Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oiling up the Tape Players out in Montrose.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

:confused:

Right Ted:rolleyes:

Well well , wonder what nonentities RTE will foist on us over the Xmas 2008 and New Year '09

I hear Jackson and Lorcan Murray are in strict training and the geezer from the archives with the Doob accent, Harry Bradshaw is on overtime.

All to let the megabucked 'stars' have a nice long break over Xmas I suppose.

Public service radio me left big toe!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

That time of the year again FlutterinBantam eh. ;)

So Pat Kenny et al will be busy recording their xmas and new year shows in advance again. Lets hope that nothing bad happens between now and the transmission dates. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kenny is the only heavyweigbht who will be in the studio (live) between Xmas and New years day unless they are doing things differently this time.

For two hours???

usually only lasts eine stunde around this time of the year.

As long as we don't have two hours of Collins I wouldn't be too concerned, there's only so much blandness I can endure:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭earwicker

It just wouldn't be Christmas without the Barry's Tea ad...and this thread. I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

It is the time to download the podcasts of the raido shows and listen to those instead :rolleyes:

God knows what goons they will dig from the bowels to make sure the A listers keep pace with the teachers in respect of holidays.

I'd say we will get a good dose of McGuirk, and that won't be too bad.

Milo Dungan no doubt will be wheeled out.

heh heh... spot on again Flutther me auld cock!!!

Dungan standing in for Marsie next Sat and Sun... we are up and running....:P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

God knows what goons they will dig from the bowels to make sure the A listers keep pace with the teachers in respect of holidays.

I'd say we will get a good dose of McGuirk, and that won't be too bad.

Milo Dungan no doubt will be wheeled out.
    heh heh... spot on again Flutther me auld cock!!!

Dungan standing in for Marsie next Sat and Sun... we are up and running....tongue.gif

How strange, they say taking to yourself is the first sign , replying to your to youself in a forum without going the usual dual account route must be even more worrying.;)

• Advertisement

Joe Duffy already de-mob happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

mike65 wrote: »

Aye. I lasted 5 seconds before tuning out again.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

mike65 wrote: »

Joe Duffy must have gathered the gang together over some imported scampi in a basket beside the fireside in The Coast Bar in Skerries put his hand on the knee of his production team and assured them confidently "Stand down troops; my ol' battle ready friends. Put the headsets down and the feet up. I'll get the lads in to tidy up before christmas".

All that said...I enjoyed it today. It may me laugh: occasionally. It held my attention so much so I was a little late for the usual procession of cartwheels and back flips that lead up to the JK ensemble/ Aunty/ Moncrief mix-down. It also made me aware of the instances of the genuine talent that some of the particepants show. I don't want to admit it. I don't like admitting it. But it made sense to me today. It cheered me up a little just when I needed it. And feck it...that's not a bad thing. It's not my medicine usually but it hit the spot today.

As for other forth-coming events, re-runs, stand-ins etc.
    If Miles Dungan goes anywhere the Fcuking Hugh Lane Gallery I'll march down there myself and bash his head about with a tightly rolled up copy of New Yorker.

The Muppet wrote: »
    How strange, they say taking to yourself is the first sign , replying to your to youself in a forum without going the usual dual account route must be even more worrying.;)

Doesn't worry me Mupser, don't let it get to ya!!!

Have a good day now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Well well , wonder what nonentities RTE will foist on us over the Xmas 2008 and New Year '09

I hear Jackson and Lorcan Murray are in strict training and the geezer from the archives with the Doob accent, Harry Bradshaw is on overtime.

All to let the megabucked 'stars' have a nice long break over Xmas I suppose.

Public service radio me left big toe!!!

Look! you make the same mistake time after time - comparing these stars to "ordinary people" or Teachers.

Surely you can't expect Fatt Boy/Dufficer/Plank/et all to actually work over the holiday period ?

These are serious players my friend and paid accordingly - by the other fatt cats out in Montrose.

All a cosy little cub my friend - learn to live with it.......

I expect, as receivers of fat salaries payed for by the public, of on average over 400k pa that they would actually try to earn that.

Don't give me bulldust about advertising revenue Fulton, a small dog barking could attract ad. revenue to RTE given the paucity of the "competition" and the footprint they have.

You are dead right in so far as you say it's a cosy club, where the brass only have to go to the Govt. for a hike in the license fee to make ends meet.

Who are these presenters going to go to????

Nobody in their right mind would pay them what they get from RTE.

Cannot figure that conundrum out.

jaysus...2 hours of Collins 1100-1300 today.

Two hours of boring banality...surely they can do better than that.

Then fcukin Cahill and two other liggers on at three o'clock on the Great Wall in the rainstorm, which I heard at least three times before this.

fcukers are giving us the fingers folks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

I was in a loaner car with no cd player today and I though Ronan Collins was a godsend to be honest. Elvis, The Beatles, Marianne Faithful, Johnny Cash. All quite welcome, and more in tune with my tastes than the wacky , crazy alternatives on 2fm, today fm or any of the others. Theres only so much Katie Perry and X-factor contestants I can handle in a day.

