Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Returner - Brilliant Asian Movie!

Options
  • 25-05-2005 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Got this recently, almost didn't buy it but after watching it I sure am glad!

Unlike alot of Jap movies, this one translates alot better then most others and plays out exactly like a typical western sci-fi/action movie. Its about a future Earth in ruins, under attack by Alien forces, and one girl travels back in time to alter the ways things happened.

It has everything, action, guns, fighting, aliens, a main actor that looks scarily like an Asian version of Orlando Bloom and good Cgi. I advise anyone to check it out!

returner1.jpg

returner10.jpg

returner2.jpg

returner.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

have that at home,

watched about 20 mins and thought it was one of the worst films ive ever seen.
    action looked crap,
    dialogue made no sense,
    story was overely convoluted and unclear.

might try watch it again some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

i really enjoyed it,
    i thought the harrier transformation was really cool and the aliens looked really good, ok it ws a bit cheesy but that never stopped starwars :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

It has everything, action, guns, fighting, aliens, a main actor that looks scarily like an Asian version of Orlando Bloom and good Cgi. I advise anyone to check it out!

Yeah, that sure is everything!

And here's me thinking that things like storyline, characters, dialogue, direction, acting, cinematography are what counts. I guess the films I've been watching have been sorely lacking an Asian version of Orlando Bloom. You have a lot to teach us, MobileInfancy.

I have to admit that I did enjoy Returner. It's good fun and is'nt nearly as dumb as it could have been. I love the bad guy, who reminds me of Christopher Walken for some reason. And you just have to love the ending. I had to scoop my jaw from the floor during it.

I don't think that Takeshi Kaneshiro looks at all like Orlando Bloom. He also played Jin in House of Flying Daggers as well as being the voice and likeness for Samanosuke in the Onimusha games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't think that Takeshi Kaneshiro looks at all like Orlando Bloom. He also played Jin in House of Flying Daggers as well as being the voice and likeness for Samanosuke in the Onimusha games.

It might have just been his hair, who knows....
    And here's me thinking that things like storyline, characters, dialogue, direction, acting, cinematography are what counts. I guess the films I've been watching have been sorely lacking an Asian version of Orlando Bloom. You have a lot to teach us, MobileInfancy.

Well, obviously from the tone of my statement, I wasn't going into an in depth review of the movies mechanics. I was merely stating that it has everything that a film of its genre should have.

So there, Karl Hugehead :p

Hand bags at ten paces. :D

Well, obviously from the tone of my statement, I wasn't going into an in depth review of the movies mechanics. I was merely stating that it has everything that a film of its genre should have.

Yes.
    It is huge.
    Heh heh heh. ;)

But that's beside the point. I think it's ironic, because you were previously lamblasting people who prefered the original Ring to its American counterpart, claiming they were just trying to be cool and different. So you will have to excuse me for bringing your post under scrutity after your previous sentiments, and considering with this thread you're backing a fairly terrible film. Dare I say your remarks are as ridiculous as claiming Hard Boiled was crap, then turning around and praising The Replacement Killers?

No, of course, we're not going into "movie mechanics" here. So I won't make light of the notion that a good action film has to have, among its qualitys, action (no less!), guns, and fights.

But that's beside the point. I think it's ironic, because you were previously lamblasting people who prefered the original Ring to its American counterpart, claiming they were just trying to be cool and different. So you will have to excuse me for bringing your post under scrutity after your previous sentiments, and considering with this thread you're backing a fairly terrible film. Dare I say your remarks are as ridiculous as claiming Hard Boiled was crap, then turning around and praising The Replacement Killers?

I said a certain amount of people were like that with the Jap Version. Here, we are not discussing an American remake, nor are we arguing essentially as we were before about what ideal creates the better "horror" film and what exactly makes each respective opinion of the better film correct.

Whats ironic? I just voiced my opionions on American ring being better then Jap one and why some people like it more. I didn't say "Asian Cinema" is crap, thats pretty much the only comment I could make that would warrant calling this post ironic. Which, I didnt make in any case.

