Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is your god's name?

Options
  • 12-12-2007 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

Does it have one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Several. The principal name that is incredibly holy was revealed to Moses at the burning bush in Exodus. Most Bibles however change the regular use of it to "The Lord".
    God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM". He said further, "Thus you shall say to the Israelites, "I AM has sent me to you".

Then the next use of the Lord comes with a footnote:
    The word "Lord" when spellt with capital letters stands for the divine name YHWH, which is to be connected with the verb hayah, "to be"

A German translator from the Hebrew said to the Pope that the name was likely to be Jehovah using the (YHVH) source. Hebrew is a language of mostly consonants so it is not certain of what the vowels were in that word.

The Sovereign Lord - is often used instead of the original form YHWH Adonai.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

Jakkass wrote: »
    Several. The principal name that is incredibly holy was revealed to Moses at the burning bush in Exodus. Most Bibles however change the regular use of it to "The Lord".

Then the next use of the Lord comes with a footnote:

A German translator from the Hebrew said to the Pope that the name was likely to be Jehovah using the (YHVH) source. Hebrew is a language of mostly consonants so it is not certain of what the vowels were in that word.

The Sovereign Lord - is often used instead of the original form YHWH Adonai.

They seem more like titles. Like duke or king. But I guess Jehovah is name, if the German translator is correct.

The majority of people use Yahweh and see Jehovah as a slight anglicisation effort. But yes YHWH was the one revealed name. There are several other titles, such as Elohim and Hashem. YHWH is the form of "to be" or I am. Hence where the English translation comes from. As long as they know what the word means I find it to be more important than the pronounciation. Jehovah was quite an old invention. I think it was the 15th or 16th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 battytest

but what do his friends call him

• Advertisement

Suff: I have seen many Islamic arguments for this. Some translations have Elohim written as Aloh. I don't know how much weight this has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

bubonicus wrote: »
    Does it have one?

Jimmy Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Adam Jones, Mark Knopler, Stone Gossard....

Advertisement