Then again, I wouldn't criticise them just for doing what they do, as I'm fully aware that they don't structure their shows simply to píss me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Who are these presenters going to go to????
    Obviously they think that they'll go somewhere as Gaybo is still the recipient of a 150K a year golden-handcuffs deal so long as he doesn't work for anyone else.

Everytime I drive by RTE I think that they've surrounded themselves with a structure called 'The Great Wall of Montrose' into which economic realities cannot intrude.

La-la land doesn't even begin to describe it. How this monstrous quangoid of an organisation will survive into the future is beyond my comprehension.

I've been waking at a fairly respectable hour (all things considered), and tis pitiful what RTE offer. Nothing happening at all today (Maxi hell for 3.5 hours) and then sod all later in the morning.

By comparison its been almost business as usual on BBC radio 4 (the only "tweak" is the use of guest editors) while fivelive have altered the output - no topical phone ins for example, but what they did broadcast (the fivelive Breakfast 7-10) still knocked the stale turkey stuffing out of anything the locals come up with.

Thankfully all back to normal tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement

Absolutely.. Maxi till 0900, then Tubridy with a dose of recordings till 1100, then boring,banality till 1300 and a Mooney recording till 1700(don't know what shíte started at 1330 Flutt hit for the golf course)

It's nothing short of a fcuking disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

BBC Radio 1, by comparison, had 12 hours of Chris Moyles repeats of the last 5 years!

Even though it was a bank holiday, today was really poor by RTÉ, I'd agree there. But Maxi has built up quite a bit of time off in lieu there. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Ah sure but the old crone of Montrose must be near retirement?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Can some one tell me again what is retirement age in Montrose?

Jimmy Magee?
    Larry Gogan?
    Gay Byrne?
    Sean (not so) Óg O'Ceallachain?
    Michael O'Muircheartaigh?

In saying that, great broadcasters, and good to see them still doing what they love, but if you think Maxi is for the old folks home, think again!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

DMC wrote: »
    BBC Radio 1, by comparison, had 12 hours of Chris Moyles repeats of the last 5 years!

And they even specifically admitted on the 'live' links between highlights that they were recorded too.

Due to high pressure I was able to get Spin in stereo by about Ballymena (!!) so listened to that on the way back from the North instead. Had actually got it in stereo with RDS on the road between Portrush and Coleraine earlier; just a *tad* outside their service area ;)

As they pack away the tapes for another year and Joe Jackson,Milo Dungan,Andy O mahony, Tommie McGuirk, Two hour Collins et al get a bit of a break after the break what did it throw up.

Obviously Kenny is the alpha male, still off on hols.
    Trick now seems to be to bring in some goon to play the recordings like Tubbs of Jaaaaao Duffy.

Gaza situation caught them out with the truncated news coverage, by the way where's Crowley?? is he not in the Middle East anymore.

On the good side, heard a new newsreader AM MCNerney has promise good diction without the South Dublin twang eg U Ass for US and pronouncing 'e' as 'a'.The Flutt would take the pole to her, if I am allowed to say that.

Till next year.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

As they pack away the tapes for another year and Joe Jackson,Milo Dungan,Andy O mahony, Tommie McGuirk, Two hour Collins et al get a bit of a break after the break what did it throw up.

Obviously Kenny is the alpha male, still off on hols.
    Trick now seems to be to bring in some goon to play the recordings like Tubbs of Jaaaaao Duffy.

Gaza situation caught them out with the truncated news coverage, by the way where's Crowley?? is he not in the Middle East anymore.

On the good side, heard a new newsreader AM MCNerney has promise good diction without the South Dublin twang eg U Ass for US and pronouncing 'e' as 'a'.The Flutt would take the pole to her, if I am allowed to say that.

Till next year.;)

Is this written in a code of some sort?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

Good to hear Sean O'Rourke with a programme that dealt with other issues (Beverly Cooper Flynn -what a nerve) apart from the Middle East.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The gentiles retreat. Pity there wasn't a bit of Rachael English or Eoin Sweeney over the Chrimbo. Especially Sweeney...he needs the flying hours.

Biggest disappointment? Martin O'Neill's talk ruined by The Duff. I was looking forward to it and had prepared well for tuning in. Only to be left thumping the dashboard as I passed through Abbeyliex with gritted teeth. He was atrocious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

humberklog wrote: »
    The gentiles retreat. Pity there wasn't a bit of Rachael English or Eoin Sweeney over the Chrimbo. Especially Sweeney...he needs the flying hours.

Biggest disappointment? Martin O'Neill's talk ruined by The Duff. I was looking forward to it and had prepared well for tuning in. Only to be left thumping the dashboard as I passed through Abbeyliex with gritted teeth. He was atrocious.

Heard that myself - thought Joe's contribution not too bad - seeing as it seemed to only consist of him saying "you are listening to.... with.... " at five-minute intervals - is that what you meant?

Advertisement