Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

E-Cigarettes - The original thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Ok - I've read the thread and checked out the vapour store site - but am still a little unsure what to order. Basically I smoke 20 - 25 Silk Cut a day. Can you tell me exactly what I need to buy to set me up in a way that I can replace these and how many cartridges I need to get etc?
    I would really appreciate some advice and I want to try this.
    Also, which e-cig is best to buy - there's the joye 510 and 910 and a couple more, which makes it very confusing as you can only see the pictures on screen! And I've made mistakes buying mobile phones etc on-line and I don't want to mess this purchase up:D
    Thanks in advance:)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Opit

If size don't matter take eGo / Tornado (same thing).
    Tornado starter kit has slow wall charger (4-6 hours to charge one battery) but is very cheap (44.50 euro).
    If you want small one then take 510 / Titan (same thing). Manual battery is best for most people.
    With 510 you gonna need PCC case (pocket charger) because one fully charged battery can last only for about 2-4 hours. In this point will be cheaper if you get 510 PCC starter kit. You can get that kit here http://www.thebestshop.eu/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=114 (also Ireland).
    Get one spare battery and spare atomizer with 510 PCC kit.

eLiquid - I can't tell you which flavour will be good for you because you must try them yourself. 10ml bottle should last for about 4-5 days.

Empty carts - one for about 3-5 days it's ok. You have 5 of them for 2 euro so is not big deal. With 510 atomizer you can use 901 cart as well which I like more.

Atomizer - IMHO for heavy vaping should last for 3-5 weeks. After that is death or taste awful. Keep it wet then will work for longer.

DSE 901 is the best automatic e-cig. Is very popular as first e-cig because is very cheap. In Ireland that's 26.99 euro at the moment which is very good price for what you get. Battery and atomizer life is very similar to 510.

So you recommend the DSE 910. What is the liquid? Does that ot come in a cartridge? And, as regards flavour, I want something that resembles a cigarette, so I presume that is the tobacco flavour?
    Are you using these and how are you finding them? Do you feel the need to smoke cigarettes as well? Are you finding them a satisfying alternatively?
    Sorry for all the questions:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

Shazanne my habit was much the same as yours. After much arsing about buying various atomisers, batteries, carts etc. I've finally settled on this set up:

Joye eGo mega battery
    http://www.thevapourstore.ie/joye-ego/joye-ego-mega/xl-battery/prod_247.html

Joye eGo mega atomiser
    http://www.thevapourstore.ie/joye-ego/mega/xl-atomiser-for-joye-ego/prod_249.html

Mega eGo drip tip
    http://www.thevapourstore.ie/drip-tips-adapters/black-delrin-drip-tip-for-mega-ego/prod_258.html

For juice my favourite is RY4. Go for either the 12mg or 18mg strength. You won't get anything that tastes like a fag but soon enough you won't want anything that tastes like a fag.

Also, prefilled cartridges...I bought these when I started off first and wouldn't have bothered if I knew about direct dripping. If you go with the set up as above the cartridge will be blank so just direct drip your choice of e-liquid onto the atomiser (2 to 3 drops). It's a much better outcome than using carts and filler.

I'm just over the road from you by the way (Roscrea). Oh and since starting the e-cig thing I haven't smoked a fag nor do I want one. Also, if you go down the direct dripping route go with the manual battery as they're sealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Opit

No, I don't reccommend 901. It was my first ecig but a week after I bought manual Joye 510.
    You can get prefilled carts like http://www.thevapourstore.ie/pre-filled-cartridges/joye-510-mini-/25-zero-nicotine-cartridges-for-joye-510/prod_172.html but I reccommend empty ones plus eliquid. Why? Because is very simple to refill cartridge and you can vape tons of flavours.
    First try Malboro, Camel, Dunhill, Fluecured tobacco, Winstone, Hilton then you will see what you like. Is so many of them out there so is hard to say what is the best one.
    I'm using 901, 510, ego, stick V3 and some other ones as well.
    My list is (1 is the best one):
    1. eGo / Tornado
    2. 510 / Titan
    3. DSE 901
    4. Joye Stick V3
    I'm with ecig for over 8 months now :) and still in love. I didn't try any of analog cigarettes in this time!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

My recommendation would be to simply buy the Ego starter kit - http://www.thevapourstore.ie/joye-ego/joye-ego-starter-kit/prod_245.html and see if you like it. I would be like O'Prez in preferring the mega atomiser but the starter kit comes with 2 batteries and 2 atomizers and it is possible that one of either might not function properly so you have backup.

If money was no object I would get 2 mega batteries, 2 mega attomisers and 5 blank mega cartridges and some liquid. You can try the dripping too if you like but get some carts too to compare.

I'm just over the road from you by the way (Roscrea). Oh and since starting the e-cig thing I haven't smoked a fag nor do I want one. Also, if you go down the direct dripping route go with the manual battery as they're sealed.[/QUOTE]

Hi. Was interested to read that you are from Roscrea! So am I and, while I now live in Portlaoise, I still work in Roscrea every day!
    Thanks for your advice - I'll be looking out for someone e-cigging around the town now!!

Shazanne wrote: »
    Hi. Was interested to read that you are from Roscrea! So am I and, while I now live in Portlaoise, I still work in Roscrea every day!
    Thanks for your advice - I'll be looking out for someone e-cigging around the town now!!

Where do you work? I'll sit there wearing a fake nose and moustache whilst vaping away to see if you recognise me hahahaha.

I work in an office in the centre of town - can't say anymore on here of the world and its aunt will know who I am!! I checked out all the guys with moustaches in town today but none fitted the bill - then again, perhaps you're not a guy!!
    PM me is you wish to reveal your identity (how sinister is that!) - with the size of Roscrea we probably know each other anyway!
    And please give me an HONEST HONEST HONEST opinion of these e-fags before I take the plunge! Will I be able to achive my ambition and become a happy non-smoker if I use one? Or will I be constantly tempted to have a sneaky smoke? In other words - is that awful requirement of WILLPOWER needed:eek:

PM(s) sent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

They just had a vapefest in the UK. Heres a video of the day:-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Pesho

Ok - I've read the thread and checked out the vapour store site - but am still a little unsure what to order. Basically I smoke 20 - 25 Silk Cut a day. Can you tell me exactly what I need to buy to set me up in a way that I can replace these and how many cartridges I need to get etc?
    I would really appreciate some advice and I want to try this.
    Also, which e-cig is best to buy - there's the joye 510 and 910 and a couple more, which makes it very confusing as you can only see the pictures on screen! And I've made mistakes buying mobile phones etc on-line and I don't want to mess this purchase up:D
    Thanks in advance:)

Hi, I was the same myself to start off with, tried a few and think the best is Ego. I can offer you Ego set (750mh) battery with two atomizers and two batteries with 10 prefilled cartridges and bottle of Marlboro flavor. Battery last at least 1 day so you don't have to carry a charger with you and you have the spare one anyway. Set is 60 euro.PM me if you are interested.

Pesho wrote: »

Hi, I was the same myself to start off with, tried a few and think the best is Ego. I can offer you Ego set (750mh) battery with two atomizers and two batteries with 10 prefilled cartridges and bottle of Marlboro flavor. Battery last at least 1 day so you don't have to carry a charger with you and you have the spare one anyway. Set is 60 euro.PM me if you are interested.

Any harm to ask why you aren't using it anymore?

Any harm to ask why you aren't using it anymore?

No disrespect to Pesho but I would be wary of someone with one post selling this at a price that is hardly good value for a second hand kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Nonamigo

hello e-cigs smokers:)
    I'm just trying to give up smoking myself. and i got a couple of questions regarding e-cigs. So i'd really appreciate if someone experienced could answer them:
    1-in a scale from 1 to 10 how close is the taste of e-cigs to the real ones? (i smoke Marlboro light)
    2-do they have any smell at all?
    3-now i smoke 10-15 fags a day, how many cartridges or refills, whatever you call those things, will i need using e-cigs?
    thanks for your time and patience:)

Nonamigo wrote: »
    hello e-cigs smokers:)
    I'm just trying to give up smoking myself. and i got a couple of questions regarding e-cigs. So i'd really appreciate if someone experienced could answer them:
    1-in a scale from 1 to 10 how close is the taste of e-cigs to the real ones? (i smoke Marlboro light)
    2-do they have any smell at all?
    3-now i smoke 10-15 fags a day, how many cartridges or refills, whatever you call those things, will i need using e-cigs?
    thanks for your time and patience:)

1. 0 imo - it's nothing like the taste of cigarette smoke but you will change the score to 11 once you make the change. It's a better taste to smoke all round. Some liquids get closer but do not go into this thinking it will taste like smoking.

2. The generic Chinese liquids tend to have little or no aroma but a lot of the high quality strongly flavoured stuff does have some.

3. This is completely down to you. I see lots of "I smoke x amount a day" questions and I don't think it equates. In my case I was a 20 a day man and now I vape up to 3ml a day* on average (best guess). I'm a heavier vaper than I was a smoker I think but only at 18mg while others might vape less at 24/36mg strength.

* I think I am vaping less on the ego mega cartridges because there is less wastage.

Anyone come across and e-cig called Gamucci and, if so, what do you think of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

I buy from enjuice.co.uk ->

1. I Do not buy cigarette flavored liquids. Trust me, when you're off the cigs for a week you really start to notice how nasty they smell/taste. You do not want something that is close to this, you'll see.

My recommendation in this area (Enjuice): Apple, Blue Ridge Mountain (A very thick, sweet and flavourful smoke).

2. Do not bother with small vaporizers. Get a powerful device, the investment will pay off. I have a Silver Bullet from ivapour-elixir (http://www.ivapour-elixir.co.uk/). This is a big device, costs a bit up front but so far I saved well over 700 euros so, it pales in comparison. Do yourself the favor, I did buy the small ones for 50e, but its collecting dust now.

3. Get a low resistance 510 atomizer. Best, thickest smoke/vape in my experience. A bit of a juice hog, but the juice is relatively cheap and lasts longer than you think.

I would say I smoke about 20mL per month. I bought a 5 pack of atomizers and 10 cartridges so I can mix flavours. Also, I have a drip tip for home use, so while at the PC or telly I just drip a drop when needed.

Honestly - the cheap devices and the chinese liquid delivers bad smoke and tastes pretty bland or even bad depending on taste buds. A silver bullet or equivalent high power device with a good low resist atomizer and some quality liquid will cure your cigarette habit right up. I am almost willing to guarantee that considering I myself smoked a pack a day for 13 years, trying to quit numerous times. I say this as a newbie turned habitual vapor :) - I wish someone had given me a silver bullet or something for a day to trial, then I wouldnt have wasted money on lesser devices. The batteries are big and lasts a FULL day morning to night. The thinner batteries, will not, so if you are not near a place you can charge its not very handy.

A Jaunty eGo is also an excellent choice. Theres many more 510 devices out there with good batteries, but 510 is the current best atomizer in my opinion, especially LR. If you're wondering about 6v vaping dont bother, 3.7v with LR-510 is the same within a few milliwats of power.

My God noxqs - having read all that I am now more confused than ever - it reads like double dutch to me! All I want to know is what will be the best e-cig to replace the fags for me? But most people on here seem to be experts on e-cigs and for a novice like me all this information about atomisers, silver bullets, 510, vapours is frying my brain! Can somebody help me in plain, easy to understand terms?

Dont worry. I was just as confused as you! So many things to know.

Let me try to give a quick overview:

An ecig consists of 3 things:

1) Atomizer - this creates the vape. The power and make of the atomizer determines the amount of vape you will get. This is the most important part of the ecigarette.

2) Battery - this delivers the power (obviously). The amount of power, and the time it can deliver this determines how much vape you get and for how long you can expect it. Most devices are 3.7 volts. There are also 6 volt devices. The higher the voltage the more smoke, as it heasts up faster and more powerfully. But you can emulate 6volts using a low resistance device due to ohms laws, which I forgot at this very moment of course.

3) The cartridge, this holds your liquid and depending on the type you have pre-filled, self filled or drip caps.

So - thats the basics. You really want a device which creates a good vaping experience, so you need a good atomizer (510 model), a good battery which will last you a day, and a cartridge which will hold your juice in a way convenient for you.

Based off these choices I recommend a Jaunty eGo or a Silver Bullet. These are just model names for a 510 atomizer ontop of a good battery, nothing fancier than that. Theres many other models being basically the same, so you can shop around.

Im just trying to pass some knowledge around, as my experience is, that the better the vape you get and the more handy the device is, the more likely it is that you will not go back to fags. I am trying to warn against getting an automatic, small, cigarette sized deviced using prefilled carts. These are common and sold everywhere but has the following draw backs:

-> You have a small battery usually on a cheap, bad, atomizer. Thus, a bad vape.
    -> You dont have much in the way of taste options due to not being able to get replacement juice with different flavours, check out enjuice.co.uk. They have hundreds, literally.
    -> They dont last long and the carts that are prefilled are very uneconomical.

When you actually get the device, theres just three things to do. Assemble it, fill it with liquid in the cartridge, and press the button. Thats all there is to it, so it seems more advanced than it really is, you'll get the hang of it in no time.

Good luck!

PS: Automatic means it has a chip which registers when you are taking a drag off the cigarette. This is a terribly bad thing, as it doesnt work right and can heat up in your pocket due to movement triggering it. A button you press yourself, on demand, allows you to better control the smoke.

• Advertisement

Anyone come across and e-cig called Gamucci and, if so, what do you think of it?

Heres a review of a Gamucci. It's an entertaining watch but mainly because the e-cig is crap. Not well regarded Gamucci.

http://e-cig-reviews.com/gamucci%20micro.html

My God noxqs - having read all that I am now more confused than ever - it reads like double dutch to me! All I want to know is what will be the best e-cig to replace the fags for me? But most people on here seem to be experts on e-cigs and for a novice like me all this information about atomisers, silver bullets, 510, vapours is frying my brain! Can somebody help me in plain, easy to understand terms?

Simply buy an ego and go from there. Everyone will be different. Unlike noxqs I prefer tobacco flavours. I don't find they taste bad at all. The good ones are great but they don't taste like cigarette smoke. It's the fruit and other novelty stuff that I tired of after a while. But in simple terms buy an ego set, try it and then see how you go from there. You'll only get bogged down asking everyone here for their opinions. Most of us will say different things when it comes to liquids, preferred devices and so on. I've said it before. Whats 50 quid to find out if it works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

mewso wrote: »
    Simply buy an ego and go from there. Everyone will be different. Unlike noxqs I prefer tobacco flavours. I don't find they taste bad at all. The good ones are great but they don't taste like cigarette smoke. It's the fruit and other novelty stuff that I tired of after a while. But in simple terms buy an ego set, try it and then see how you go from there. You'll only get bogged down asking everyone here for their opinions. Most of us will say different things when it comes to liquids, preferred devices and so on. I've said it before. Whats 50 quid to find out if it works for you.

ENJuice Chocolate, Coffee and Caramel 32mg ftw tbh. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭thudd

@Shazanne, check out my post from only a month ago on this very thread! Was very very confused by everything and unsure what device and juice I should go for.

Ended up going for the eGo starter kit, with some tobacco flavour and some menthol juice from the Vapour Store. I went for this device as it had very positive reviews. And here's another one, it is great!

As mewso says, don't be fretting about all of this jargon you are hearing - LR 510, 901 adapter, KR808, 3.7v / 6v, SilverBullet, BSB, Chuck mod etc etc etc. You can deal with all that later.

What you need to know for now is this: The ego is a very good product, I bought one to substitute it for smoking cigarettes. And I haven't smoked one real cigarette since I've got it.

@noxqs, so what is your current setup at the moment? Silver Bullet with the Low Resistance 510? I've been hearing some good things about the SB, but I'm slightly put off by the price. Also, are you using the recomended 1 battery setting on 3.7 or are you going hardcore with the 2 cells on 6v?

I just think that it might be pointless getting another 3.7 device when I already have my eGo. Don't see how / why the SB could deliver better throat hit, vapour etc etc. Or am I mistaken?

Im using a SB with a LR-510. You can not use a LR atomizer with a 6v setup. Be careful with this :).

When it comes to vape amount, you may not get more. I am using a 2000mA 3.7v battery, which should be the same as the eGo. No change there. I just prefer the make and design of the SB and the handyness. The batteries are slightly bigger as well so lasts longer. You also have the option in the SR to go 6v vaping which I dont think the eGo supports.

I prefer the SB as its a solid aluminium tube, this thing will last a lifetime I am sure.

I think you might get a slightly higher voltage on the SB as the eGo is ever so slightly regulated to the best of my knowledge. A 3.7V battery fully charge will deliver 4.somthing volts when you first use it. I think the eGo trys to give a consistent 3.6/3.7. You will notice a slight difference using a normal or LR atty on each. In fact you might find the LR atty better on the eGo than the full 4ish volts you would get from a fully charged 3.7 battery in an SB.

The SB is probably the best mod out there in terms of durability. It's just a fantastic solid piece of work. Sadly I have somehow managed to break mine despite the fact that I do agree with noxqs that it should last for quite some time. It's so good I'm thinking of splashing out on another one.

Hmmm, interesting. Best bet is to try out the LR Atty on the eGo first to see what the craic is.

Also, have you heard about the 'Cisco Pulse Mod' yet mewso??

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modder-accessories-supplier-forum/87294-future-pv-pulse.html

Cisco and whoever else is involved are still developing it. Worth a read, its sounds ridiculous! Good ridiculous though :)

thudd wrote: »
    Also, have you heard about the 'Cisco Pulse Mod' yet mewso??

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modder-accessories-supplier-forum/87294-future-pv-pulse.html

Cisco and whoever else is involved are still developing it. Worth a read, its sounds ridiculous! Good ridiculous though :)

Sounds interesting. I'm particularly interested in the powered usb up to 8V which I assume will supply the necessary amps too. I have a 5V pass-through but no PC can supply the amps required so we don't really know how it works. It does but not optimally I suspect.

Keep an eye on the upcoming precious - http://theprecious.ro/ (site down at the moment). Taking pre-orders and sounds pretty cool too.

• Advertisement

Out of interest, how did you break your SB? I assume it can only be in the fitting for the 510? I can imagine if the atomizer is half unscrewed and you drop it on the floor exactly on the atomizer you may bend the fitting enough. This is pretty much the only likely scenario in my mind - and I make sure that never happens! *knock on wood*

Advertisement