Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad Air 2 - Available from October 17th

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Might go for one of these, would be a significant upgrade from a second gen iPad.

Edit, ordered 64GB space grey. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

The more I use this iPad the more I think it's a good upgrade from the original Air. It's a bit quicker for loading games, but the feel of the device is much better and the screen in particular feels of much higher quality. The thinness isn't unwelcome too, so I'm pretty pleased with my upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭speedfreak

Anybody upgrade from iPad 3? noticeable difference in performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭harr

Looking to buy air 2 128gb but they seem to be scarce,preferably I would like to purchase it in store rather than on line...which store will or does have the best selection ,rang compub but have none in stock nor does the likes of harvey Norman ...
    Another question what's people's overall views on the 128gb is it overkill for memory,I have a ipad4 with 16gb and its a nightmare memory wise,is the extra 100 euro worth it...

64gb is plenty unless you're keeping TV series or huge movies on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Dispatched...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Will have mine on monday. Went for the brown leather cover with it as well. Looks gorgeous, much nicer than the brown last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Thinking of getting an iPad 2 myself and will be my first ios device.

Is there any advantage to the cellular version other than the ability to download data where there is no wifi coverage (signal permitting) ? From what I understand the cellular version cannot natively send sms text messages using your data plan and instead relies on imessages which works only with other ios devices over wifi or you carrier. Also I understand apple can use wifi towers to triangulate your position so no real advantage to gps on the cellular version.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Flaccus wrote: »
    Thinking of getting an iPad 2 myself and will be my first ios device.

Is there any advantage to the cellular version other than the ability to download data where there is no wifi coverage (signal permitting) ? From what I understand the cellular version cannot natively send sms text messages using your data plan and instead relies on imessages which works only with other ios devices over wifi or you carrier. Also I understand apple can use wifi towers to triangulate your position so no real advantage to gps on the cellular version.

Unless you really need it stick with the wifi version, cellular is only really useful for somebody out and about on the go. Most phones let you enable a hotspot feature so your iPad could connect to that when your out of wifi range.

It's an extra €130 on the price and you have to subscribe to a data plan to use it so not really handy unless it's completely nesseccary.

I got an email today from Harvey Norman about a €50 cash back deal for certain iPads, might be worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

DubDJ wrote: »
    Unless you really need it stick with the wifi version, cellular is only really useful for somebody out and about on the go. Most phones let you enable a hotspot feature so your iPad could connect to that when your out of wifi range.

It's an extra €130 on the price and you have to subscribe to a data plan to use it so not really handy unless it's completely nesseccary.

I got an email today from Harvey Norman about a €50 cash back deal for certain iPads, might be worth checking out.

Thanks for the info. I do commute up to 4 hours every weekday, often by Bus Eireann and their wifi service sucks so the thoughts of a cellular ipad on say a three 20 euro all you can eat data plan is appealing. However I don't know if it would be worth the extra 130 euro outlay considering up to 45 minutes of that journey has very poor coverage to begin with (even 2g), and the roads are so poor that most of the time I couldn't even stomach reading a book. Guess I answered my own question.

• Advertisement

Shipment information received EAST MIDLANDS - UK 19:10

Monday, October 27, 2014 at 19:10
    Origin Service Area:
    EAST MIDLANDS - Hinckley - UK

I get that it may have been scanned there, but I don't really follow the time thing as we're not yet 7:10pm today... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Link to the Harvey Norman cashback mentioned a few posts back:
    https://www.harveynorman-promotions.ie/

Air 2 arrived but the cover was sent separately and won't arrive until Wednesday. Odd.

Apart from that the iPad is great! Didn't actually realise they removed the mute button and moved the mic positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Can you get HDMI out on the air 2 with an adapter?

Spazdarn wrote: »
    Can you get HDMI out on the air 2 with an adapter?

Yup Lightning to hdmi adapter will do what you need.

Received my 64GB Air 2. Have only had about 5 minutes to play with it. Really impressed with the screen coming from a second gen iPad - talk about vibrant, and Safari's performing better, too.

Upgrading from an iPad 2 to an Air 2 is a great upgrade. Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

DubDJ wrote: »
    Yeah was gomna order on Black Friday but I might as well just use the discount. I looked at it earlier and it was close enough, and no waiting till November either. Looking like 8am alright.

What sort of savings do Apple offer up for Black Friday over here?

I'm thinking of getting the Air 2 and with Harvey Norman's cash back offer you get €50 back. Based on people's recollections from last year, should I wait for BF?

Hi
    Are most people ordering there new ipads from apple direct?i was hoping to buy in store but there is no stock of 128gb anywhere...The reason i am getting it in a store is that i dont be at home for deliveries during the day and dont get home till after 9 most nights...so getting by courier is a no go.. :(

• Subscribers Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Have to say I'm pretty impressed but the air 2, I was keener on the ram and speed, but the lack of the airgap and the impressive thiness are the winners for me. It sounded like it wasn't noticeable from the reviews but it really is, unit is way too thin to fit the air case.

• Advertisement

What sort of savings do Apple offer up for Black Friday over here?

I'm thinking of getting the Air 2 and with Harvey Norman's cash back offer you get €50 back. Based on people's recollections from last year, should I wait for BF?

They offer around €40 for the base model iPad, and I think it increases by around €5-€10 for each of the more expensive models. So a saving of anywhere between €40-€60 but that could change this year, they might not even offer a discount. Harvey Norman cash back would mean paying full price up front too.
    harr wrote: »
    Hi
    Are most people ordering there new ipads from apple direct?i was hoping to buy in store but there is no stock of 128gb anywhere...The reason i am getting it in a store is that i dont be at home for deliveries during the day and dont get home till after 9 most nights...so getting by courier is a no go.. :(

You could always try get it delivered to your job, or pay €4 and get it delivered to Parcel Motel and collect after work, it might take an extra day or so to deliver but it might help you get your hands on one if they haven't got stock in-store. Also you might want to pay a bit extra and go for the higher insurance with Parcel Motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

For those that upgraded from iPad 2 to iPad Air 2, what's the difference like?

TheZohan wrote: »
    For those that upgraded from iPad 2 to iPad Air 2, what's the difference like?

I've owned the iPad 2 in the past, which seems like a lot longer than it actually was and I can tell you it's a huge difference. It's a 2011 iPad, and going to a 2014 one you'll see a huge difference. Technology moves fast, so over the past 3 years the iPad has come a long way. Expect to notice big differences, not only with display, build and battery life but the speed should be much improved.

Got my hands on one today finally,love it , so fast wifi speed has improved and the display is fantastic....working my way through all the new features now and such a huge difference not having to watch my storage now that I have 128gb to play around with :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

Hi is an IPad Air 16gb with 4 months warranty left for 320 euro a good deal or am I getting scammed?

brijay wrote: »
    Hi is an IPad Air 16gb with 4 months warranty left for 320 euro a good deal or am I getting scammed?

I sold a 32GB with 2 months left for €350 so it's around the right price for one. As long as its in good condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Ruxjit

Why is the Ipad Air 2 cheaper on Amazon than it is on the apple store?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Ruxjit wrote: »
    Why is the Ipad Air 2 cheaper on Amazon than it is on the apple store?

I wondered this too I bought a iPad mini 3 off amazon for €60 less than Apple here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I wondered this too I bought a iPad mini 3 off amazon for €60 less than Apple here.

Is it always lower or is it because of a Black Friday promotion?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Is it always lower or is it because of a Black Friday promotion?

No I bought it last week so it's not part of Black Friday.

Advertisement