Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Explaining the Parables

• 11-12-2007 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

Even though it is not mentioned at all in the Gospel of John, I think it is likely that Jesus spoke in parables. However, of all the parables he is reported to have spoken in the Gospels, only two come furnished with explanations. These are Parable of the Sower, and the Parable of the Weeds. On examining these two parables, and the explanation given for them by Jesus, it can be seen that each element of the parable is highly and specifically symbolic. On account of this he tells people to listen very carefully to what they hear. It says in the synoptics that Jesus spoke in parables to keep the secrets of the Kingdom from outsiders but that all the parables were explained to the disciples. Presumably one would therefore expect to hear explanations for the parables along the lines of the two for which we have already been given explanations. That is to say that in any explanation of a parable such as the Parable of the Unjust Judge/Importunate Widow, for example, one would expect to see each element accounted for as symbolic of something. So far as I am able to tell it would seem that rather than talk in specifics as do the explanations of Jesus, contemporary explanations for the parables are somewhat vague in comparison.

I am wondering if any Christians are aware of any explanations for this anomaly? I am aware that Gnostic Christians cited Corinthians 1 2:6 to justify their belief in what I think is known as the 'messianic secret'. Whilst I do not hold with gnosticism it does seem from the evidence that they may have had a point. Jesus quite clearly draws his disciples to one side in order to explain parables and on only two occasions are these explained to the reader. Any contemporary explanations that have come down to us seem to lack the clarity of the explanations that exist in scripture. I would like to know the reason for this.

Advertisement