Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samsung Galaxy S II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

Did you try a different GAPPS?

Not yet. Getting late. Setup a dual boot with my standard rom for now. Used the the GAPPS provided on the XDA thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cgordonfreeman

Wanton wrote: »
    Not yet. Getting late. Setup a dual boot with my standard rom for now. Used the the GAPPS provided on the XDA thread.

Weird. Unless it's some dual boot quirk.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

Weird. Unless it's some dual boot quirk.

Had the same issue before I setuo dualboot. Will worry bout it in the am!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭Daith

I tried to update to JB with Odin but my phone keeps looking for a "network" code to unlock the phone? any ideas? JB looks brill though. Hate to go back to ICS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Daith wrote: »
    I tried to update to JB with Odin but my phone keeps looking for a "network" code to unlock the phone? any ideas? JB looks brill though. Hate to go back to ICS.

are you in download mode on the S2?

• Advertisement

kingtiger wrote: »
    are you in download mode on the S2?

I used download mode to flash a JB ROM with Odin. Everything went fine but it keeps looking for a network code when the phone boots. If I dismiss it I can use the phone but I'm just in "emergency calls" mode

I used download mode to flash a JB ROM with Odin. Everything went fine but it keeps looking for a network code when the phone boots. If I dismiss it I can use the phone but I'm just in "emergency calls" mode

oh right

what JB firmware did you flash? was it unbranded?

oh right

what JB firmware did you flash? was it unbranded?

I9100XWLS8_I9100FOPLS3_FOP was the one I used. It was unbranded as far as I know. It's not a huge deal anyway but annoying.

did you try entering your apn settings?

I9100XWLS8_I9100FOPLS3_FOP was the one I used. It was unbranded as far as I know. It's not a huge deal anyway but annoying.

did you try entering your apn settings?

It won't let me. Basically it doesn't even register on 3. It's like it's in flight mode untill I enter a network unlock pin. It's fine though. I'll dig around a bit more.

And I got it fixed. Damn my weak google skills. Apparently my phone was only partially unlocked. So I fully unlocked it in ICS and it carried over when I updated to JB.

Thanks for your suggestions though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cgordonfreeman

I had that problem before. For me it was a corrupted efs folder. Did you ever backup your efs folder?

Edit: saw you fixed it. Cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Still no JB update for this?

I feel cheated. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

SamHall wrote: »
    Still no JB update for this?

I feel cheated. :(

Through Kies, yes. o2/Voda/3/whoever hasn't released it.

I am personally waiting for CM10.1 since I am already running CM9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Through Kies, yes. o2/Voda/3/whoever hasn't released it.

I am personally waiting for CM10.1 since I am already running CM9

Can't even find a JB ROM in samfirmware either though :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

For the past four days I have been unable to make or receive calls. I get a text so say somebody tried to call me. When I try to make a call it doesn't connect, just says "call ended" after a couple of seconds. Sending and receiving texts is working fine.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Irish sim free S2's should be getting official Jelly bean 4.1.2 in the next couple of days now. the ROM that was supposedly released officially in Spain about two weeks ago was withdrawn due to battery life issues. It was released with a fix to that bug in the last few days, and the Nordic countries have gotten it too.

This means the UK and Ireland can;t be too far off now..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

anyone using this ROM?

PARANOIDANDROID

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

My galaxy is over 18 months old. I still seem to have android 2.3.3. Should I not have got automatic updates since? Am I missing out on much?
    I went into phone and clicked on software update but it seemed to be some samsung update as I had to sign upto samsung.
    When I click on the android version it doesnt give me any option to update.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

My galaxy is over 18 months old. I still seem to have android 2.3.3. Should I not have got automatic updates since? Am I missing out on much?
    I went into phone and clicked on software update but it seemed to be some samsung update as I had to sign upto samsung.
    When I click on the android version it doesnt give me any option to update.
    Thanks

Yeah, You have to sign up for the over the air updates I think. Otherwise, you can use Samsung Kies, which is a windows programme. Truly horrific software but you can update your firmware using it. You really should because 2.3.3 (Gingerbread) was the first firmware the phone came with. Gingerbread was launched in 2010 so its pretty old firmware. You should be able to update to 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich) currently and 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean) hopefully in the next few days

Speaking of Jelly Bean, still nothing. There looks to be battery issues with the rom still.

http://www.sammobile.com/2013/01/23/samsung-rolls-out-android-4-1-2-jelly-bean-update-to-the-galaxy-s-ii/

The comments at the very end of that (massive) page are good telling where it'll be released next, and issues with the roms that are currently going around..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Is there not a simpler way to update? I dont like Kies as for some strange reason you need a PC or laptop for it. My nexus 7 updated automatically through the wifi. Why cant the galaxy do this?
    I tried to do the update (under settings) but after downloading it, it said I had inadequate storage even though I have plenty of free space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

irishgeo wrote: »
    anyone using this ROM?

