Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guitar respray in Ireland?

• 21-09-2006 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭

Ive gotten an idea in my head that id like to respray one of my guitars in a custom finish, and becuase it would need to be a transparent burst on a flamed maple top, its not something any idiot could do.
    Theres a few places in the uk ive come across, but does anyone know of anyone in this country who could do it? Ive seen a couple of custom guitar makers here alright in the resources, but nothing to suggest their finishes are particularly good.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Derrick Nelson has made quite a few guitars in his time, the 7 string he made for Louis Stewart was had quite a nice burst on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Right thanks for the info, i might give him a bell to see how much he has done. Id be looking for a professional job - stripping existing paint, grain filler, primer, however many coats of paint needed, and nitro laquer or equivalent. Becuase its a flame maple top, id want someone who really knows their stuff.
    I was looking at the custom guitar makers here, but none of the pitcures of their work suggests that any of them are pro-quality guitar finishers.
    A sort of green/yellow burst is what i have in my head, maybe like this
    the_sleastack.jpg
    or this.
    d07.jpg
    But id rather pay to ship it to the uk and back if i wasnt 100% about the quality of an Irish luthiers paint jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Damn, that is a nice finish. Good luck finding someone!

I bought this guitar body and I started working on it.

Now it looks like a 6 year old kid with an attention deficit disorder stuck a crayon between his toes on his left foot and went to work on the guitar.

Sorry, deaddonkey! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

Ancient1 wrote:
    Damn, that is a nice finish. Good luck finding someone!

I bought this guitar body and I started working on it.

Now it looks like a 6 year old kid with an attention deficit disorder stuck a crayon between his toes on his left foot and went to work on the guitar.

Sorry, deaddonkey! :D

haha. what went wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Well, I started sanding it and it was taking me months. Mostly because I shun physical work whenever I can.

I wanted to speed up the process by throwing some paint peeling chemicals over the body and then I used one of those scraper yokes. Ouch. I won't go into the gory details.

The idea was to strip off that blue-ish green and repaint it into chrome red. But now I'll paint this one teal green and just buy a red one.

Ah, it's not that bad, but it's never going to end up the way I imagined it, I just have to improvise a bit.

Never doing this woodwork sh1t again man. :p

And keep me in the loop if you come across more Strat parts!

• Advertisement
Advertisement