Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Hersheys wrote: »
    Hope it went okay Phi.

Have taken a nose dive :(

It did go ok. Are you ok. What's up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

phi3 wrote: »
    It did go ok. Are you ok. What's up?

Ah just a lot of stress at the min. Feeling the pressure but feel like too much of a burden to even consider talking about it, even to my therapist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Ah just a lot of stress at the min. Feeling the pressure but feel like too much of a burden to even consider talking about it, even to my therapist.

I can totally relate to that.

I can totally relate to that.

It just sucks. I'm going thru a transition period & I don't know what to do. The inability to talk to my therapist is worrying though :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

It just sucks. I'm going thru a transition period & I don't know what to do. The inability to talk to my therapist is worrying though :-/

Last time I saw one I held back a load of stuff. I'd say this is a common enough thing.

• Advertisement

Last time I saw one I held back a load of stuff. I'd say this is a common enough thing.

Oh I normally don't hold back but I'm so stressed out that I can't even tell her what's going on. She gets it tho. Which I suppose is a good thing. And hopefully I can open up a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Oh I normally don't hold back but I'm so stressed out that I can't even tell her what's going on. She gets it tho. Which I suppose is a good thing. And hopefully I can open up a little bit.

I'm sure you will manage to open up in your own time. Some days are darker than others. You know you can do it. You'll get through this too.

Well for the first time ever, this morning mindfulness worked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Kaching

I feel isolated from everyone and everything :(

Well for the first time ever, this morning mindfulness worked!!
    ... quickly followed by (well not so quickly followed by) overwhelmingly negative thoughts but I haven't given in to my urges just yet.

Stress is a killer.

• Advertisement

... quickly followed by (well not so quickly followed by) overwhelmingly negative thoughts but I haven't given in to my urges just yet.

Stress is a killer.

to Quote Dory "just keep swimming" my friend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Marzipan85 wrote: »
    Hiya,

It's actually a sports-related course that I started. If u r looking for anxiety group, i've signed up for the social anxiety ireland CBT group in the Mater, but they have a waiting list of 12 months or so...!

M

Sorry, I meant to say group instead of course haha. Brain not working correctly.

Wow, that's a long waiting list! Although I just know that if I went to a group like that I'd be constantly thinking 'their problems are so much worse than mine, why am I even here? They probably think I'm just wasting their time!' :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Eventually it came to pass and i spent tuesday night wednesday morning in casualty, sitting here feeling guilty over the whole thing now. I would give anything to have a timeline on this, ya know, some sort of structure for treatment and stuff. It all feels very aimless.

On a more positive note the psych consult that came to see me was great, must have had a good read of my file before she came to see me and said she'd get a community nurse to contact me which happened so more support from the day hospital seems to be coming my way.

Upstream against a current ;)

My memory is akin to Dory right now though!!

And Grem, that's great about the extra support. Sucky that things had to escalate to get you the help, but great that the psych was so proactive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Thanks Hersheys, how are you feeling? Hope the pressure is tolerable, nearly there hon. :)

Hopefully the support lasts. I'm a little cynical, although this far more progress than previous..

Just stick with it. Take the help that's available and use these feelings to work things through. You say you want a timeline, I'm sure there are parts that you can remember, and if the psych in the hospital was attentive I'm sure she picked up on even the small things that you said or even implied through body language. It's great that she properly read your chart and it means that she will be more tuned in to what you need and can make the recomendations to the community team. Stay strong ;)

Pressure is for tyres ;)

Am just worried because the self-harm was out of nowhere and pretty serious this time.. I know was under some pressure with work and stuff but still scary how quickly it all fell apart.

I get that, and thats the problem with a lot of self destructive behaviour. Its impulsive. Hopefully you can get sorted with a therapist soon enough and work on dealing with the impulsions. And maybe read up a bit on mindfulness. It genuinely stopped me this morning.

I get that, and thats the problem with a lot of self destructive behaviour. Its impulsive. Hopefully you can get sorted with a therapist soon enough and work on dealing with the impulsions. And maybe read up a bit on mindfulness. It genuinely stopped me this morning.

Yeah just a bit scarier the other night. Friend that helped me out now mad at me, can't blame her but feel really sh*ity about it.. Will make for long shift at work, but have a mindfulness book somewhere i might bring.

