Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Working Class areas and the annual race to get the tacky Christmas lights up first.

12346»

Comments

I think Lapin was simply making an observation,I personally didn't get he/she was looking DOWN on anyone.

Think yizzer all a bit too hard on him/(her)

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Lapin wrote: »

I agree, but that is the conventional term in use and neither you nor I are gonna change that here so its the one we're stuck with.

I mostly hear it in the UK.

It's amusing when someone doing postdoctoral research whose dad was a manager in a car plant describes himself as "working class".

British class system can be very rigid even today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Jake1 wrote: »
    I think Lapin was simply making an observation,I personally didn't get he/she was looking DOWN on anyone.

Spot on.
    Jake1 wrote: »
    Think yizzer all a bit too hard on him/(her)

:)

I'm a him. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Oh law de daw. I don't know where they find the time to do things but I find loads of time to bitch on the internet.

First World problems. The Third World doesn't know how good they have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭nadey

Something I've noticed in recent years is an apparent race between the occupants of a number of houses in a council estate near me to don their homes with the most gaudy over the top Christmas lights, and the determination by some of the residents to get theirs up before the neighbours.

Two houses in particular have had theirs up for almost a fortnight now.

And each year they seem to get more and more outlandish and ostentatious with larger then scale figures of Santa Claus lit up at the chimney to be seen for miles around and further lights now festooned around the garden and every available space on the walls of the house.

I don't have a problem with anyone tarting up their houses for the festive season. It has long since been accepted as the most tasteless time of the year, but I'd prefer if they were confined to the festive season rather than two months of the year.

Of course I acknowledge that there are middle class people who turn their residences into garish winter wonderlands every year too. I don't know where they get the time. But the phenonmen of displaying the most jaunty glittery tat annually, and the quest to get it up first every year is overwhelmingly a feature of working class council estates urban areas.

Its not as if there are prizes for doing so like there are for the Tidy Towns competition during the Summer, (although that doesn't seem to be an insentive in many of these estates anyway.)

The first electricity of the new year for families with such displays must be eye watering, but that's none of my business. I do wonder though it this race to get the lights up earlier every year adds increased pressure to fire crews around the country as the potential for fire risk must be a lot higher with so many lights and electrical sockets in use.

Theres working class areas in galway? Never would have thought it. Big crime news in galway is someone robbing a dog

• Advertisement

nadey wrote: »
    Theres working class areas in galway? Never would have thought it. Big crime news in galway is someone robbing a dog

What has crime got to do with anything being discussed here ?

What has crime got to do with anything being discussed here ?

Working class usually equals crime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

I put mine up July 16th would that be considered a little on the early side?

Working class usually equals crime

Try reading the thread before coming out with that shít here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

Wait wait wait wait wait.....

This was an episode of Roseanne from years ago. She puts up house lights at Christmas to spite her neighbours who hold anti-working-class, snobby opinions of her family and complain the decorations are gaudy.

http://www.tv.com/shows/roseanne/white-trash-christmas-28225/

Is the OP a senile 80 year old reliving Roseanne episodes from the perspective of her neighbours?

• Advertisement

Try reading the thread before coming out with that shít here.

So is it ballybane, ballinfoile or westside youre giving out about. Our xmas lights are up now a few days and I dont see the problem

So is it ballybane, ballinfoile or westside youre giving out about. Our xmas lights are up now a few days and I dont see the problem

Thats a limited list for the second biggest county in the country. Could you not think of any others?

Don't even think I'm going to mention the estate I'm referring to here.

Either way, its not unique to Galway.

Thats a limited list for the second biggest county in the country. Could you not think of any others?

Im not from galway but lived their awhile and theyre the best bunch of people. The way youre lookin down on folks looking forward to xmas is downright wrong. Cop the hell on

Oh, forgot to ask. What other '''working class''' area is there in galway city?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

All house Christmas lights displays are tacky and tasteless imo.

Apart from the frackin light pollution and the risk of Boing 747s trying to land in the back garden theannual Christmas / fairy light one upmanship can be a pain in the whole tbh.

And the ol argument of 'ah won't ye think of the charities' - I would love to know how much goes to pay the resulting electricity bill and how much goes to charity :rolleyes: Tbh don't really care if it's Jacinta in Ballybock or Justine in Foxrock - if ye want the place lit up like wembly then do it inside and try not to blind the passing motorists. -

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

gozunda wrote: »
    All house Christmas lights displays are tacky and tasteless imo.

Apart from the frackin light pollution and the risk of Boing 747s trying to land in the back garden theannual Christmas / fairy light one upmanship can be a pain in the whole tbh.

And the ol argument of 'ah won't ye think of the charities' - I would love to know how much goes to pay the resulting electricity bill and how much goes to charity :rolleyes: Tbh don't really care if it's Jacinta in Ballybock or Justine in Foxrock - if ye want the place lit up like wembly then do it inside and try not to blind the passing motorists. -

Not that much it seems considering thousands can be raised per house for charity: http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/lighting/holiday.html

My problem is with those sensor lights that light up a street like daylight every time a leaf falls.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The xmas tree in my house has gone up today. I am appalled. We usually wait until about 10 days before xmas. I will be mortified if they turn the lights on.

Advertisement