Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blu-ray player with Android... with added suprise!

Options
  • 27-12-2012 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭

I (very randomly) received a Blu-ray player with Smart TV function as a Secret Santa present - which was quite generous considering the limit was €20...

Anyway, I have no interest in Blu-ray's, but am delighted with the idea of being able to play content from my phone and tablet straight to the telly...

The standard interface is not very good or user friendly, and the remote control app for Android is pretty awful too, it doesn't even have a keyboard. So I am looking for ways to get content from my Android devices to the telly. The new Android YouTube App is awesome, I can send content direct to the DVD player and line up a number of videos, while still being able to do other stuff on the tablet - this is a big deal, as most social occasions include passing the tablet around for people to chose songs to play - but until now it has only been one song at a time... This is also better than my friends Apple TV, as again it is limited to one YouTube clip at a time and you can't use the device for other stuff while it is playing.

Next up is playing movies that are stored on my tablet, through the Blu-ray player onto the TV. I can actually do this from the Blu-ray remote using the menu on the TV to browse the files... However, I would prefer to be able to chose the files from the tablet and send them to the Blu-ray... I've installed Twonky and Skifta to try this evening, does anyone have any other suggestions on how this is best achieved?

In short, this Blu-ray Player is not much use to me as a Blu-ray player, its menus are not great and the built in apps are not of much interest to me - although I haven't fully explored them...

...but as a receiver to link my Tablet to my TV, this might actually be ideal... If anyone has any suggestions on how I can find more functions for this thing, please let me know.

Stuff: LG BP420 Blu-ray player; Asus Transformer Prime; HTC Desire S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Try mediahouse for playing the movies to the tv.

For playing YouTube vids do you mean where you launch the tv app and then pair the tablet and tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Chet T16 wrote: »
    For playing YouTube vids do you mean where you launch the tv app and then pair the tablet and tv?

No, I just launch the Android app, choose the icon to play to the TV and it overrides the Blu-ray player... if that makes sense... basically I don't need to interact with the Blu-ray at all.

I did need to pair YouTube with the Blu-ray, but that only took about 30 seconds

On our samsung smart tvs you need to launch the youtube app before the phone/tablet will see it. I can play direct using imediashare (via the share menu)

It would be great if it could autolaunch from the phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Is this the model? LG BP420 Blu-ray player?

BostonB wrote: »
    Is this the model? LG BP420 Blu-ray player?

That's it.

• Advertisement

Chet T16 wrote: »
    On our samsung smart tvs you need to launch the youtube app before the phone/tablet will see it. I can play direct using
    imediashare (via the share menu)

It would be great if it could autolaunch from the phone

Sorry, you were right. The YouTube app needs to be open on the TV. But it is still a great way to get stuff onto the telly...

I have settled on Twonky for the moment to push movies and music to the TV. It seems to work fine and doesn't look as bad as some of the others.

I haven't played a disk in it yet, but the Smart TV menus are slow and there's little interesting content available... especially since Netflix isn't available.

That's good then, I don't feel cheated so :p Still great to have the queue option if you need it for the sake of an extra step. Imediashare is great for a once off video.

I bought my brother a samsung bluray player just so he could use it to stream from my media server. That uses twonky too.

Advertisement