Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fantomas

• 14-06-2005 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭

Anyone going?

if you're unenlightened, they're playing the village tomorrow night (€20 through U:Mack, sound cellar are selling). if you're even further unenlightened, it's a mike patton band with buzz osborne, trevor dunn and usually dave lombardo but terry bozzio will take the drum stool while slayer tours.

worth going just to see patton IMO...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I'll be there. Look for a handsome man near the front. I'll stand next to him.

I'm going too. I'll be the guy with the pink/red hair... at the front. (When you see me you'll understand) and say hello!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Ahh cheers for the reminder.. forgot i had tix for this.. sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

Well looking forward to this gig :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ramses

any idea what time the band will start at? I'd love to go but I'll have to get off work early to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭peepingtom

i'll be there .... tickets have sold out at the WAV Box office, but there are 9 left in Road Recs if anyone is interested ..... should be awesome .... no idea what to expect ... cant see them playing songs like for like off the albums though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 ThirdEyeOpen

Will Their Be Tickets On The Door?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Töpher

peepingtom wrote:
    i'll be there .... tickets have sold out at the WAV Box office, but there are 9 left in Road Recs if anyone is interested ..... should be awesome .... no idea what to expect ... cant see them playing songs like for like off the albums though
    Seen videos of them live before, they do a damn fine job of it! And yes, just like on the albums! :D Can't wait, heading for few beers after work and onto the gig, cannay wait! ;)

One hour to go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Was a lot better than I was expecting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

wow, my ears really hurt!! which is always a sign of great gig

cool t-shirt too!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Fuppin' brilliant!

my.php?image=fantomas5kb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

t'was an awsome gig, well worth the €20

mariah careys voice has nothing on pattons ;)

ok. I left halfway through because I felt old and thought the gig was rubbish. Did I miss something?

absolute toss.

Personally I love Fantomas, and really enjoyed them last time they came here, but last night - ugh, seems to me like it was a complete mess

Doors were open late, and we were kept waiting ages until the band came on - and they only played for little over an hour??

Gig of the year - not really

Ph3n0m wrote:
    absolute toss.

Personally I love Fantomas, and really enjoyed them last time they came here, but last night - ugh, seems to me like it was a complete mess

Doors were open late, and we were kept waiting ages until the band came on - and they only played for little over an hour??

Gig of the year - not really
    Fantomas played here before? I know Tomahawk played before, didn't think Fantomas have ever been...

Personally I thought they were amazing, they played about 80-90 minutes, and rocked for the entirity of it, nailed the shít perfectly, which is no easy task! Are you sure you're not thinking of Tomahawk?! :)

Nope, I am thinking of Fantomas, but I just realised it wasnt in Ireland I saw them :)

Nah that gig was very, very disappointing last night especially for a fan like me

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

it was ****

if you enjoy "experimental" nonsense, then you would have loved it...

I also left 45 mins into it. I was just there to see Bozzio really

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Nope, I am thinking of Fantomas, but I just realised it wasnt in Ireland I saw them :)

Nah that gig was very, very disappointing last night especially for a fan like me
    Big fan myself, but seeing as that was my first Fantomas (and Buzz!) experience, I loved it! :)

• Advertisement

Guess I just got sick of waiting and waiting and waiting and.....(well you get the idea)

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Guess I just got sick of waiting and waiting and waiting and.....(well you get the idea)
    Think it was worth it, heightened the suspense, time to get some beer ddown the neck etc ;) Think about it, bands play till 11:00 approx here, they never wind up earlier, there was to be no support band, so wasn't expecting anything to happen till 9:15ish, so 9:30 wasn't too bad! :)

it was ****

if you enjoy "experimental" nonsense, then you would have loved it...

I also left 45 mins into it. I was just there to see Bozzio really
    If you'd heard any of their stuff before you'd know thats what they're like, which is what I'm guessing most people were there for! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i thought it was ok, but i was pretty locked.

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Think it was worth it, heightened the suspense, time to get some beer ddown the neck etc ;) Think about it, bands play till 11:00 approx here, they never wind up earlier, there was to be no support band, so wasn't expecting anything to happen till 9:15ish, so 9:30 wasn't too bad! :)

Problem was I had already quaffed a mighty supply of whiskey before the gig and at my age, I grow impatient with the "rock and roll mannerisms" of some bands and yes I would include Fantomas of being guilty of that.

I knew there would be no support, but come on keeping people hanging around in an over-crowded and exceptionally warm venue is just not on - I could barely get to the freaking bar from my cosy little spot

And they didnt finish at 11 - they finished a little after 10:30 - think it was around 10:40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Meh wasn't impressed at all, maybe I was just expecting more than a few shrieks... the only interesting and enjoyable aspect was the playoff between the drummer (who was obviously new to fantomas) and patton... but god the same screaming over and over again with different drums and samples? no thanks...

Kali wrote:
    Meh wasn't impressed at all, maybe I was just expecting more than a few shrieks... the only interesting and enjoyable aspect was the playoff between the drummer (who was obviously new to fantomas) and patton... but god the same screaming over and over again with different drums and samples? no thanks...
    Maybe you should have listened to them before you went! :D

The drummer was Terry Bozzio, filling in for Dave Lombardo who's touring with Slayer at the moment.

Well ... it certainly was different ... here review i sent my mate back home in England:

Orchestrated Noise Timed To Perfection

Well it was the busiest I've ever seen this small venue that holds around 600.... Surprise, surprise after around 20 minutes there was suddenly room to breath. Apparently about 50 paying customers must not have heard any of Fantomas' releases, and subsequently thought they had stumbled into a live exorcism.

Patton thrashed around the stage from microphone to microphone, conducting his players like a ****ed up Herbert von Karajan. All eyes were on the former Faith No More frontman from start to finish, gazing in amazement and wondering what he will do next.

There wasn't much spiel form Patton, but when it came it was as if it had spilled off the tongue of Martin Luther King or any other 20th century visionary ;) . "**** you, and **** Bono!" After making an initial remark about Bono the crowd started singing "Bono is a wanker, Bono is a wanker" Patton seemed to miss hear this and took it as praise for the U2 Megastar. Something must have clicked a while after and made a swift apology to the somewhat bewildered crowd ... "OK, maybe I shouldn't have said **** you"

After ploughing though a set perhaps not destined for a Saturday morning slot on CD:UK, you come to ask yourself one question. Is Patton taking the piss out of us? Or is he the Beethoven for the 21st Century?

Haha, class, mind if I use a section of that in my sig?! ;)

• Advertisement

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Haha, class, mind if I use a section of that in my sig?! ;)

work away :) ... thought it was great last night, although personally i would have prefered to see FNM, BUngle, or Tomahawk .... it was certainly entertaining though and it meant we got a long overdue dose of Patton

Advertisement