Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For those about to chat...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭DenMan

Been very impressed by what I have been hearing from the new Sirenia album, The 13th Floor. Has anybody any info as to their tour dates for this year as I am sure they will be touring for it. Morten's page or the myspace link don't have anything up yet. Would love to see them live. Supposed to have been brill at last year's Masters of Rock Festival in the Czech Rep.

Going to Romania in August because of this:

http://www.last.fm/event/895245#lineup

:D:D:D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

damonjewel wrote: »

Or is it? I'd love to know are the Rock fans (metal fans in particular) that have absolutely no interest in playing whatsoever and couldn't give a stuff about beginning to try. Knowing a chord or two rules you out.
    I used to play piano, got my first 2 grades actually! But quit after I started secondary school. Tried to get back into it, but much like my attempts at learning guitar, I just didnt have the patience :(

So currently I have absolutely no musical talent whatsoever

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'd love to know are the Rock fans (metal fans in particular) that have absolutely no interest in playing whatsoever and couldn't give a stuff about beginning to try. Knowing a chord or two rules you out.
    I'd say that unless someone takes up an instrument as a child, it's very unlikely they'll pick one up as an adult and even if they do it's unlikely they'll master it to the degree that they would like. Jobs, relationships and other real-life things have a way of sucking up all your available free time :).
    DenMan wrote:
    Going to Romania in August because of this:

http://www.last.fm/event/895245#lineup
    That looks like a pretty sweet line-up (out of the bands I know anyway). Someone's mentioned Eluveitie on there as well but I've no idea what the context is. If they play I would highly recommend them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

F*@K?*G W0&K!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Lads, anyone know any good sites for buying CDs from? I usually get my stuff from either play.com or ebay, but ebay are a ripoff and play don't have some stuff I've been looking for lately.

Any ideas/alternatives?

MoominPapa wrote: »
    F*@K?*G W0&K!!!!!!
    Are you upset because your wok is broken or something?
    Lads, anyone know any good sites for buying CDs from? I usually get my stuff from either play.com or ebay, but ebay are a ripoff and play don't have some stuff I've been looking for lately.

Any ideas/alternatives?
    I use CDON (it's great for Scandinavian stuff) and EMP Online quite a lot. Often though, especially for more obscure stuff, your best bet is the band's own website or MySpace page.

malice_ wrote: »
    I use CDON (it's great for Scandinavian stuff) and EMP Online quite a lot. Often though, especially for more obscure stuff, your best bet is the band's own website or MySpace page.

Cheers! I used to use CDON a lot but I couldn't remember their name today (I could remember the CD part but could only think of cdwow :o). The thing about them is you need to buy loads of stuff at once because of their shipping costs.

Never used EMP before, will check it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Any ideas/alternatives?

I always use Ebay, but I search worldwide, with the euro strong against both Dollar and sterling I have found it very good value. I have never had any issues finding stuff and believe me I search for very obscure 70's prog.

Going to the bands website is usually a good idea as most bands will have a 'merchandise' section but you'll pay the full whack (at least it goes to the band! and not Richard Branson etc). Failing that I have found being part of a band fan-usergroup has helped. Just bang a post out to the user group and someone should be able to come up with at least a second hand copy for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

MoominPapa wrote: »
    F*@K?*G W0&K!!!!!!

Is that a statement or an order! :)

fecking snow more like, god its miserable oul slush

• Advertisement

I always use Ebay, but I search worldwide, with the euro strong against both Dollar and sterling I have found it very good value. I have never had any issues finding stuff and believe me I search for very obscure 70's prog.

Yeah I know what you mean, I've bought a good few bits and pieces from ebay in the last few months due to the exchange rate. You'll always find some great bargains but 90% of the time when you think you've found a little gem they try to rape you with ridiculous shipping costs. That's why I'm really getting sick of buying stuff from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Who's planning on moseying over to HELLFEST in France this year?

Line-up looks good.

Maybe we should organise a Boards Metalfest. The Hellfest and Rock City gigs look brilliant. I'd be up for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Heres a great way of working through your work related anger management issues - go home at 3 avoiding gridlock and build a snowman, then drink a bottle of half decent wine - works a treat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

+1 here for Hellfest. Let us definitely organise a boards thing.