Anyway, The replacement killers with Chow Yun Fat? I hated that. Hard Boiled, I loved it. :p
    Unlike alot of Jap movies, this one translates alot better then most others and plays out exactly like a typical western sci-fi/action movie

Actually, with regard to my previous statements on american remakes, I am surprised my opening post with this line didnt get a comment from you in that regard of my taste in cinema - maybe this is why I liked it so much! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i think someone needs to investigate the meaning of 'irony'

• Advertisement

Actually, with regard to my previous statements on american remakes, I am surprised my opening post with this line didnt get a comment from you in that regard of my taste in cinema - maybe this is why I liked it so much! :eek:

You see, it was infact that exact comment that tweaked my bull**** detector. The sentiments put forwards are basically "Anything Hollywood-ized = better!"

You see, it was infact that exact comment that tweaked my bull**** detector. The sentiments put forwards are basically "Anything Hollywood-ized = better!"

Actually what I meant by this was that it was the kind of film where such straight forwardness helps and as little as possible is lost in the translation to English.

What I meant here by Hollywood/Western type genre clone - straight forward with pretty effects and therefore as little confusion and plot holes as possible with original language translation. Perfect for watching in the afternoon before work, which is exactly what I did.

I loved this movie, and I found it done in such a style that an American remake would...remake....this movie in a stale way that would be no different then movies like T3 etc.

Characters, style and presentation were key in this one!

Ok, so straight forward pretty looking film that isn't to taxing on the brain matter.
    For the record though, I thought T3 sucked.

And why do you keep saying "Western" films as if they're all dumb actioners? Pierrot Le Fou is western. Dead Man's Shoes is western, as is The Seventh Seal, and Mulholland Dr.. Western doesn't mean Hollywood. (Although with Mulholland Dr. the location is right)

ughhh this is the sort of topic i dont need. I just finished an essey on the cultural imperialism of hollywood andthe academy awards...let me just say.

western = cold war saying has almost no relevence today.

the word you need is 'hollywood' or 'blockbuster'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    western = cold war saying has almost no relevence today.
    Well, no offence to you or your essay, but I just got through reading Jonathan Rosenbaum's "Movie Wars" and he quite often refers to cinema of Europe and the US as "Western cinema". Since he is a respected film critic and sometime cultural commentator and you're just some dude off boards, I'm going to side with him for the time being and continue to use "western cinema" in the way that he does.
    And why do you keep saying "Western" films as if they're all dumb actioners?
    He doesn't keep saying that. I don't think he has said that or implied that yet, and you could be the only one to interpret what he is saying as such. What he is saying, however, is that Western genre clones and Western action/sci-fi movies are generally big, dumb movies (and Europe isn't exactly known for it's genre or action/sci-fi movies, so it's fair to suggest that in this context, he means Hollywood).
    MobileInfancy
    Is this what constitutes a reasoned debate around here these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

well, I havn't seen this film, and I probaby wont bother.
    But one thing about japanese films, their popular films tend to be better than the popular films in the west. And I mean 'tend to be'
    obviously we get some good ones too, but far and few between.

I guess back in the 80's there were alot more popular quality films.
    Just at the moment(and for the past 15 years) there have been very few good popular movies,
    let me see ... shawshank, matrix, LOTR ......
    granted there are a whole lot of semi-popular movies that are good, but back in the late 70's - 80's films like Robocop, Alien, Predator, Bladerunner, Terminator .. list goes on were all mainstream.

Hey speaking of Camerons films, check it out Battle Angel Alita, Live action.
    Kickass. I wonder will this bring back the old Cameron. Here's to hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Fun, enjoyable, but not brilliant in any sense of the word.

Well, no offence to you or your essay, but I just got through reading Jonathan Rosenbaum's "Movie Wars" and he quite often refers to cinema of Europe and the US as "Western cinema". Since he is a respected film critic and sometime cultural commentator and you're just some dude off boards, I'm going to side with him for the time being and continue to use "western cinema" in the way that he does.

i stand corected and will make the alterations to my assignment...cheers. (didnt see that one coming did ya?)

Advertisement