Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Dermot & Dave Thread [98fm]

• 16-08-2013 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Welcome to the Dermot & Dave on 98fm thread, anyone else enjoy this show as much as me? 3.00pm - 7.00pm Mon-Fri. I'll be honest and admit I only started listening when I followed Ray Foley over to 98 from TodayFM. I used to leave TodayFM on from 9 til my drive home but was so sick of the same old stuff from Tony Fenton every day. These lads are a joy.

They're so creative, all their jingles and segments are a winner, like 'Say Stuff That Suits the Music', 'Mary from Florida', 'Jingly Bits', 'Dave's World' etc, as is their 'banter'. A lot of people will recognise Dermot from Republic of Telly, but he's completely different on the radio. I never realised he was such an accomplished improv comedian. If you haven't heard them before, I'd suggest giving them a listen. I'm surprised there hasn't been a proper thread on them before. By all accounts they were keeping 98 going for the last while.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭chilloutrelax

As much as you think they are popular they have a very low listenership and probably won't last too much longer.
    98fm should focus on music and have a drive time show focused on such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

As much as you think they are popular they have a very low listenership and probably won't last too much longer.
    98fm should focus on music and have a drive time show focused on such.

They actually pick the ratings up around 6 o clock to be fair to them, they are an assest to the station so I can't see the station forcing them out, since they moved from breakfast the station has declined in listener ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭chilloutrelax

soc160 wrote: »
    They actually pick the ratings up around 6 o clock to be fair to them, they are an assest to the station so I can't see the station forcing them out, since they moved from breakfast the station has declined in listener ship.

I'm affairs they take a dive at 6pm accruing to the latest JNLR.

Have alook at http://www.ilevel.ie/media-blog/radio/jnlr-2013-2-dublin-radio-listnership

In a particular the Dublin Quarters (Qs)....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I'm sure they'd find an audience somewhere, and at any time of the day, such is their appeal imo. I don't listen to the radio for music, I listen for personalities, and they are streets ahead of anyone in that timeslot. Love them or hate them, but the same can be said for Ray Foley, Ray D'Arcy, Dave Fanning. They have defined personalities.

What way would you think the market is going? Do people want to hear music or chat? I would have thought chat to be honest, as music is so widely available from iPods etc now, but the JNLR's seem to disagree with me. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

I think Dermot and Dave are brilliant and truly create some real 'laugh-out-loud radio'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

I think they are terrific and certainly superior to Foley and co in that they are funny in an inoffensive way. Foley is quite divisive, you either love him or hate the smart arseness, whereas Dermot and Dave are instantly likeable. Its a massive pity that they couldnt be kept on breakfast, It wouldnt surprise me if Foley was on the same money as dermot and dave combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭LeakyGee

Great talent and very nice blokes!!

It took a long long time to get there, i recall the early days, jesus they were awful :)

Rocking it these days

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

LeakyGee wrote: »
    Great talent and very nice blokes!!

It took a long long time to get there, i recall the early days, jesus they were awful :)

Rocking it these days

When did the pair start, was it on "Dublin's 98" breakfast?

That Ciaran Gribbins (sp?) comes across very sound, some great stories he has! The new song is very good too imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Love Dermot & Dave; they've some great features. It's a really comfortable show I find, in a good way - not sure if I'm using the right word to describe what I mean :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

Mary from Florida is so nice, if you have Boast the App you can chat away to her on it, and she is just a legend :D

Also D&D are brilliant, always have me in stitches laughing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭DUBLIN_person

Top Quality Radio, Always Listened to them in the morning, but now it's not always possible for me to tune in...

Mary from Florida is so nice, if you have Boast the App you can chat away to her on it, and she is just a legend :D

Also D&D are brilliant, always have me in stitches laughing :D

It's mad that she's consistently funny, every week. She's seems so nice, and her sayings are hilarious!

Jason Todd wrote: »
    It's mad that she's consistently funny, every week. She's seems so nice, and her sayings are hilarious!

I love her sayings... i'm telling you go on Boast the app and she has so much more..

my fav few are
    I'm nuttier than a port-a-potty at a peanut festival
    that's nuttier than a squirrel turd
    and possibly the funniest one ever
    it's hotter than the devils nacho farts

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jessiblah

I love Dermott and Dave! They're hilarious! As James said, go onto Boast and you'll get to chat to Mary from Florida (and Dave too of course). I thought they'd a huge following. The JNLR surprised me there to be honest.

jessiblah wrote: »
    I love Dermott and Dave! They're hilarious! As James said, go onto Boast and you'll get to chat to Mary from Florida (and Dave too of course). I thought they'd a huge following. The JNLR surprised me there to be honest.

Are you on boast :)
    It is possibly one of the best apps of all times

Are you on boast :)
    It is possibly one of the best apps of all times

I am! I don't Boast too much though. I'm jessiblah on there too!

Dave is great craic on it. It's like an ongoing Dermott and Dave reality app. :P

jessiblah wrote: »
    I am! I don't Boast too much though. I'm jessiblah on there too!

Dave is great craic on it. It's like an ongoing Dermott and Dave reality app. :P

should boast more often .. the bants on it are awesome my fav part is Mary's on it :D

should boast more often .. the bants on it are awesome my fav part is Mary's on it :D

Haha yeah! Her sayings are just something else. I don't know where they do come from! I'd love to be able to carry off those sayings but I'd so sound like a wanna be. :P

Both Dermot and Dave have been nominated for the Music Broadcaster of the Year at the PPI Radio Awards 2013, and 'Say Stuff that Suits the Music" has been nominated in Entertainment Inserts category. :)

• Advertisement

Can't believe Dave picked Mariah Carey's 'All I Want for Christmas' yesterday for Cheese n' Crackers. Not only that, but it won 60% of the vote!

Too early! :D

Can't believe Dave picked Mariah Carey's 'All I Want for Christmas' yesterday for Cheese n' Crackers. Not only that, but it won 60% of the vote!

Too early! :D

Cheese and crackers, Cheese and crackers, Cheese and crackers NOM! such an awesome jingle :D

Aren't they all!

Cheese n Crackers, Jingly Bits, Shelley's Telly, Say Stuff That Suit the Music, even the Tea n Biccie tune mini-jingle makes me laugh! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

And to go with it all,The secret sound went yesterday also :)

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    And to go with it all,The secret sound went yesterday also :)

It was actually so simple in the end. As the caller said it was a DVD case, and they replayed the sound I said to myself, yep, that sounds like it!

Aren't they all!

Cheese n Crackers, Jingly Bits, Shelley's Telly, Say Stuff That Suit the Music, even the Tea n Biccie tune mini-jingle makes me laugh! :D

there has been the occasional when in the library late and listening to the lads that I've sang the "here comes shelly with the telly, it's shelly's telly ( oh yeah ) on 98fm.... out loud to wonder why everyone's staring at me .... oh well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Barry Dunne confirmed on twitter that his new slot is midday til 4 so the lads are losing an hour :( wonder what features etc will go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

A 4 hour show was always too long

Seren_ wrote: »
    Barry Dunne confirmed on twitter that his new slot is midday til 4 so the lads are losing an hour :( wonder what features etc will go?

Speaking of twitter .... did you see the tweet directed at you :P
    "Hi Seren_ :-)"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Synode wrote: »
    A 4 hour show was always too long

Was it? They never had any filler you could argue... I mentioned it on the Aidrian and Jeremy thread they could lose an hour.. I like that i'm right, but also disappointed because they are the best duo on radio.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement