Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which horse should my father give to my little sister?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What does your sister want the horse for? Is it for riding or just to have as company?
    Those miniature horses are very expensive and would need an experienced owner to care for it as with any horse really.

Horses/ponies come in all different shapes and sizes so it really does depend on what the horse is wanted for. If its for riding then the horse in that video or something similar is not suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

OMG she is adorable :)

Horses/ponies come in all sizes upwards of the one in the video, maybe google Fallabella or minature horses/ponies. Have seen a few ads for mintures on D**eD**l from time to time.

Same considerations apply as owning any other size of horse though, just because they are small, doesn't make 'em easy!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

What will be the puepose of this pony exactly? Where will it live? What previous experience does your family have with horses? Do you know exactly what is involved in the care of equines? Do you know what laminitis is?

If you are unable to give a satisfactory answer to one or more of these questions the answer is that he should get her a teddy bear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭badrlampard8

andreac wrote: »
    What does your sister want the horse for? Is it for riding or just to have as company?
    Those miniature horses are very expensive and would need an experienced owner to care for it as with any horse really.

Horses/ponies come in all different shapes and sizes so it really does depend on what the horse is wanted for. If its for riding then the horse in that video or something similar is not suitable.

It is for riding and i think we could afford it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

The fact that you are asking this question kind of indicates you do not know much about horses? which is fine, everyone has to start somewhere.

If you want to ask questions about horses perhaps the equestrian forum might be of more help to you:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭badrlampard8

my father knows more about horses then me, but i want to help him so he can give her a horse she wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,812 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If you have a field, a stable, knowledge & lots of money for upkeep then talk to the ISPCA about rescuing one of the hundreds of ponies that desperately need homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Ignore this thread, badlampard8 has been pimping his videos throughout the website as he gets paid per view.

Quite low and despicable considering people here are going to waste their time offering genuine advice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

My father wants to give my little sister (9years) a horse.

Does there exist a horse slightly bigger then the one in the video

http://zideo.nl/index.php?zideo=6c4971616d6c6f3d&playzideo=6b344f5a6e567872

Your little sister wants a pony, and you have to post here asking if it's possible to get one that's 'slightly bigger' than the falabella featured in the video. That you actually have to ask such a question strongly suggests that you're not being serious, or, if you are, it intimates that neither you, nor your father should actually purchase a pony for your sister.

If you are serious, then let your go to an equestrian centre where she can learn to ride as well as helping out with looking after the 'slightly bigger' ponies and horses there. Then judging by her enthusiasm for that, your father could look into getting a pony once you all know a little more about what keeping a pony, no matter how small, entails.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

If your father knows anything at all about horses he would know that there is no possible way any child no matter how small could sit on any miniature horse, incidently anything that is to small for a lightweight adult to sit on isn't going to be trained anywhere close to the minimum standard needed for a kids pony. Does your sister have any riding experience? Unless she's having lessons at least once a week, can walk, trot, canter, manage a small jump comfortably and there is a responsible experienced adult rider to hand at all times to keep her right she has she has no business owning a pony.

Unless of course your parents are willing to pay to keep it in livery where there will be people on hand who can provide these need and give her regular lessons on her own pony which she will need anyway regardless of her ability, have your parents considered the costs at all?

Livery is upwards of €75 per week - thats basic do everything your yourself and not including lessons it may not even include a stable!

Lessons - on your own pony upwards of €30 a lesson depending on how good the instructor is

Farriery - Up to €70 (depending on the pony) every 6-8 weeks

Then there's feed, vetrinary fees, insurace, riding gear (which must fit properly and she will grow out of very quickly at her age) eg. At her age she'll need a new helmet every 6-12 months or everytime she falls on her head at an average cost of €80 a pop. Then there's travel costs, entry money for shows if she becomes so inclined (she'd need to be for such an expensive hobby!) clinics, stable manangement and safety training, the cost of schooling/reschooling the pony . . . . and so it goes on.

I have 2 kids ponies here that there was absolutely nothing wrong with untill unknowlageable people got their hands on them and ruined them. There are enough ruined ponies in the country, please don't create any more as this makes them completely useless and most end up in cans of pedigree chum :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

AFAIK miniature horses are not suited to riding - they are much too small. A 9year old would need a pony a good deal bigger & also of very sound temperament. What type of pony has she been riding?

Advertisement