Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭scrimshanker

it's been a tough week and it's been rounded off being robbed :( So much stress, need to start making reports and insurance phone calls tomorrow. Wasn't up to it today. I was just relaxing after the worst of the week, thinking I might maybe, potentially, actually get a proper nights sleep. Why are people so... mean?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Can't even tell how i feel today. Weird. I can feel my humour dipping pretty rapidly right now, but the smallest thing could stop it, or speed it up.. It's extremely confusing.

How is everyone else?.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Kaching

Hersheys wrote: »
    Ah in my house it was "better before you're twice married" - I guess it's the single parent thing in Dublin ;)

Twice married ? LMAO as is the first time wont heal ya :P

• Registered Users Posts: 31 want to disappear

it's been a tough week and it's been rounded off being robbed :(

Sorry to hear that, hope you feel better soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Had a pretty good week, but one episode in the middle and i cut myself badly. I just don't understand myself..

• Advertisement

why do weeks go so fast when you want them to slow down , and slow down when you want them to go fast ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Kaching wrote: »
    why do weeks go so fast when you want them to slow down , and slow down when you want them to go fast ?

WHY o WHY O WHY is it only Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Haven't posted in a while as I've been doing relatively well lately. However, today, I've just been feeling nothing, no excitement, no sadness, no happiness, nothing.

I went into work and although I've a good few friends there, I wasn't bothered with them, just did my bit and went home. I came home just now and don't know what to do with myself, nothing interests me in the slightest at the moment. I'm talking to my girlfriend on Facebook at the moment and it's quite a struggle, I'm just not in the mood for a conversation, not in the mood for anything, I just feel nothing at the moment, like a ghost drifting by.

If I were depressed, I could kinda understand but I'm not, I'm just nothing. It's really weird. I can't remember ever feeling like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

****ing insomnia. That combined with stress in work & life and my head is not a fun place to be :(

neemish wrote: »
    WHY o WHY O WHY is it only Monday?

It's only Tuesday :(:(

Hersheys I need a hug :P

• Advertisement

Kaching wrote: »
    It's only Tuesday :(:(

Hersheys I need a hug :P
    I can give you a loan of my body length pillow if you want? :P

I can give you a loan of my body length pillow if you want? :P

YOU B************tch :P:P:P

You know I love ya really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Hi guys. Can ye help me? I'm not sure I can take this any more. I need it to stop. I've been trying to work out how to fix my life but I think I will never be able to fix it until I fix the depression & anxiety.
    I know everyone says the first port of call is the GP. I'm just so scared. I never go to doctors for anything so I don't know what they'll say to me.
    Anyone who has managed to get to their GP, can you please give me a run down of your experience? What did the doctor say and what steps they took to help.
    I know it will be different for everyone but I need some guidance. I hope it will make it possible for me to get help. If anyone could help me at all, I'd really appreciate it.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shakermaker321

Have been suffering for the last six months and one of my chief problems is not enjoying my old hobbies. Does anyone who has suffered severe depression have any help for me?

phi3 wrote: »
    Hi guys. Can ye help me? I'm not sure I can take this any more. I need it to stop. I've been trying to work out how to fix my life but I think I will never be able to fix it until I fix the depression & anxiety.
    I know everyone says the first port of call is the GP. I'm just so scared. I never go to doctors for anything so I don't know what they'll say to me.
    Anyone who has managed to get to their GP, can you please give me a run down of your experience? What did the doctor say and what steps they took to help.
    I know it will be different for everyone but I need some guidance. I hope it will make it possible for me to get help. If anyone could help me at all, I'd really appreciate it.
    Thanks.
    Phi I remember you posted a while back about writing stuff down, did you ever get around to giving it to your GP?

When I decided I needed help I emailed my doctor, but it might also work if you wrote down how you're feeling (copy some of your posts from here, you're open about your feelings which is great). Then make an appointment and try to talk to your doctor. If the words won't come, give him/her the piece of paper. Doctors deal with depression and anxiety symptoms on a daily basis, they will do their best to make things easy for you to talk.

In my experience my doctor rang me and we had a chat on the phone. He asked when the bad thoughts started, what scale of bad thoughts did I have, general questions about how things were affecting my physical health, what prompted me to get help, and finally, did I feel I needed support in the form of medication. He let me think about that one and then I went into him a few days later for a chat about my options.

The more open you are with the doctor the easier it will be for them to help you. Some GP's will medicate you themselves and keep track of you, whereas others are more comfortable referring on to a trained psychiatrist, it just depends on the situation.

They may refer you on for counselling/therapy, which is wonderful. Its not easy but in conjunction with meds/talking/support it really does help make a difference.

If you're not comfortable (or feel you're not being listened to by your GP) go elsewhere. There are more than one doctor in most practices/towns. Don't feel like you're being rushed into any decisions, if he/she prescribes meds and you're not comfortable taking them, tell them, ask for other options or ask if you can have some time to think about it. But make sure you follow up.

Ask any questions you have. What kind of support is available to you, what can the doctor help you with, what should you do in different situations...

Good luck, and if you have any questions fire away, on thread or PM. If there's anything I can do to help let me know.

And congratulations - it's a big step to make to decide to get help. The sooner you get help the sooner you can start to feel better :)

Have been suffering for the last six months and one of my chief problems is not enjoying my old hobbies. Does anyone who has suffered severe depression have any help for me?
    Welcome :)

I can't offer much advice in the way of how to enjoy your hobbies again, in my case I just stuck with them in the hopes that I would come out the other side, and by sticking with them I kept my support network.

