Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

One v's S4 v's Xperia Z

• 28-03-2013 6:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭

I thought it would be interesting to do a straw poll on which phone people would purchase themselves.

I'm not gonna comment (yet) on which is better or why, am interested to see some results first. So which would be your preferred purchase?

Which would you buy? 102 votes

HTC One
    2%
    NolimitsGonzovisionColGreen 3 votes
    Samsung S4
    45%
    Coyotedigimanthe whole year innwayne040576KenzSachaJbushiggyBluefoamcullenswoodMisterKiplingMimikyuBallymanIdleaterBionicRasherxtal191coldfire1xBlazerthetealDozen Wicked Words 46 votes
    Sony Experia Z
    29%
    deckie27Nyum Nyumjesus_thats_greROVERMeleftonepyramuid mansrdb20jarainfguinanWetbench4Thorpleasant Co.FrostyJackomega666Justin10akamossieshuyin1A NeuroticHibernianRunnerkave2 30 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    22%
    byteoisinInquitusAndy-PandyjcrowbaririshchrisstesaurusPogMoThoindeath1234567IrishHomerOuterBombieyfaykyaJarrenT-K-OSofiztikatedDuke of Speedyorick23KevcolHellboundIRLdlm 23 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Atari Jaguar
    Hoping to pick up a Z very soon.

Poll might be broken, selected and voted for Z, One seems to be the result. edit: disregard, has fixed itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Samsung S4
    The difference in specs is negligible in real world terms so for me it'll most likely come down to design which the HTC wins by a distance - even if it bugs me to have a beats logo on anything that I own. I want to like the Z but it's a terrible shape and actually feels bigger than it looks. . .if that's possible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

Samsung S4
    When I seen the specs come out for the Sony thats what I had said my next phone was going to be but when I held one I didn't like it at all. I've now preordered a HTC, just hoping it comes in the next week or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Samsung S4
    I just picked up a HTC Butterfly a couple of months ago, otherwise I'd go for the One in a heartbeat. The Samsung does nothing for me, I aim to keep a phone for about 12-18 months and I can't see the Samsung either lasting or keeping me interested for that long. I've had Sony's in the past & don't rate the quality of their user experience, it would take allot for me to buy one of their phones...

The way I see it, HTC seem to the only 'name brand' manufacturer innovating at the moment... That's what interests me + their build quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Samsung S4
    Having had a selection of Sony and HTC phones I don't think I would go back to Sony ever again.
    Z looks great and I like the waterproof aspect but their upgrading and general bugs that I have seen with the S, P, U and Tipo would honestly scare me away. I currently have a S and it drives me nuts at times, missus has a U and its mega buggy. I had an original Desire and have had a HTC Legend too (still going strong!) and although HTC Sense was only OK the hardware and general user experience was great.
    Samsung are a bit too plasticky and as someone said I need to keep my phone for 18 months so not sure the Sammy would do that for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

please change spelling in title - Xperia - Experia doesn't come up in searches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Samsung S4
    It will be a decision between the s4, one, x phone and nexus 5.
    No interest in Sony.
    Spec wise they will be similar, the s4 will have more gimmicks which are great for showing off.
    Will Buy whichever feels best in the hand.
    Have an s3 currently and very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Samsung S4
    Just had a play with the One. Very very nice. Have to say my iPhone 4 feels like a Lada beside it.

In shops tomorrow or Saturday according to the rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Sony Experia Z
    I voted the Xperia Z because I did buy one last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Samsung S4
    I voted the Xperia Z because I did buy one last week.

How are you getting on with it so far?, I have a while to wait for my upgrade, 6 months or so, but looking at the Z or the HTC One.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

Sony Experia Z
    Samsung for me, Have a sony at the moment and it's not great to be fair.
    Wouldnt pick the HTC because they are renowned for their poor battery performances and going by the latest reviews the HTC One is no different.

Samsung S4
    omega666 wrote: »
    Wouldnt pick the HTC because they are renowned for their poor battery performances and going by the latest reviews the HTC One is no different.

My Sony S last about 20-24 hours max and thats with moderate usage - Old HTC Desire would last 30 hours and the HTC Legend in its prime was going for almost 2 days
    I think most phones which specifications like these aren’t going to be great when it comes to battery life - a day and a bit would be the max really

Then again the missus has a Sammy Tab 2 and it lasts for 3 days no probs but she is not a heavy user

Samsung S4

news to me and I've had 4 of them since they launched the hero in Ireland. Also, I don't know what reviews you've seen but 10 hours of video playback is bloody good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Samsung S4
    theteal wrote: »
    news to me and I've had 4 of them since they launched the hero in Ireland. Also, I don't know what reviews you've seen but 10 hours of video playback is bloody good

Yes, but I'm fairly sure the battery in the s4 is more powerful, not to mention it's removable.
    Could be wrong Ofcourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

Samsung S4
    Yes, but I'm fairly sure the battery in the s4 is more powerful, not to mention it's removable.
    Could be wrong Ofcourse.

Battery in the s4 is more powerful but the screen is also bigger so it will eat more power that way. I don't really mind as long as I get a full day out of it. I've never had a problem with htc batterys, I've had 2. My s3 on the other hand only last the day really.

Samsung S4
    Could be wrong Ofcourse.

it is more powerful, the comparison is in the link in my post. The battery in the HTC is still far from bad though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Sony Experia Z
    S4 for me. Been burnt (not literally) once too often with HTC phones (dead camera, random reboots, battery life problems) and Sony phones always have that horrible UI and nothing really outstanding.

Plus I think the new Sense looks crap tbh. I just like Samsung and - dare I say it - I actually like Touchwiz.

Samsung S4
    Nyum Nyum wrote: »
    Sony phones always have that horrible UI and nothing really outstanding.

Sony UI is actually very close to sock UI and is a pleasure to use (if it works) - its just a bit buggy, Touchwiz is .... well it is Touchwiz and a litte Apple-esque, Sense is the pretty boy of the lot I think but its always been stable and seems to be well built.

As for standout features - hello.....the Z is waterproof!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

Samsung S4
    I picked the HTC One. I already have the s3 so I wanted something a bit different this time. I should have the phone tomorrow so I'll know if I I made the right decision.

The xperia is pretty cool too. I had a look at one last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Sony Experia Z
    tui0hcg wrote: »
    Sony UI is actually very close to sock UI

I actually don't like the stock UI tbh.

I think people will splash water on the phone the first day they get it to try it out and then it'll never be an issue again personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Atari Jaguar
    Nyum Nyum wrote: »
    I actually don't like the stock UI tbh.

I think people will splash water on the phone the first day they get it to try it out and then it'll never be an issue again personally.

Unless you get your phone wet. I work outdoors, so the waterproofing is an amazing feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Samsung S4
    tui0hcg wrote: »

My phone is great at keeping wild man eating spiders at bay for the amount of times that I need to use that feature :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Samsung S4

Im not sure what reviews you have been reading but the One's battery has been rated as equal to better than the S3's which has good battery life.

Il be picking up the One, Amazing Build, Sound, Zoe's and possibly Camera, Sense 5 is Beautiful and fast some Hardcore android purists are saying its better than ASOP.
    Nice to see a company actually innovating instead of iterative updates.

The Xperia Z is nice but has some screen & ergonomic issues.

S4 is great but boring.

Advertisement