Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oiling up the Tape Players out in Montrose.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

SOR off again after being off about 3 weeks ago, though keelin Shanley does a top job covering for him. JM off too, after being off for a week in late February.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭SPDUB

fg1406 wrote: »
    SOR off again after being off about 3 weeks ago, though keelin Shanley does a top job covering for him. JM off too, after being off for a week in late February.

SOR was only off on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Brendan O'Carroll filled in for Marion at the weekend. He really got into the spirit of the show; he waxed lyrical about his film and brought in a cronie to aid him to fill in the gaps between newspaper reviews and psuedo current affairs analysis famed by Finuncan and friends.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Paddy Constable

Brendan O'Carroll filled in for Marion at the weekend. He really got into the spirit of the show; he waxed lyrical about his film and brought in a cronie to aid him to fill in the gaps between newspaper reviews and psuedo current affairs analysis famed by Finuncan and friends.

Bit of a shaky start to the Sunday show but he got better...kept trying to push his own agenda on the relationship between the Oireachtas and the self help guys like Phoenix.

Brilliant gatecrash by Conor Pope who ruffled a lot of feathers by managing to get up everybodys nose in a classic 5 minute rant.

That Prone woman waited in the wings and "went for him" towards the end of the prog..after which the whole thing fizzled out.

Rabbitte and that solicitor chappie Gerald Keane had a good little set too as well !

Entertaining anyways !

Sunday last's Miriam Meets got a repeat play at 10PM. I am sure that she will spend the royalty's wisely :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,052 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Came across this legendary thread by accident, and felt the need to give it a bump.

So, will RTE shut down for Xmas and NY and who will man/ woman the mics.

Joe Jackson seems to be out of favour.

Always a great way of sorting out the A listers from the 'bench'

A listers will be on the 'Lazy Boys' from the 23rd till 06/16.

Uhh mm nice one if you can get it.

Wonder who we will get the two hours from, from 0900 -1100 now that poor John is gone.

Not Tubs I'd say.

Collins is a shoo in for a dose of blandness up to 1300 before a truncated News at One followed by a documentary.

Hope there isn't any big breaking news story, like a tsunami or sommit!!

Wonder who we will get the two hours from, from 0900 -1100 now that poor John is gone.
    !

Today usually moves to a 9AM start and Ronan from 11-1PM. Expect lots of Keela Shanley.

Today usually moves to a 9AM start and Ronan from 11-1PM. Expect lots of Keela Shanley.

Uhhhhhhmmmm beg to differ there Losser,poor John usually went 0900-1100, God help us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

Who is going to read every single news bulletin over the Christmas period, now that Michael Murphy is no longer an option?

• Advertisement

Who is going to read every single news bulletin over the Christmas period, now that Michael Murphy is no longer an option?

That's indeed a conundrum,Home.

The lad with the ginger toothbrush mustache will get a fairly good airing I'd say.

Can't think of his name right now

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Just a mention for an institution of a program that's being running annually on Radio 1 on Christmas Eve since I was a child (and longer): Santa letters with a live link up to the North Pole.
    In my childhood this was split into two shows with the second one called Santa sets out from the North Pole. There was always some crisis which meant it was touch and go as to whether Santa would get to make his deliveries but inevitable these were resolved in the (saint) nick of time!

I've dipped into it off and on nostalgically most years and Santa sounds the same although his helpers have changed over the years. Give it a listen this Thursday afternoon to see if it gives you that nostalgic fuzzy feeling.

I'm sure its recorded in advance but no doubt brings joy to the current generation of kids just as it did when we were their age.

I think Fran Dempsey who played fortycoats on tv all those years ago has a role in this programme. Does anyone else tune in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I see Pat Kenny will be on duty all next week bar Jan 1st.

I'm assuming it'll be repeats and jingle bells music on RTE radio

thejuggler wrote: »
    Just a mention for an institution of a program that's being running annually on Radio 1 on Christmas Eve since I was a child (and longer): Santa letters with a live link up to the North Pole.
    In my childhood this was split into two shows with the second one called Santa sets out from the North Pole. There was always some crisis which meant it was touch and go as to whether Santa would get to make his deliveries but inevitable these were resolved in the (saint) nick of time!

I've dipped into it off and on nostalgically most years and Santa sounds the same although his helpers have changed over the years. Give it a listen this Thursday afternoon to see if it gives you that nostalgic fuzzy feeling.

I'm sure its recorded in advance but no doubt brings joy to the current generation of kids just as it did when we were their age.

I think Fran Dempsey who played fortycoats on tv all those years ago has a role in this programme. Does anyone else tune in?

Yes always tune in, great radio, kids love it

Long may it last.

I see Pat Kenny will be on duty all next week bar Jan 1st.