HELLFEST

Bands confirmed so far

Manowar, Heaven & Hell Anthrax, Amon Amarth, Stratovarius, Sacred Reich, The Misfits, Destruction, Devil Driver, Epica, Gorgoroth, Enslaved, Napalm Death, Cathedral, Backyards Babies,
    Entombed, Kylesa, Aura Noir, Parkway Drive, Heaven Shall Burn, God
    Forbid, All Shall Perish, Suicide Silence, Mad Sin, The Business,
    Electric Wizard, Outlaw Order, Grand Magus, Torche, Orange Goblin,
    Wolves In The Throne Room, Melechesch, Holyhell, Gama Bomb, Misery
    Index, Whitechapel

And apparently these are too but yet to be confirmed:

Keep Of Kalessin, Taake, Moonsorrow, Deicide, Girlschool, Kataklysm, Motley Crue, Megadeth, Dream Theater, Nightwish, Down, WASP, Pestilence, Aborted.

Looks like we are all in agreement. :)

Hellfest looks fantastic and I hope Nightwish perform as I desperately want to see them live.

Passenger wrote: »
    HELLFEST

Bands confirmed so far

Manowar, Heaven & Hell, Anthrax, Amon Amarth, Stratovarius, Sacred Reich, The Misfits, Destruction, Devil Driver, Epica, Gorgoroth, Enslaved, Napalm Death, Cathedral, Backyards Babies,
    Entombed, Kylesa, Aura Noir, Parkway Drive, Heaven Shall Burn, God
    Forbid, All Shall Perish, Suicide Silence, Mad Sin, The Business,
    Electric Wizard, Outlaw Order, Grand Magus, Torche, Orange Goblin,
    Wolves In The Throne Room, Melechesch, Holyhell, Gama Bomb, Misery
    Index, Whitechapel

And apparently these are too but yet to be confirmed:

Keep Of Kalessin, Taake, Moonsorrow, Deicide, Girlschool, Kataklysm, Motley Crue, Megadeth, Dream Theater, Nightwish, Down, WASP, Pestilence, Aborted.

Nobody can deny that that is a simply brilliant line up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

likeabitch_400.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I just want to say that one of my favourite bands split up today. After Forever are no more...I'll be in mourning for about a day :(

• Advertisement

And twenty minutes ago I was only listening to Two Sides. Why would that happen I wonder? They have (had) a huge deal with Nuclear Blast Records. Doro Pesch performed with them too. A sad day indeed. :(

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

For those who havent seen, Blind Guardian featured in the game sacred 2, pretty decent song

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

What're yiz up to for the weekend? Any exciting metal-related shenanigans planned?

What're yiz up to for the weekend? Any exciting metal-related shenanigans planned?
    The strings on a couple of my guitars need changing. If I get really bored I might get around to doing that, otherwise it's like doing laundry. I avoid it until there's no choice but to get it done :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

malice_ wrote: »
    The strings on a couple of my guitars need changing. If I get really bored I might get around to doing that, otherwise it's like doing laundry. I avoid it until there's no choice but to get it done :).

You wild and crazy thing! :P

You wild and crazy thing! :P

Hey Metalhead's clothes need washing too y'know. :D

Malice_ wrote: »
    The strings on a couple of my guitars need changing.

What kind of guitars you got Malice??

Damn right we need our clothes washed every so often! As it turns out I'm off to the pub shortly to divide my attention between the rugby and the Portsmouth v Liverpool game.
    Passenger wrote:
    What kind of guitars you got Malice??
    Wooden ones ;).

Seriously though, I have the following:
    • Yamaha Spanish Acoustic
    • Mitchell Steel Stringed Acoustic
    • Squier Precision 4 String Bass
    • Peavey Predator (Dodgy 7 string guitar)
    • Fender Deluxe American Series Strat
    • Ibanez K7
    • Ibanez K5
    I spend most of my time playing the last two. I fell in love with the sonic possibilities of 5 string basses and 7 string guitars a few years ago so I made sure to get myself one of each :).

There are pics buried in the Instruments forum somewhere.

Nice, big KoRn fan though I see. :D

Nice, big KoRn fan though I see. :D
    The funny thing is, I'm not really much of a Korn fan. Sure I have a bunch of their albums but I wouldn't go out of my way to see them in concert or anything like that.

I happened to play a K7 a couple of years ago courtesy of Mr. Hungus when I was about to take the plunge on another guitar and I loved it so it was a no-brainer when one became available. The K5 was purely a GAS-attack. I had been giving the idea of picking up a 5 string bass some serious thought and when I saw the K5 on Ishibashi I had to pick it up. Rent and electricity bills be damned! :).

• Advertisement

Just to let everyone know that the official Tristania website will be up and running tomorrow (February 16). Can't wait.

http://www.tristania.com/

Advertisement