PARANOIDANDROID
    Might get a better answer in in the SGS2 modding thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73070784

I haven't tried that one myself but it has some cool features, I'm on Chameleon myself
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1847600
    Is there not a simpler way to update? I dont like Kies as for some strange reason you need a PC or laptop for it. My nexus 7 updated automatically through the wifi. Why cant the galaxy do this?
    I tried to do the update (under settings) but after downloading it, it said I had inadequate storage even though I have plenty of free space.
    SGS2 can't do this because it's not an official Google device (Nexus) which gets the latest stock Android first
    Samsung have to create their own version of Jelly Bean before they can push it out to the providers (Vodafone, Meteor etc) who then put their own crap on it and finally release it via Kies (I think that's the way it works)

There is the modding route, once you root your device with a program called Odin and get CWM (a recovery boot menu that allows easy installs of ROMs), you can download several different stock Android based ROMs or Samsung based ones, and get the bleeding edge version of Android.
    Some even update themselves over wifi.

As I mentioned above, I am on a ROM called Chameleon, it is a hybrid of Samsungs Jelly Bean 4.1.2 (that has been released in other countries) and has features of modified vanilla Android ROM called AOKP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The charging jack on my phone is faulty after a year and a half - anyone know how much this would cost to fix or is it even worth my while. Must see if 3 will let me upgrade my phone (2 year contract)

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭_Puma_

I just fixed this on my phone this week. Was fairly straightforward reassuringly enough! This is the part about €10 delivered. Followed this video on youtube.

Most repair shops would probably charge over €50 for this when it is a really straight forward repair. If you had to change the headphone jack or something it would be a bit more involved. More than likely it would not be covered under warranty either as it is usually water damage that causes the USB port to malfunction so they wont touch it. Its a design flaw in my opininon because the USB board was never coated properly for protection against water damage and it is fairly exposed, unlike the S which has a protective flap.

I have a blackberry and it uses the same connection, so I tried using the charger that comes with that and plugged it in and its charging. Could it be possible that the samsung usb (male) charger got damaged?

Possibly, Have you noticed anything else weird happening with the phone? What happened to me was the Voice Command app started turning on randomly, like the usb was been connected to a handsfree set. Then the battery icon started flashing and the phone always thought it was in charging mode. Could not turn it on without plugging in a charging cable. Noticed that the Battery usage was all messed up too. This all started happening over time, was just the Voice app thing for ages then progressively got worse. Ya might be lucky and it is just the cable.

How I troubleshooted(Is this a word :) !) the issue was first to rule out the cable, battery,software problem, some dirt in the USB port untill I figured it must be a hardware problem... Was praying it was something on the USB connector and not on the mainboard itself.

Only thing I have noticed that it shows low storage error even though there is loads or so its telling me.

Id say that is unrelated, but I could be wrong. Have a look at Settings - Storage and see what is taking up the space. Then try to turn the phone on and off if you are sure there is plenty of space, maybe a System Reset as a last resort Software fix but be sure to back up. You are aware that the Internal storage is usually reserved for OS and system apps so nothing else should really be stored there. You should usually use the USB storage or an SD card for saving pictures and that.

Try another cable for charging and if it works after a week or so you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

_Puma_ wrote: »
    More than likely it would not be covered under warranty either as it is usually water damage that causes the USB port to malfunction so they wont touch it. Its a design flaw in my opininon because the USB board was never coated properly for protection against water damage and it is fairly exposed, unlike the S which has a protective flap.
    They did my usb port under warranty, albeit via my insurance company (no excess chargable because it was done under warranty).

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    They did my usb port under warranty, albeit via my insurance company (no excess chargable because it was done under warranty).

They may have relaxed there rules because they were aware of the issue. Usually if there any sign of water damage warranty is void. Reading the XDA forums it seems that the problem with the USB is fairly common.

Advertisement