Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times Crossword (Simplex)

• 22-04-2009 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭

Thought it might be an idea to have a thread based around the Irish Times Simplex crossword.

It'll be somewhere for people to start if they're thinking of tackling their first one or for those of us who's head is so completely wrecked by a clue that we can't wait until tomorrow's paper (and who certainly don't want to pay the €0.60 fee to have it texted!!)

I'm short one for today. Can't work it out for the life of me. Anyone know?

29 Down: Ingenious, difficult to analyse

_u_t_e

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Subtle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭fattestman

Yeah saw, that.

I'm just short the one today too. At this time of the day I give up.

18 down anyone?

Influenced by bribery, corrupt (5)

_ena_

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Venal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭fattestman

I'm impressed. Did you know that or did you look it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Its a word I have not heard in years. I will admit I was 95% sure I was right but checked it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

fattestman wrote: »
    Thought it might be an idea to have a thread based around the Irish Times Simplex crossword.

Sorry to jump in, but is it no longer possible to print out the daily crossword, except if you join up??

Bye, Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭khennessy86

a tipperary town thats found in every kitchen.

10 letters, ending in n

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 woodsl

BarryM wrote: »
    Sorry to jump in, but is it no longer possible to print out the daily crossword, except if you join up??

Bye, Barry

If you have a library card, you can get into the library's online resources section, which includes screens of hundreds of daily papers including the irish times. (they're free!)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Mystified

I'm surprised no one has remarked on the competitive element in the Irish Times Crosswords online. There is a leader board for the fastest time of completion each day. However taking the Simplex puzzle the fastest time for completion is usually less than 2 minutes and sometimes as low as one and a half minutes. It is my contention that no one could solve and type in the answers in that time. So how is it done? I tried solving on paper and then type it in but could not get better than 3 minutes - I'm not the fastest typist in the world I hasten to add but I doubt if even a record breaker could solve and type up the solutions in the times shown on the leaderboard. As for Crosaire it takes me two hours and four pints to solve that one and then not always to completion

• Registered Users Posts: 2 georgedwyer

Hi, My simplex crossword grid downloads but the clues won't? Anyone got a solution please? Thanks, George Dwyer

• Advertisement

Hi, My simplex crossword grid downloads but the clues won't? Anyone got a solution please? Thanks, George Dwyer

You need to contact the Irish Times - tech@irishtimes.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2 georgedwyer

Thanks - it seems it was an Irish Times problem & they have now sorted it!
    Rgds,
    George

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

Mystified wrote: »
    There is a leader board for the fastest time of completion each day. However taking the Simplex puzzle the fastest time for completion is usually less than 2 minutes and sometimes as low as one and a half minutes.

The same is true of the Cryptic crossword too. I refuse to believe that anyone can solve the cryptic crossword and type it in 1:43. There is no way I could type it in double that time even if I had solved it first! :eek:

Something fishy methinks. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bolo99

anyone know answer to 25a he's gone home to mexico- i thougth hugo sanchez but it doesn't fit with 20 d "stoke"

25a - Salcido

What is 62a 3 letters - Kilkenny player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bolo99

"cat" is what i have

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Frankthetramp

Does anyone know when this year’s Jumbo Simplex Crossword is being published? I live abroad, but want to ask a family member to buy that paper, but I don’t know when it comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭brian_t

I don't know but I would expect it to be in next Saturdays edition.

Advertisement