Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Nothing and All within my hands up on spotify from S&M 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

scudzilla wrote: »
    Got an email saying I didn't win the competition that entitles ya to buy super deluxe signed edition of S&M2 for €300.

Thought about it a bit more today and I'm a bit pissed off wit them for doing this.

Super deluxe unsigned is around the €140 mark, yet they're charging an extra €120 for band autographs, something that costs them nothing.

Would you have thought the same if you'd won the right to buy the Super Deluxe Box Set in the competition though? Why enter?

The S&M2 Deluxe Box Set is €114 on the Euro store, minus postage, so yes you would have been paying the extra money just for sheets of music (not copies) hand signed by all four members of the band in the Super Deluxe Box Set, which is fairly rare to get these days as James doesn't do M&G's and isn't likely to do so following his health issues. So it basically depends on what value YOU put on the sheets of music signed by all of them... Some collectors appreciate autographs, some don't. Nobody was compelled to enter the competition, and even if they won the right to buy a Super Deluxe Box, they still didn't have to pay the $300 and complete their purchase if they felt it wasn't worth it, and somebody else would have got the chance to buy it at the end of August. So nobody is/was being forced to take part.

Personally, I thought it was a fair offer based on what signed - by all four members of the band - Metallica items go for on eBay. (And these would be genuine!!!) As a Metallica fan I think it would be a good item to have. Alas, my entry didn't win, and with the amount who entered I didn't expect to, but you always live in hope, that's life! I don't see it as a rip-off though and some bands wouldn't even offer 500 boxes with hand signed items.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Well given they've almost hit 40 years, what's another 18 :pac:

Joking aside, if the Rolling Stones can do it, why not Metallica? Granted the Stones stuff isn't as challenging to play compared to Metallica's.

Not even that the Stones' stuff isn't as challenging, or maybe rather as physical, but the Stones pack out their show with a host of fantastic backing musicians. This means that any one of the Stones can afford to have an off night and not have it be overly noticeable with others behind you to pick up the slack. Different story with Metallica, where it's really only those four guys. If age really starts to affect their playing ability, they have less ways to hide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Metallica will start screwing around with holograms. Maybe even stand in musicians. But probably holograms. So there'll be Cliff Burton show with holograms of Masters-era Metallica. That will tour. And Metallica can live off the intellectual property rights. I'm pretty sure Marx predicted this in Das Kapital Volume III

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

ush wrote: »
    Metallica will start screwing around with holograms. Maybe even stand in musicians. But probably holograms. So there'll be Cliff Burton show with holograms of Masters-era Metallica. That will tour. And Metallica can live off the intellectual property rights. I'm pretty sure Marx predicted this in Das Kapital Volume III

I don’t see that happening. I certainly wouldn’t be going if they did that.

James has aged 10 years in 3 and unfortunately I think that’ll be the bump in the road that finally brings the Metallica wagon to a standstill. Look at pics of him from the 2017 tour - the picture of health. Whatever happened addiction-wise from then on, really took its toll (though he does look on the mend now).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I can see them doing less tours eventually with setlists of less strenuous songs, load/reload era, which would be interesting in itself. they don't owe us anything folks, I'm just grateful I discovered them at a young age, they certainly changed the course of my life, and I'm truly grateful for what they have given us all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

briany wrote: »
    Not even that the Stones' stuff isn't as challenging, or maybe rather as physical, but the Stones pack out their show with a host of fantastic backing musicians. This means that any one of the Stones can afford to have an off night and not have it be overly noticeable with others behind you to pick up the slack. Different story with Metallica, where it's really only those four guys. If age really starts to affect their playing ability, they have less ways to hide it.

Mick Jagger uses more energy in a show than all 4 Metallica members put together. And he's about 135 at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Mick Jagger uses more energy in a show than all 4 Metallica members put together. And he's about 135 at this stage.

finally someone said it! :pac:

They're gonna get flexible about how to earn money off the brand. Heard Ulrich once talking about what a gig actually is. Sounds to me like venture capital/tech people have been talking in their ear about future possibilities. They have something planned thats not a traditional gig. Ullrich kind of stopped short of elaborating. He wondered if Metallica even needed to be at the venue for it to be a show.

They're gonna get flexible about how to earn money off the brand. Heard Ulrich once talking about what a gig actually is. Sounds to me like venture capital/tech people have been talking in their ear about future possibilities. They have something planned thats not a traditional gig. Ullrich kind of stopped short of elaborating. He wondered if Metallica even needed to be at the venue for it to be a show.

i think you d be surprised how much it costs tallica inc to run, cant see them giving up gigging anytime soon, its their drug of choice

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i think you d be surprised how much it costs tallica inc to run, cant see them giving up gigging anytime soon, its their drug of choice

They can gig till their hearts are content. But they are gonna try to find a way to expand their earning potential.

Lets say Metallica goes onstage in Paris. Other venues are filled with paying fans in the same timezone. There are gonna be tech advances that can create a fan experience. Not just big screens. Something more three dimensional. When that day comes Metallica will be first line. They'll pioneer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

They can gig till their hearts are content. But they are gonna try to find a way to expand their earning potential.

Lets say Metallica goes onstage in Paris. Other venues are filled with paying fans in the same timezone. There are gonna be tech advances that can create a fan experience. Not just big screens. Something more three dimensional. When that day comes Metallica will be first line. They'll pioneer it.

There is nothing like in the flesh. No tech hocus pocus can replace that. A non-live music gig is not like watching the World Cup or All Ireland on TV. There is a rapport with the band that can’t be transmitted over the airwaves or across a wire.

metallica could long dead before that all happens, but who knows

Not something I'd be into either but then again if you had said to me when I got into Metallica as a spotty faced teenager back in '89 that I'd listen to Metallica playing with a symphony orchestra, I would have said the same thing. So things change over time so God knows what I'd be into seeing/doing in a few year's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    There is nothing like in the flesh. No tech hocus pocus can replace that. A non-live music gig is not like watching the World Cup or All Ireland on TV. There is a rapport with the band that can’t be transmitted over the airwaves or across a wire.

That's why the use of holograms will probably be limited to deceased musicians for the time being. The closest anyone will get to seeing Roy Orbison or Elvis perform is by witnessing a very clever light trick. But for me, personally, I think that old farmer in Pet Sematary was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Beef or Salmon

Well lads, i am going to get some signed stuff for my room, anyone here ever buy online/recommend anyone? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Well lads, i am going to get some signed stuff for my room, anyone here ever buy online/recommend anyone? Thanks.

Wait a few weeks and you'll be able to get some signed sheets of music on eBay! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Just Metallica or in general? A lot of bands sell signed cd's at release for hardly no extra cost, the bigger the band though the less likely it is to happen

Warner Ireland sell signed CD's, a lot of pish but they have the new Biffy Clyro signed CD for 12.99

https://thewarnermusicshop.com/collections/signed-albums/products/biffy-clyro-a-celebration-of-endings-signed-cd

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Beef or Salmon

Just Metallica 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Degag wrote: »
    Think they will hit 50 years definitely if health etc doesn't prove an issue.

Hope not. They should quit while on top of their game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Well that was early 90's :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Metallica or should everyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Metallica or should everyone ?

Metallica

• Registered Users Posts: 3 brckmrphy

Nothing Else Matter is the first song that I listened and uptill now I am listening it. One of the best song Metallica ever sang. Fade to black is good too on the page enter sandman and many more.

brckmrphy wrote: »
    Nothing Else Matter is the first song that I listened and uptill now I am listening it. One of the best song Metallica ever sang. Fade to black is good too on the page enter sandman and many more.

welcome to the tallica thread

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Metallica

That’s a relief, I’d hate to arrive at work in the morning and members of the general public were telling me to retire as my best days are behind me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,485 ✭✭✭✭klose

brckmrphy wrote: »

Metallicas ballads are a helluva gateway drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Registered Users Posts: 37,764 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Lithium93_ wrote: »

The last time James came from rehab we got St Anger

Let's hope its not a repeat this time round

• Advertisement

So interview or a live performance or something on the Howard Stern Show on Sirius XM coming up then?

Advertisement