Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving Cybil in Silent Hill 1

• 07-10-2012 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hello to all at the forum,

After playing Silent Hill 1 I have realized that there are multiple endings. After my first play through I of course got the Bad + ending. How was anyone supposed to know that using the red liquid on Cybil when she is infected with the parasite would work during any number of play throughs, let alone their first play through without looking at a guide online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Hello to all at the forum,

After playing Silent Hill 1 I have realized that there are multiple endings. After my first play through I of course got the Bad + ending. How was anyone supposed to know that using the red liquid on Cybil when she is infected with the parasite would work during any number of play throughs, let alone their first play through without looking at a guide online?

Ah, the joys of old skool gaming when the player is not spoon fed with everything they need and treated like an ADHD American kid. Proper value for money and the reward for finding things out for yourself.

Back when SH first came out not many had internet access and for those that did it was 56k at best. Had to wait months to buy a gaming magazine with a guide inside. Those were the days.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Moved from Playstation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's hinted at in some of the documents you pick up. It's definitely there if you read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

Yes it's hinted in a very subtle manner, but it's not really intended that you figure it out on your first go - like how were you supposed to figure that the liquid on the hospital floor was actually Aglaophatis? I also think it's a bit more apparent if you see
    Kaufmann throw the bottle at Alessa
    before the final boss too.

You've to really connect the dots all the way throughout. But as someone said above, it wasn't exactly spoonfed to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Multiple endings are such arse. Nothing more miserable than playing a game for 8 hours only to find out you played it "wrong". They got it right with Silent Hill 2, those endings were really just a reworking of the same theme more or less.

• Advertisement

My problem with Silent Hill is not with the openness of it, which I enjoy. It's just that the most seemingly arbitrary and insignificant of player actions can impact on the story and effectively "punish" the player and rob them from some closure just because they did not play according to a very obscure system. I did get the red goo in SH1, but I was completely unaware of the other sidequest becoming unavailable after a certain time. There are no "good" and "bad" endings in Silent Hill 1, just the "right" ending and a slew of "wrong" ones. Which is why SH2 was such a big improvement. "Leave" and "In water" are perfectly congruent with the game's story up to that point. Though I'm not a fan of the Maria ending. I'm glad my game didn't end that way.

It was even worse in Parasite Eve 2. Look up the ending FAQs for that one if you dare.

The Resident Evil 1 example annoys me as well. If you don't wait for Barry Burton at the end of the rope the game will not allow you to face the final boss. At least in Chris' mode the bad ending was down to you not being fast enough to save Rebecca.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,993 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ah, the joys of old skool gaming when the player is not spoon fed with everything they need and treated like an ADHD American kid. Proper value for money and the reward for finding things out for yourself.

Back when SH first came out not many had internet access and for those that did it was 56k at best. Had to wait months to buy a gaming magazine with a guide inside. Those were the days.

Being spoonfed buy a guide one month laters for a fiver isn't any better!

Back in the day I would just go use the nearby library's internet to find out what to do and write it down somewhere. Game guides weren't that elusive back then. Getting the guide was like a mini-adventure in itself, a meta-game if you will. :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

People actually bought guides?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Retr0gamer wrote: »

and still do, bizarrely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Retr0gamer wrote: »

People bought magazines. A lot of these magazines featured hints, tips, and somethimes guides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

deathrider wrote: »

People bought magazines. A lot of these magazines featured hints, tips, and somethimes guides.

Yeah i remeber buying a ps one mag just for the silent hill guide book was only like 9 or 10 when i first played it lol

I still have that guide in the backroom aswell lol

Puzzles in SH 1 were hard for me at the time but i recently replayed it and enjoyed the puzzles they were interesting and i did them without any help

• Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I got a CVG with a guide for Final Fantasy IX.

Damn near ruined half the story for me.

Thankfully I was young & forgetful, so by the time event X happened I'd already forgotten what they'd written.

Advertisement