Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Luthier school???

Options
  • 26-09-2006 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi guys,

i was wondering if there is any school in dublin where they can teach how to build guitar and bass and how to repair.

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

If there was, I think there'd be a lot of people who post here that would sign up. ;)

Someone posted a while back about a place in the UK that showed you how to build your own guitar. I can't remember if you did it by mail or if you went over there for a week. Try a search.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Altoid

Hi,

That was me who went on a course in Scotland last year to build a bass.

Check out :

http://www.baileyguitars.co.uk/

For more information.

I can't recommend this enough - in just under 5 days I had gone from selecting planks of wood to playing a beautiful bass.

However, there is a big difference between building a new guitar and repairing an old one. Getting it right from scratch is easier then fixing a break or other damage.

Making a new bass or guitar is not difficult with the right help and this course was perfect for me.

I'm thinking about doing it again for a new fretless.

- Altoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

What kind of $?

TK

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Altoid

The whole course set me back just over 1000 Sterling in total.

That included full accomodation while I was there and beer.

Also, I didn't get a standard bass. OK it's a standard Jazz design but I went for nice woods and parts that added to the cost as well.

Others on the course (4 in total) did go for their own designs, this only cost them a little more - about 20 pounds I think to create the templates.

- Altoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Altoid wrote:
    ...and beer.

Woo hoo! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement