Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dose hot Chocolate / Cocoa keep you awake?

• 10-04-2007 4:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

If I take hot chocolate / cocoa made on milk at night I usually find it difficult to get to sleep, is that normal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Could be coz there's a lot of energy in hot chocolate, especially in the form of sugar! I always seem to stay awake after drinking it too, but if I drink it say an hour before I go to bed I'll sleep easier. Same goes for taking a bath before bed: it speeds up metabolism and you'll find it harder to sleep, so a bath is better about an hour before bed too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Chocolate contains caffeine and usually sugar so it's normal for it to act as a livener. The caffeine content is low compared to tea or coffee, but might still be enough to stop you falling asleep. Sugar is always going to give you an energy boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

yet at the same time, warm milk is supposed to help you to sleep...maybe they'd cancel eachother out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I read recently in a women's magazine (it was in the bathroom in my mum's house, I swear!) that cocoa contains natural chemicals that aid restful sleep.

Of course this could be nonsense made up by the editor, but personally, a warm non-caffeinated drink before bed does aid sleep for me.

The article below offers tips on a good night's sleep, and it says to avoid cocoa after lunch, among other things, to help you sleep well.

http://www.sleepmed.com/good_sleep.htm

Advertisement