Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE bans the word 'crib' from Christmas advert

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

kelly1 wrote: »
    Yes of course I can change the channel but people watch it and are influenced subtly by it.

Hmm just like the angelus.. :D

Tbh I wouldn't watch it purely based on her presenting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

She certainly didn't condemn it! I suppose condone is a better word but I still think it promotes immorality.

Anna told how welcome and relaxed she was made to feel at the orgy and afterwards said she was exhilirated and needed a drink!

So RTE showed a program called web of desire about an orgy. You watch the whole thing and then complain. They wouldn't show it if people like you didn't want to see it (you clearly wanted to see it if you tuned in and didn't change the channel, it must have kep your interest if you didn't change...) so get off your high horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Sure everyone's at it, maybe I'll give it a go...

That's the spirit fella!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

PDN wrote: »
    Given that most of the adverts on RTE are more entertaining than much of their programming, a few church adverts should be an improvement on current religious broadcasting. I suppose it depends if they would demonstrate the creativeness of the Carlsberg ads or the inanity of the dreadful Cilit Bang ads. We could even have some really gory stuff like the road safety ads. ;)

Thsi reminds me of a conversation I had yesterday with my 11 year old. We were discussing how Tesco are 'taking over the world' what with petrol stations,their own brand of mobile phones, credit cards etc.
    My son pipes up and says " Soon they'll have their own church and preacher", and then he adds "yeah, and their theme could be 'the bible-every verse helps'.
    Great eh?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Sure everyone's at it, maybe I'll give it a go...

Why would you want to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

On a similar note of trying to remove the Angelus from RTE. It has now banned the word "Crib" to be used in a current Veritas premotion. It wont be long and the word "Christ" and "Jesus" will also be banned except for its use in swear words used in its home produced soaps that it spews out. There is something to be said for having that remote! http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1207/crib.html

That link doesn't seem to be working. Are you sure that RTE actually censored the word crib? What a bunch of morons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

That link doesn't seem to be working. Are you sure that RTE actually censored the word crib? What a bunch of morons!
    It was to do with the Catholic retail outlet Veritas advertising "navity cribs" on a recent radio christmas advertisement. Apparently RTE have now enforced a strict policy not to advertise any religious merchandise. Heres another link to the subject. http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/kevin-myers/may-i-be-allowed-crib-about-this-latest-rte-imbecility-1243929.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Read through some of the posts here which quoted bits from it, they didn't ban the word 'crib'. Veritas were asked to check with the BCI (Broadcasting commission of ireland) whether it was ok in its context by RTE. Veritas didn't bother and instead changed the ad. Pretty much a non-story.

Advertisement