Do you have a counsellor/doctor you see about your depression?

Thanks for the reply Hersheys.
    I still haven't sent the letter. I was scared of the response I might get. But I will try to send it I suppose. So if I can't even send a letter I don't know how I'm going to get to a doctor.
    I think I will try to get something on paper and maybe try to say it out loud to myself. But that will be pretty hard too. But I do want to try to get it sorted. Theoretically.

Well if you're scared of the response why not give the letter in person?

Practice saying out loud:

Hi doctor. I've been feeling off recently and wrote down how I'm feeling. Can you take a look?

Yes, I may write stuff dawn and if I can't say it, maybe give her a letter.
    I need to sit down and work it out. But it's so tough to do.

Yep, it's the hardest thing you will ever, ever do. I commend you for trying.

Do you have a good rapport with your GP?

• Advertisement

Yep, it's the hardest thing you will ever, ever do. I commend you for trying.

Do you have a good rapport with your GP?

I hardly know my GP. She seems ok though. I didn't like my previous one but I think this one should be easier to talk to.

Sun is shining , the weather is sweet :D

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    I remember going to the GP in college about depression and the night before I barely slept I was so terrified. Went in and was fine. I could tell the GP treated depression like any other illness and has probably dealt with plenty of cases. With the benefit of hindsight I was getting worked up needlessly. But before I was petrified and can understand where you are coming from. All I can really say is do it. It will be hard but for me any way once I did it I felt much better, almost like a weight was lifted off my shoulders and felt like I was finally going to tackle it.

It was the first time I saw that GP (I purposely didn't want to go to my family GP) not sure if that helped of not. I really hope you can do it and understand that having a good GP can make a massive difference. Good luck

Thanks. I hope I can do it too. I really do.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shakermaker321

Welcome :)

I can't offer much advice in the way of how to enjoy your hobbies again, in my case I just stuck with them in the hopes that I would come out the other side, and by sticking with them I kept my support network.

Do you have a counsellor/doctor you see about your depression?
    Yes I do. Just enquiring to see if others may have had some solutions that worked for them to similar problems.
    I have a very important football game Sunday and I've no motivation at all to play it

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dar926

Having trouble with obsessive thoughts lately.. so far I haven't self harmed, cant seem to stop the mind racing... Not long out of hospital and I know I have the skills...easier said than done though

dar926 wrote: »
    Having trouble with obsessive thoughts lately.. so far I haven't self harmed, cant seem to stop the mind racing... Not long out of hospital and I know I have the skills...easier said than done though

How are you feeling today?

Tired, nightshift tonight, whinge moan etc. Nearly cut last night but didn't though..

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dar926

How are you feeling today?

Tired, nightshift tonight, whinge moan etc. Nearly cut last night but didn't though..

Feeling uneasy but ill get by thanks :) id say the nightshift is though fair play for holding out

somethings not right !

• Registered Users Posts: 5 anxietyguy77

Hi all.

First time posting in this particular forum. Hoping to get some opinions please....here goes:

Over the past couple of years I've been pretty much obsessed with going to Australia and giving it a go (not for financial reasons, my job was fine at home).
    And as I managed to save quiet a bit for Oz I then got obsessed with the idea of travelling around before I got there. All sounds like a whale of a time so far right? Around 3 months before I set off, the anxious thoughts began. The closer it got to my departure date the worse it got, the excitement was turning into anxiety, I didn't like it. The week or two before I left were torture, I broke down twice.

There was no backing out though, I went ahead with it and traveled for around 2 months, it was ok at times but mostly I was having anxiety issues. I decided to go home and get some therapy, I made up an excuse that I wanted to go home for Xmas and then head off again. I didn't tell anyone about my issues.
    I had 4 sessions of CBT over the Xmas period, it didn't help. I took off again for Oz, stopped in South East Asia for 3 weeks along the way. I hoped that once I got to Oz it would settle down, it hasn't.

Got here 4 months ago, at first it was really bad, then things settled down a little once I got a job, met some people, got a place to live. Then after a while the job got boring and some friends went home, the anxiety got really bad. Started having physical symptoms and trouble sleeping. I went to the doc the other day, told her how bad it was and she gave me a course of lexapro.

Initially I was delighted at been given anti depressants. I'm on day 3 now (starting on 10mgs, tomorrow I start 20mgs). But now I'm a bit paranoid about taking them considering the side effects. Seems as what triggered the anxiety is leaving home I'm wondering if meds are really the answer and maybe I should just go home? But I don't really want to go home yet, but then again maybe it's not worth it if I'm on anti depressants as there's side effects and also the task of coming off them eventually?

Or am I worrying over nothing on these meds and I should see how I get on with them?

Please I'd like to hear what people think.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

As your doctor has prescribed Lexapro, I'd give them a chance, rather than give in to your anxieties. To be honest, the side effects may not be noticable, and if they are they may fade after a short period.

I've been taking Lexapro for a while, and it's turned my life upside down in a positive way, and any side effects went away in two to three weeks. They're not addictive and you can come off them gradually (on your doctor's advice on dosage) over a few weeks. In my case, I don't get anxious or worried about every little thing anymore - everything looks clearer and you have a much better grasp of what real worries should be and what you can just let pass.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement