer Fierce Burglar

Really?
    You think me coming out and being straight about it, letting it be known that I've taken my punishment and grown up and that I'm against it now would be enough to stop people inadvertently calling me a wanker.

I chose not to report this post as I don't see it making any difference seeing as it's been thanked by a mod.

You weren't personally or directly called a wanker so get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Maser is a great artists and is commissioned not only in Dublin but around the world.
    don't spout this kind of **** without doing some research first.

I'm sure any Dub would recognise at least one of these
    47.jpg&aspect=0&height=415
    52.jpg&aspect=0&height=415
    28.jpg&aspect=0&height=415

You haven't seen a lot of graffiti have you?:rolleyes:

You weren't personally or directly called a wanker so get over it.
    Regardless of the delivery the insult was still there.
    If I wanted to make something of it I'd have reported but I'm not really arsed.

I'm over it.
    Happyman42 wrote: »
    You haven't seen a lot of graffiti have you?:rolleyes:

I've seen more graffiti than most.
    What are you trying to say? That because I haven't posted the terrible stuff I know nothing about it?

I was taken up on the term "artist", I backed up why I used this term.
    I'm well aware of the terrible tagging that goes on but I'm not throwing an artists talents out the window because he used the same type of canvass as some twat with a can of auto paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

My first question would be how they got over onto the piers to 'tag' it

My second question would be why would they bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Regardless of the delivery the insult was still there.
    If I wanted to make something of it I'd have reported but I'm not really arsed.

I'm over it.

I've seen more graffiti than most.
    What are you trying to say? That because I haven't posted the terrible stuff I know nothing about it?

I was taken up on the term "artist", I backed up why I used this term.
    I'm well aware of the terrible tagging that goes on but I'm not throwing an artists talents out the window because he used the same type of canvass as some twat with a can of auto paint.

Let them buy their canvases. Art doesn't give anybody the right to paint whatever they want.

pithater1 wrote: »
    My first question would be how they got over onto the piers to 'tag' it

My second question would be why would they bother

They more than likely walked down the tracks and hoped over the sides.

I've already answered the second question for you.:)
    Happyman42 wrote: »
    Let them buy their canvases. Art doesn't give anybody the right to paint whatever they want.

I never said it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

I enjoy my city and the effort that City Hall makes to make its appearance somewhat pleasing to the eye.

It really annoys me when some artist, egocentric or otherwise, feels that he can impose his graffiti on me and the entire population whether we want it or not. This city is not their canvas and they shouldn't presume that it is.

I must confess that I've often felt that I'd love to catch one of those guys in the process of inflicting their 'art' on the population and demonstrate on him my own idea of freedom of expression!

• Gravale wrote: »
    I enjoy my city and the effort that City Hall makes to make its appearance somewhat pleasing to the eye.

It really annoys me when some artist, egocentric or otherwise, feels that he can impose his graffiti on me and the entire population whether we want it or not. This city is not their canvas and they shouldn't presume that it is.

I must confess that I've often felt that I'd love to catch one of those guys in the process of inflicting their 'art' on the population and demonstrate on him my own idea of freedom of expression!

lol at the thought of you demonstrating on him your own idea of freedom of expression.

[abc] Warrior 4 Lyf!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Gravale wrote: »

Put bluntly, Dublin is ugly. Dirty, ugly, smelly, and you stink of diesel if you're out in it too long. Delapidated buildings, empty lots and laminated signs are plentiful, even on the main thoughfares.
    Both landmark and residential buildings are hideous, such as Liberty Hall and Busaras, as well as pretty much every unit of social housing.
    There is a layer of grime on everything.
    If city hall are making any effort to beautify the city, I certainly don't see much evidence of it. Its not even me as a country boy who visits once a year, I'm up every day for college.
    Gravale wrote: »

I'm sure lots of people think that, but frankly, I don't see anybody doing anything about it. In fact, I've seen lads spraying away, people walking past, and nobody saying anything. Why didn't I do anything? Because, I don't care enough to do anything about it. And it's provably the only way dozens of exposed surfaces are going to get any lick of paint.

Finally, the half arsed attempts in covering graffiti are uglier than the graffiti itself. If they're going to bother painting over it, they should do the entire wall, rather than just a few blotches, which usually don't match the base colour, and stand out far more.

Put bluntly, Dublin is ugly. Dirty, ugly, smelly, and you stink of diesel if you're out in it too long. Delapidated buildings, empty lots and laminated signs are plentiful, even on the main thoughfares.
    Both landmark and residential buildings are hideous, such as Liberty Hall and Busaras, as well as pretty much every unit of social housing.

Nobody's forcing you to live here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I've seen the graffiti on the Tara St. bridge and yeah, it looks pretty shít and it's a pretty disrespectful place in which to do it. Commissioned walls however are a different story. Two of my favourites: Askew and Totem.

askew-graffiti.jpg

totem_upload1.jpg

2376893057_5d5efcbb74_o-1.jpg

qz wrote: »
    Commissioned walls however are a different story

See that word, bolded, it's very important.

Commissioned means someone has asked them to decorate the walls in question. It is not the same as some arsehole with a spraycan thinking he's Banksie and scribbling a "tag" on the side of a bridge.

They are two completely different things.

I play football with my mates every saturday, it doesn't mean I earn fifty grand a week for doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Des wrote: »
    It is not the same as some arsehole with a spraycan thinking he's Banksie and scribbling a "tag" on the side of a bridge.

So if someone of Banksies' calibre were doing it you would be ok with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

within the scene, are the people who leave tags scrawled where ever takes their fancy not distinguished from artists who just happen to use the streetscape as their canvas?

For me, a tag is one step below 'bloggs woz ere' and I presumed that these individuals where just narcissists? Do they garner respect within the scene?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

uberwolf wrote: »
    within the scene, are the people who leave tags scrawled where ever takes their fancy not distinguished from artists who just happen to use the streetscape as their canvas?

For me, a tag is one step below 'bloggs woz ere' and I presumed that these individuals where just narcissists? Do they garner respect within the scene?

Cian will probably know more but from my understanding tagging is a respected little piece of graffiti culture but not the tags the ****ty tags we are talking about

there are people who pick a pseudonym and put it anywhere they can but in original and unique ways that could be considered art

I doubt the rubbish the scumbags throw up around town garners much respect at all and probably annoys the hell out of 'proper' graffiti artists as it brings them even more negative attention

PeakOutput wrote: »
    So if someone of Banksies' calibre were doing it you would be ok with it?

Nice attempt to strawman me, but you aren't an idiot, and you know well yourself that that is not what I meant, at all.

But, just in case you do actually need it explaining to you, here it is, broken down into simple language, step by step.

1. The pieces posted, are "Comissioned" pieces, which means
    • a. someone asked the artists to paint the pictures on those walls
    • b. probably paid them to do so

If someone of Banksie's calibre came along and painted a picture on
    • a. my house
    • b. my business
    • c. a bridge in my city

without permission, I'd be pretty pissed off, and I'd have a right to be pissed off. Uninvited paintings are vandalism. No matter if they are done by Leonardo Da Vinci or "Steo".

Anyway, this is all moot. We aren't talking about a Banksie or a Maser here, we are talking about a tosser with a spraycan painting his name on a bridge, making the place lo0ok even worse, and which someone has to now remove.

Degsy makes a point, and he always makes it in these discussions, and it's never addresses by those people defending these arseholes.

Why don't they spray their name all over their parent's houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

There's also a lot of respect to be gained from other artists for, "getting up"

Such a shame.

Impressionable young lads locking for respect from some arsehole dope who himself has yet to grow up.

Not a pop at you either Cian, I get your points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

Des wrote: »
    Why don't they spray their name all over their parent's houses?

Because they know their parents would be outraged and therefore don't do it out of respect for their wishes. Apparently when it comes to the city we live in the legitimate wishes or the outrage of Dublin's population are irrelevant to these sneaky low-lifes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement