Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

theory test for artic ?

Options
  • 26-11-2012 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

hello all,

Looking for some help, i hold a full licence in category C having passed my test last year, and my question is this, do i have to sit another theory test to get a learner permit for the artic category or will the theory test i passed in the C category cover me??

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭corkboy10

passed my c licence a few months back too,just went to the local motor tax office and got the provisional artic licence on request

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Your covered once its within 5 years for the DTT

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭McCoy

cheers folks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

I recently had to re-sit my 'C' Theory Test as my EC provisional licence had expired in 2005 - even though the Theory Test book clearly states 'you do not have to sit the same theory test more than once'....and despite the fact that theory test certs do not have an expiry date?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭corkboy10

theory tests certs have to be exchanged for a learner permit within 2 years of passing the theory test,that much i do know as i only passed my bus theory test last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

corkboy10 wrote: »
    theory tests certs have to be exchanged for a learner permit within 2 years of passing the theory test,that much i do know as i only passed my bus theory test last week

That is correct. However that did not apply in my case.
    Just to clarify, I passed my C theory and practical tests in 2003 and gained my full C licence. I then took out a provisional EC licence (but never 'used' it as such) and it subsequently expired in 2005.

When I recently went to apply for my EC learner permit, I was told I must re-sit my C Theory Test as my Provisional EC licence had expired over 5 years and I had "used up" my theory test cert?! (By that logic had I not "used up" my theory test cert when I gained my original C provisional licence in 2003??). All this despite -

A. Theory Test Certs having no expiry date, and
    B. The RSA's own theory test book clearly stating that 'you do not have to pass any theory test category more than once' ??!

(I contacted the RSA HQ and had a lenghty discussion with a manager there - all to no avail. I had no choice but to re-sit my theory test...which I passed a few weeks ago). RSA 'red tape' at its best imho!

Advertisement