I'm assuming it'll be repeats and jingle bells music on RTE radio

Poor Pat is feeling the harsh winds of the private sector.

Will keep an eye on BBC R4 as well .

Classic thread this, glad I found it.

Uhhmmmm.

Expect lots of Conor Brophy over the 'empty period'.

Just sayin'

thejuggler wrote: »

I used to love this as well. Mum would have it on and between it and the service from St. Patrick's Cathedral it made Christmas Eve day in our house. It stuck rigidly to it's format over the years, possibly too rigid, and in the end it sounded quite dated. It's the better for being in the middle of Derek Mooney's show and yeah, I still enjoyed it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Last nite on the TV there's Michael D and Sabine smiling at the camera reminiscing about Christmas. Turn on the radio this morning, expecting to hear some Christmas tunes, and there's the same Michael D and Sabine again with the same stories about Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Well what do you think???

Do you think it's ok to turn on the tape recorders for two weeks around Xmas and one week around every Bank Holiday.

They get paid well enough surely.
    If they left them on all year perhaps the programmes would improve

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭flutered

Poor Pat is feeling the harsh winds of the private sector.

Will keep an eye on BBC R4 as well .

Classic thread this, glad I found it.

which also put paid to the old, if they dont get x amount yearly they will leave for foregin shores

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Last nite on the TV there's Michael D and Sabine smiling at the camera reminiscing about Christmas. Turn on the radio this morning, expecting to hear some Christmas tunes, and there's the same Michael D and Sabine again with the same stories about Christmas.

Just like how the BBC repeated their Carols from Kings this morning also .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 266 ✭✭Clive Bisquette

Conor Brophy ? Is he the Dude who says MUNNY for money and GUVVERMENT for Government and the like ...sounds like a South C.Dub resident but then that is nowt unusual in the hallowed halls of Montrose.?

Conor Brophy ? Is he the Dude who says MUNNY for money and GUVVERMENT for Government and the like ...sounds like a South C.Dub resident but then that is nowt unusual in the hallowed halls of Montrose.?

Correct and right Clive, up there with Colm O'Mongāin in that field.

Next week should be interesting in the pecking order stakes out in Montrose.

R4 had Sarah Montague and Mishal Husain going on Today, today.

We shall see

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

That's a real bugbear of Gay Byrne, I've heard him give out about it on many occasions. If you're employed in a on air capacity on a national radio station you have to be able to speak properly, no mumbling or use of slang etc, be professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Correct and right Clive, up there with Colm O'Mongāin in that field.

Next week should be interesting in the pecking order stakes out in Montrose.

R4 had Sarah Montague and Mishal Husain going on Today, today.

We shall see

Stick with the Beeb until the new year Bren.

Usual fare on Radio One for the next week... News reviews, vanity projects, rent a mouths trying to be funny on news quizzes etc etc... Not good for the blood pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Red Fred

I heard Mary Wilson the other day say that John Murray will be presenting Drivetime two evenings next week. An odd choice in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Red Fred wrote: »
    I heard Mary Wilson the other day say that John Murray will be presenting Drivetime two evenings next week. An odd choice in my opinion.

It's a better fit for him than either of his other two recent RTE roles. The "light entertainment" 9am-10am slot, especially his attempts at comedy, were dreadful. And now RTE have moved him to sport, which it is pretty obvious he has absolutely no interest in at all.

But he's good at the serious stuff, I heard him in for Marian Finucane before and he was good. tbh, if they replaced Mary Wilson with John Murray permanently I wouldnt be upset.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Stick with the Beeb until the new year Bren.

Usual fare on Radio One for the next week... News reviews, vanity projects, rent a mouths trying to be funny on news quizzes etc etc... Not good for the blood pressure.

Nailed that one Padd...Beeb R4 Today in full swing Monday.

RTE1 have Lillian playing music till 0900 :eek:

Might have to hit the Chemists for a lock of tranquillisers .:eek::eek:

In fairness excellent prog between 0900 - 1100 with the Dufficer going back over the celebs who died during the year. Moved along at a nice pace and apart from Justine McCarthy guests were good.Pre recorded I'm sure but that kind of stuff is suitable ,in my opinion.

Then we get Ronān on 1100-1300 congratulating himself that he and the continuity staff were actually in Montrose, actually working!!!

Yeah Ronān you and every shop assistant in the country, transport people, guards,emergency services,cinemas theatres,and many more- get over yourself man.

Needless to say off button was thumped quanto rapido.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I have made it my New Year's resolution to get through one bank holiday without stumbling upon Jackie Hurley and her bloody sports quiz:mad::mad:

John Murray still trying to wedge himself into a round hole by interviewing Christy Moore about Ewan McColl did nothing to cheer anyone up...

It's going to be a long week until normal service resumes on the 4th. no doubt about that!

Advertisement