Chances are she's only mad because she cares and got a fright. It's human nature to react badly when we get a fright. With the adrenaline of the moment she reacted positively but since she's calmed she's scared and doesn't know how to help you best. Talk to her. Explain how you're in a bad place and know your actions were unacceptable but that this is your learned mechanism for coping and that you want to work on changing it. Apologise for upsetting her and say it wasn't your intention. Thank her for her help. Reassure her that you will do your best to ensure it doesn't happen again.

You know where I am if the night shift is tough going. Not like I've anything better to be doing right now ;) I mean I know there's something important going on I just can't remember :P

• Advertisement

Yeah i'd guess that's why she's pi**ed with me, it's just not a great time for it.. However it's going to be difficult to explain that.. Ah sure, still here to fight eh?.

Exactly - you're here to tell the tale and she will eventually come around to realise that's the real important matter at hand.

Was it that it wasn't a good time for her?

Exactly - you're here to tell the tale and she will eventually come around to realise that's the real important matter at hand.

Was it that it wasn't a good time for her?

Yeah, in fairness not exactly what a friend wants to comes round to see. Just not able for a night at work with friend all angry and not able to sleep. now i sound greedy, ah no win.

You will be okay. If the sleep remains an issue maybe talk to your GP. Do you have a follow up appointment with the psych? May be no harm to check in with your GP anyway and let him/her know what happened.

On an unrelated note and something that's been playing on my mind. Has anyone here ever spoken to their therapist/counsellor/psych about issues of a sexual nature? I'm not exactly having issues relating to sex but I do have issues (if that even makes sense?) possibly as a result of abuse. I just don't want to bring it up if it's not the "done thing" or is a taboo subject in a session...

Upstream against a current ;)
    good one ! :D

ever wanna lighten the load you have plenty of folk here willing to listen

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ND88

I usually deal with general anxiety disorder pretty well without the use of medication. Eating right, exercise etc. But on rare occasions of acute stress I take one .25 xanax per day for ten days and thats all I need. Things tend to go back to normal.

My new doctor prescribed me effexor XL 75MG. He says they not only are used for depression but also GAD.

I am reluctant to go on anything long term (was on SSRIs before and hated it) and im also terrified of the side effects.

Has anyone been on these? If not have you been prescribed anything else ? If so, how are you finding them?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Marzipan85

Sorry, I meant to say group instead of course haha. Brain not working correctly.

Wow, that's a long waiting list! Although I just know that if I went to a group like that I'd be constantly thinking 'their problems are so much worse than mine, why am I even here? They probably think I'm just wasting their time!' :rolleyes:

I thought that too when I started going to a therapist 3 years ago. i said to her something like 'you're going to say that there's nothing wrong with me'...followed by 2 years of solid crying at her sessions! (obviously there was something awry)

why would you be wasting their time?

On an unrelated note and something that's been playing on my mind. Has anyone here ever spoken to their therapist/counsellor/psych about issues of a sexual nature? I'm not exactly having issues relating to sex but I do have issues (if that even makes sense?) possibly as a result of abuse. I just don't want to bring it up if it's not the "done thing" or is a taboo subject in a session...

therapists (if they are suitable trained/qualified) should have no problem with that. you could always just ask initially, if you didn't just want to blurt it out without knowing if they were comfortable. Like 'is it ok for me to talk about issues like this'? then you're not making an assumption. if you have a properly trained therapist, they are trained how to listen and respond appropriately to all sorts of issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Marzipan85 wrote: »
    I thought that too when I started going to a therapist 3 years ago. i said to her something like 'you're going to say that there's nothing wrong with me'...followed by 2 years of solid crying at her sessions! (obviously there was something awry)

why would you be wasting their time?

Because it always seems like there are people with much worse circumstances than your own; you start to belittle your own issues and then start doubting whether there's anything wrong with you at all. That's what I always feel like whenever I've been to see anyone :(

• Advertisement

Because it always seems like there are people with much worse circumstances than your own; you start to belittle your own issues and then start doubting whether there's anything wrong with you at all. That's what I always feel like whenever I've been to see anyone :(

don't want to be putting you in a box, but sounds like your self esteem is a little low (like most people's is!). your mental health is really important, and there's no shame whatsoever in looking after it. getting yourself better is just as important for you as it is for any other person with a severe/moderate/mild problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement