Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Conservative-Lib Dem coalition. What future?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

I think its great! will be an interesting experiment - who or what will win the day?

genuine drive and passion to work together to make a better country OR
    the more likely breakdown, spin, arguing, spats, etc

Also, this is why I follow British politics and not Irish.. I am not connected to it, it doesn't affect me, therefore I don't get frustrated at all.. I lapped up the expenses scandal and now I'm just enjoying all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

walshb wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned how Cameron was so put on the spot when he was
    asked by a journalist if he regrets "When asked what was your favourite joke, you replied, Nick Clegg." Talk about being put on the spot. Brilliant,. but embarrassing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z3W7dp85dY

the vastly more interesting thing is how easily it was laughed off - body launguage rarely lies.

it seems obvious from the body language, particularly and most importantly of the two leaders, that they get on well personally and understand the meaning of partnership - we both get most of what we really want, can live without the things the other guy finds most problematic, and we actively try to make the other party's life easier even if it means denying ourselves.

not making a party political point, but imagine if that had come up at the start of the last coalition in British politics - Tony Blair and Gordon Brown - there would have been embarassed silences, dark looks and Gordon would have stormed off and sulked for 10 years.

i don't underestimate the difficulties of such a coalition - the monsterous tensions between the right-wing of the Cons and the Left-wing of the LD's, by-elections between the two parties, Labour winning by-elections and making not-so-sublte overtures towards left-wing LD MP's, some Tory MP's and their swivel-eyed headbanging loon views of Europe, the friction of just being in government and being bashed by 'events dear boy, events', and issues within the LD's and the internal friction of turning from a 'protest' opposition party where one can believe in almost any cause and there's room for you, to becoming a 'sensible' governing party.

but at least they seem to like each other, and they do have significant common ground on the most immediate issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Anonymous1987

Clegg and Cameron would seem to have no problem in finding common ground and I think they are so alike that they will strike a good personal relationship. Cameron is more a pragmatist than people give him credit for. Its managing the both parties external and even internal conflicting interests that will prove the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Humria

I'd say there will be huge pressure on the Lib Dems to make this work. If a successful coalition can be achieved it will dispute the argument that a PR system of voting will result in weak government. Although AV doesn't reflect the votes as well as PR it is definitely a step in the right direction, if the referendum can be passed. I heard that the Lib Dems would have gotten approx 20 extra seats with an AV system of voting. I don't have a link for that as I heard it second-hand but it seems plausible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Clegg and Cameron would seem to have no problem in finding common ground and I think the are so alike that they will strike a good personal relationship. Cameron is more a pragmatist than people give him credit for. Its managing the both parties external and even internal conflicting interests that will prove the challenge.

by traditional tory standards , cameron is very much in the centre , he is not what you would call an idealogue , clegg is also a pragmatist , its no surprise the lib dems decided to go up the aisle with the conservatives instead of hitching thier wagon to labour , brown is ( was ) a nightmare to work with , the guy is ( was ) a brooding , plotting , sulking dour control freak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

If you observe Clegg's political background, he really is Tory-lite. It will be more interesting to see if the likes of Vince Cable, Danny Alexander, and not to mention most backbenchers, keep up with the cosy arrangement line for long enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Anonymous1987

If you observe Clegg's political background, he really is Tory-lite. It will be more interesting to see if the likes of Vince Cable, Danny Alexander, and not to mention most backbenchers, keep up with the cosy arrangement line for long enough!
    If you ask me most of the Lib-Dems with minsterial positions are Tory-Lite, Cable was an economist, Laws was ex-city and Huhne was part of the orange book policy. Pretty much all free market. Whether they'll have trouble with agreeing on Europe, Foreign Policy and Immigration is another thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Persiancowboy

Its managing the both parties external and even internal conflicting interests that will prove the challenge.

Without wishing to be too frivolous with the Tories back in power I am greatly anticipating the return of the good old-fashioned British sex scandal. The Tory Party has this down to a fine art so after 13 years of staid and boring Labour we can look forward to a return to some salacious scandals involving members of the new Government party. Methinks Cameron's biggest challenge will be keeping his own loopers in check.

How soon before one of them is found in some den of iniquity in a pair of fishnet tights, an orange stuck in his mouth and something else in one of his other orifices? :eek: The good times are truely back!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Without wishing to be too frivolous with the Tories back in power I am greatly anticipating the return of the good old-fashioned British sex scandal. The Tory Party has this down to a fine art so after 13 years of staid and boring Labour we can look forward to a return to some salacious scandals involving members of the new Government party. Methinks Cameron's biggest challenge will be keeping his own loopers in check.

How soon before one of them is found in some den of iniquity in a pair of fishnet tights, an orange stuck in his mouth and something else in one of his other orifices? :eek: The good times are truely back!!!

"Back to Basics!" :D

Advertisement