Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***New Copyright Policy***

• 02-03-2012 3:43pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Some of you may be aware that the Copyright SI was signed recently. This has an immediate effect on us in the Hip Hop forum......well accross all of boards.ie. There are 3 main areas affected so far.

News Articles:
    Re-publishing an article from another website or news paper (and this includes scans of the newspaper) is absolutely 100% breach of copyright unless they have specifically said that they allow the content to be re-published royalty free. 99.9% of the time, this won't be the case. So, if people want to talk about a news story, they cannot copy/paste the whole thing into a thread. If people want to talk about an article somewhere, they should be providing a link back to where it's come from - ultimately this is someone else's work and they should at least get the benefit of being acknowledged.

So, only post links to articles. Not the full article or a snippet.

YouTube:
    Copyrighted content such as music is already covered as YouTube has a revenue sharing system in place for these things. Full TV shows and so on are quite often in breach of YouTube's own rules and so will get snipped.

So it's ok to post music video's, but no full length documentaries or movies are to be posted.

Streams/External links:
    We dont nomally post streams here, but for the moment, they cannot be posted.

As always, if you are posting any free music, always include a link to the download source showing that it's legit.

Thank you Mr. Sherlock.

If you would like to voice your opinion about the legislation with Sean Sherlock all his contact details can be found at http://www.labour.ie/seansherlock

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

They're the real fúckin criminals, this is a load of bollox.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

This sticky is for information purposes, not for abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Sean Sherlock is possibly the biggest goon of a politician I've seen in the last 15 years, and that's saying a lot considering some of the other people that went before him.

The only one that affects me I suppose is the news articles. I used to like copying and pasting articles into my posts. Made them appear somewhat professional looking. Now they'll look like shíte. Good lad Sean, ya clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Boom_Bap wrote: »

not tryin to be smart but you should have locked it if you didn't want people to comment, I can't think of anybody that is goin to compliment this act it's more or less gonna turn into an abuse thread.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It's left open as a means to discuss what can and cannot be discussed following the introduction of the new copyright laws.

I have a lot of abuse lined up as well, but it's going to be through the correct channels.

So please by all means vent your frustrations in the right direction, just not here. This is a thread for you to ask questions about the changes on the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Sorry I was typing as you posted that.

Are we allowed to say where a stream of an album can be heard, without actually posting a link to it?

Sorry I was typing as you posted that.

Are we allowed to say where a stream of an album can be heard, without actually posting a link to it?

For now, this is a grey area, so the best policy is to post the link. And it should always be a link that has been put out by the artist, group or label.

I'm locking this thread for now. There will be a site-wide announcement on this coming soon.

After that I will re-open to address any queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement