Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hip-Hop 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

disappointed, was hoping that the new material would have less ft's aswell as non-album cuts but this is ju*t taking the pis*.

this is not mixtape material, these are album cuts like his last few mixtapes.

It's just a mixtape, he's giving his fans tracks that didn't make his last album album plus a few new tracks, he's not trying to promote a new album, just giving away 24 songs for free - what's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

That is a ridiculous amount of featured artists, I miss the old game.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    That is a ridiculous amount of featured artists, I miss the old game.

It's a ridiculous amount of tracks for someone like Game to give away on one tape. It's a lot but in fairness it's music he's giving to his fans for nothing, he's not promoting or trying to sell anything, just giving it away because he feels like it. If you don't want to hear all the features then don't download it, if you want to listen to the old Game then listen to his old albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    It's just a mixtape, he's giving his fans tracks that didn't make his last album album plus a few new tracks, he's not trying to promote a new album, just giving away 24 songs for free - what's the problem?

there's no problem, its just something i dont want to see from game anymore. its becoming more than annoying for me. Iv been crying out to hear game spit on his own back for ages.

most mixtapes are free so thats nothing different but he claims his mixtapes are great when the last few were nearly all album cuts, a bit disrespectful to the actual mixtape hustle imo. There albums not mixtapes in my eyes.

its just a crazy amount of ft's man, as if his albums dont have enough of them but now his mixtapes. im sorry but it just has to be said, its ridiculous at this stage, that tracklist is pathetic.

its just a crazy amount of ft's man, as if his albums dont have enough of them but now his mixtapes. im sorry but it just has to be said, its ridiculous at this stage, that tracklist is pathetic.

There are a ridiculous amount of features but I know no one here is surprised or disappointed, this was to be expected. I'm probably the biggest Game fan here but even I wasn't expecting big things from this tape. Now, after seeing the tracklist, I'm looking forward to hearing a few of the tracks, thought there would be 14 or 15 on there but out of 24 there's bound to be a few I like..

• Advertisement

There are a ridiculous amount of features but I know no one here is surprised or disappointed, this was to be expected. I'm probably the biggest Game fan here but even I wasn't expecting big things from this tape. Now, after seeing the tracklist, I'm looking forward to hearing a few of the tracks, thought there would be 14 or 15 on there but out of 24 there's bound to be a few I like..

this time round, i didnt expect it or at least as many as that. i didnt expect many features because game's dj talked about his new work to have less features and name drops as thats something he's getting slated for.

il give it a blast most defiantly, there's bound to be a few good one's like you said. Its just the less features on his music the more of actual the game we will hear. honestly most of his music is full of features, he's done this time and time again.

its time for something different from him because its been like this since the documentary and his g unit days and the thing that annoys me the most is he always tends sponge of the hottest rappers at that given time, i just want hear game not a we are the world record because thats what a lot of his stuff sounds like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Very meh, is this the good Friday single ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Very meh, is this the good Friday single ?

Yep, its the good Friday one. Absolute drivel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

+1000

I don't get peoples problems with artists releasing too much material, for free for their fans.

More work no matter how bad you think it is lessens his previous work.

24 tracks means 24 verses from Game minimum whether he has 1 feature or 1000 features that fact does not change I do not see the problem.

If he did not have the fts he could have made that tape with say 10-12 songs which is what a lot of artists do but imo the more the better we are already over saturated with content.

+1000

I don't get peoples problems with artists releasing too much material, for free for their fans.

More work no matter how bad you think it is lessens his previous work.

No one is complaining about the free material, what I'm saying is the music is horrible and is doing him no favours.

the term quality not quantity obviuolsly has no meaning to you though in that case.

Again how you think this rapper is improving with a tracklist like that just baffles the life out of me, your seriously coming across as a fanboy in denial.

Kanye's GOOD music single is pretty sh1t
    2012 has been pretty poor so far

No one is complaining about the free material, what I'm saying is the music is horrible and is doing him no favours.

the term quality not quantity obviuolsly has no meaning to you though in that case.

Again how you think this rapper is improving with a tracklist like that just baffles the life out of me, your seriously coming across as a fanboy in denial.

You can have quality and quantity, it does not have to be black and white. I will have to listen to this before I say whether it is good or not but no matter how many tracks are on it it does not affect how good or bad the mixtape or artist is.

I am a fanboy? Didn't you like Eminems last two albums?

I never said he was getting better based off this mixtape, this mixtape just came out.

You can have quality and quantity, it does not have to be black and white. I will have to listen to this before I say whether it is good or not but no matter how many tracks are on it it does not affect how good or bad the mixtape or artist is.

I am a fanboy? Didn't you like Eminems last two albums?

I never said he was getting better based off this mixtape, this mixtape just came out.

No one is disputing the amount of tracks on it. I'm complaining about the amount of actual features on it, just backs up my point that game needs fts to make music.

I said I didn't mind crack a bottle vs INAD, never said I liked relapse it's was the exact opposite everything from ems flow to dre's production, don't know where your getting that from.

I liked recovery so what, how does that make me a fanboy lol ?

You said game is improving as a rapper , I never said anything about your claim being based of this mixtape, I only used the track list as an example to you that he's reliant on ft's and that he is clearly not improving if other artists still have a huge hand in his music.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

MD1990 wrote: »
    Kanye's GOOD music single is pretty sh1t
    2012 has been pretty poor so far

It has been if you are relying on Kanye, Big Sean and 2 Chainz to provide your music.

Chamillionaire, Koncept, Emcee Jermaine, Curren$y and Big K.R.I.T. have all put out some great releases. You just have to go looking for them. Don't forget Freddie Gibbs and Madlib still have to release their album. As do Exile and Fashwan. That's going to be unreal.

My pick of them all would be Koncept and Emcee Jermaine, with Jermaine taking it by a nose. His EP is amazingly good. Come the end of the year I'd be surprised if I've heard too many that are better.

It has been if you are relying on Kanye, Big Sean and 2 Chainz to provide your music.

Chamillionaire, Koncept, Emcee Jermaine, Curren$y and Big K.R.I.T. have all put out some great releases. You just have to go looking for them. Don't forget Freddie Gibbs and Madlib still have to release their album. As do Exile and Fashwan. That's going to be unreal.

My pick of them all would be Koncept and Emcee Jermaine, with Jermaine taking it by a nose. His EP is amazingly good. Come the end of the year I'd be surprised if I've heard too many that are better.

+1 on chamillionaire. Top notch EP brought out by him last month.

yeah Cham's EP was great
    i don't listen to the artists u named though

No one is disputing the amount of tracks on it. I'm complaining about the amount of actual features on it, just backs up my point that game needs fts to make music.

I liked recovery so what, how does that make me a fanboy lol ?

You said game is improving as a rapper , I never said anything about your claim being based of this mixtape, I only used the track list as an example to you that he's reliant on ft's and that he is clearly not improving if other artists still have a huge hand in his music.

Whether he needs fts or not does not take away anything from his verses on his tracks.

Again features have no bearing on the Games verses on his songs. His verses are his verses if he wanted to have 5 features on every song that does not change his material.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

MD1990 wrote: »
    yeah Cham's EP was great
    i don't listen to the artists u named though

You should then. A few years ago I limited myself to certain artists. But now I'm looking up guys that are mentioned here. Soon enough you realise what you like and what you don't. Every release that I mentioned in my post is top notch and levels above that GOOD music tune.

• Advertisement

Whether he needs fts or not does not take away anything from his verses on his tracks.

Again features have no bearing on the Games verses on his songs. His verses are his verses if he wanted to have 5 features on every song that does not change his material.

It'd be nice to hear some new game stuff minus the feats though. I just want to hear one song from him where he doesn't rely on other rappers to polish off the song. 1 verse per song from the main rapper doesn't cut it for me.

whats so special about his verses? its name drop after drop so predictable...

the ft's have a huge Bering on the impact of his music though i.e without wayne on red nation ft wayne, pot of gold ft chrs brown, hate it or love it ft 50, how we do ft 50, one blood ft junior read, my life ft lil wayne the list is endless and they obviously have a bearing on his verses as he has a habit of mimicking other rappers styles most of the time when he's on a track with them.

His verses are his verses, if he wants to have Barney samples on every second song I don't see the problem you can skip all the features if you want.

His new album will have no features and most of the name drops are in punchlines, not in a "look at me I know X" sort of way. I can see how people don't like him though.
    P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    It'd be nice to hear some new game stuff minus the feats though. I just want to hear one song from him where he doesn't rely on other rappers to polish off the song. 1 verse per song from the main rapper doesn't cut it for me.

Well you will get your wish on his new album. I don't know many of his songs where he only has 1 verse though.

(also as much as I like Game he is not in my top 5 current hip-hop artists even possibly top 10, I just like his music. Actually he probably would not be in my top 5 rappers from the west atm either.)

wayne on red nation ft wayne, pot of gold ft chrs brown, hate it or love it ft 50, how we do ft 50, one blood ft junior read, my life ft lil wayne the list is endless and they obviously have a bearing on his verses as he has a habit of mimicking other rappers styles most of the time when he's on a track with them.

Hook, Hook, verses from his labelmates and group member on his debut, same as previous song, another hook, yet another hook.

Great examples of "too many" features.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Vid of Tech N9ne, Krizz Kaliko and Ces Cru with their tune Unfair at Strange HQ promoting their current tour and I spose Ces Cru's new mixtapes 'The Deevil' and 'Matter Don't Money' coming out soon. Great song and Ces Cru are just class, gonna be a big year for them I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭BREDNEP

loving that ab soul track, great instrumental too.

i cant wait for the 1st black hippy album, each of them just bring something different to the table, there all very unique imo.
    Hook, Hook, verses from his labelmates and group member on his debut, same as previous song, another hook, yet another hook.

Great examples of "too many" features.
    im hardly going to name every single song, id be here all day. All people have to do is look at his tracklists and do the math. Im not trying to prove a point either , its just something i dont want to see anymore from him which you seem to challenge me on defending the fact he relies on other artists.

im hardly going to name every single song, id be here all day. All people have to do is look at his tracklists and do the math. Im not trying to prove a point either , its just something i dont want to see anymore from him which you seem to challenge me on defending the fact he relies on other artists.

Besides his debut where he worked with his label mates and group members you named all tracks that had people on the hook which is very very normal for rappers.

The tracklist may say features but a lot of them are for hooks, not verses. On his albums especially he does not have a lot more rapper features than most other artists.

Besides his debut where he worked with his label mates and group members you named all tracks that had people on the hook which is very very normal for rappers.

The tracklist may say features but a lot of them are for hooks, not verses. On his albums especially he does not have a lot more rapper features than most other artists.

he had 12 ft's on an 18 cut album on his debut , verses and hooks dont come into mate a feature is a feature. Now im not going to criticize anyone for their debut on too many ft's that would be wrong because he actually needed those people to kick start his career. most artists debuts are the same.

DA had 13 ft's on a 16 cut album, another 13 on a 19 cut album in lax and then red with around 17 fts on a 21 cut album with the likes of wayne and dre ft'd more than once.

i say hooks and verses dont come into because game always struggled on his hooks, ye he's done well on a few but that was one of the reasons behind him being on the verge of being dropped by aftermath before he joined g unit even knocturnal said it, dont take my word.

http://hiphopwired.com/2010/01/27/knoc-turn%E2%80%99al-says-50-cent-saved-the-games-career-game-responds-video/
    I didn't hate. They didn't do what they was supposed to do… I'm gonna say something about the 50 Cent/ The Game beef. If somebody is making you a $100-million a year and then somebody else is coming in and trying to destroy that, is that not Satan. What I'm saying is he (The Game) came back around and now he's back with Dre because he stopped being a follower of the devil. (I guess the devil is 50 Cent). The devil is active always. It's no disrespect to Game but it's a reason why I don't do songs with certain people. Maturity is the key.

Let me tell you about business instead of where you from. Game is from Compton. OK, we know that. Game was about to get dropped from Aftermath. Aftermath and Interscope was about to drop him and 50 Cent picked him up and put hooks on his stuff. The only reason he was about to get dropped from Aftermath was because he couldn't make no hooks for his own music. So 50 Cent picked him up, made some hooks for him and put him out and he sold 5 million records.

• Advertisement

There is a huge difference between someone on a hook and a rapper actually doing a guest verse.

On his albums he is not over the top with actual guest verses.

Most rappers suck at hooks. 50 himself sucked at them before JMJ helped him out.

Whereas 50 learned to write good hooks and went on to be very very very well known, Game did not and went on to just rap and was therefore less successful. I see no problem with a rapper getting a singer or another rapper for a hook, why do your own hooks if you are bad at them? (even with practice he would likely never be good on a hook it is not his style)

Advertisement