Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Age 36 - How can I move to Canada?

• 11-08-2014 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm a 36 year old guy looking to move to Canada (Vancouver) for work and I'm trying to find out how to go about it.

I have a Bachelors Commerce Degree, plenty of work experience in sales and business development (FMCG and I.T).

I'm also fluent in French and have university qualifications to back this up.

My question is this: what options are available to me to secure a job/visa?

How feasible is it to get a job offer from a Canadian company and then get a Visa that way?

If anybody gone down this route before, I'd really appreciate knowing how you succeeded.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/getting-started.asp

That will determine your eligibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭celtictigermrk2

I've had a look at that, but it's very vague.

According to the Points scoring criteria I have 74 (in excess of the 67 minimum required) but still can't find out what visa is the most appropriate...

You're too old for the IEC, you must be a FSW? Apply under that programme. It'll take a year or two to process a visa. Alternatively search the internet to find positions where there the employer has already secured a visa. The way to find them is through research.

Best resource for you: http://moving2canada.com/immigration-to-canada/labour-market-opinion-lmo-work-in-canada/

"Alternatively search the internet to find positions where there the employer has already secured a visa. The way to find them is through research."

That's good info. I didn't realise there are situations where the employer has already secured a visa.

Any ideas on how to go about finding these positions / employers? Really appreciate it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Same question myself. I think the FSW is the one to apply for. It is being changed next year though to something else?

• Advertisement

"Same question myself. I think the FSW is the one to apply for. It is being changed next year though to something else?"

Yeah, it seems like the only I can come up with in my own research...

Any idea on processing times and eligibiity criteria?

When I do the points scoring system myself, I come up with 74 (more than the required), yet when I try the govt. online system it says that i don't qualify??

"Same question myself. I think the FSW is the one to apply for. It is being changed next year though to something else?"

Yeah, it seems like the only I can come up with in my own research...

Any idea on processing times and eligibiity criteria?

When I do the points scoring system myself, I come up with 74 (more than the required), yet when I try the govt. online system it says that i don't qualify??

Doesn't it subtract points based on age? It's either that system or the Australian system? I know someone who is applying, she was told 27 months in total.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/skilled-fed.asp

Same as you OP, I seem to have the points. From what I can gather it can take 20 odd months, but could be quicker for the likes of Quebec. I'm not sure on total costs.

Maybe you might have some luck applying for jobs from Ireland. I was thinking of doing it, but am not sure if I would be just wasting my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 thepoolgirl

Visamigrate is who we are with as we are both over 36 this was the only way of going my boyfriend is a chef so we are going on the federal skilled workers visa its 5 year permanent resident you get the same rights as the Canadians like doctor, Dental etc.
    There is a group on Facebook called Irish and new in Toronto i know you wanna head to Vancouver but there's people on that who have lived in vancouver so its worth a look.,we don't go to Canada until 2016 but it gives us chance to save a good amount of money.

• Advertisement

Visamigrate is who we are with as we are both over 36 this was the only way of going my boyfriend is a chef so we are going on the federal skilled workers visa its 5 year permanent resident you get the same rights as the Canadians like doctor, Dental etc.
    There is a group on Facebook called Irish and new in Toronto i know you wanna head to Vancouver but there's people on that who have lived in vancouver so its worth a look.,we don't go to Canada until 2016 but it gives us chance to save a good amount of money.

Thanks for that, good to know.

Could you post the Facebook link, can't seem to find it.

I can't sent the link it says i'm new lol on the search bar on facebook just put in Irish & new in toronto.

I can't sent the link it says i'm new lol on the search bar on facebook just put in Irish & new in toronto.

I did, but this is all I get: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Irish-Canadian-Immigration-Centre/154674707978462

http://www.irishcanadianimmigrationcentre.org/irish-and-new-to-toronto/

on facebook put https:// www .facebook. com/groups/585441388195757/ no spapcing thats the link

on facebook put https:// www .facebook. com/groups/585441388195757/ no spapcing thats the link

Thanks, in the meantime, I emailed the crowd you said you were with.

As far as I am aware, the FSW is not going to be there in 2015? There will be a new type of visa? Express something or other.

Did you go on http:// visamigrate .com ? if not theres a call back request thing on there.no spaces that's the link

Yeah, that's the one, sent them an email. I am not too gone on giving my phone number to them at the start. I just get the feeling they'll be ringing trying to put pressure on me or something!

OP. Have you looked into this anymore?

I was going to apply for jobs from Ireland, to gauge it, and then take it from there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement