Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Centre to Tallaght

• 13-06-2008 4:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Quickest way to get to to old Tallaght village using public transport from the city centre?

Luas and walk? Or bus?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

ian_m wrote: »
    Quickest way to get to to old Tallaght village using public transport from the city centre?

Luas and walk? Or bus?

Depends on the time of day really. I live in the old village and if you get the bus at the right time it's only 15/20 minutes but if you get it at the wrong time it's over an hour.

If it's rush hour then the luas is your best bet no question, but if it is off hour then the bus is the better bet especially since they go right through the old village.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭hayser

Luas and walk? Or bus?

Whereabouts in Tallaght Village are you going? The 77 & 77A go through it as does the 49 and the 50 goes near it. If you're getting the Luas give yourself at least 20 minutes to walk to Tallaght Village if you're unsure of where you're going although there are a couple of shortcuts but I'd need to know the general direction you'd be heading in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Foxes Covert

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭hayser

Foxes Covert

I forgot to say the 65 & 65b go by there aswell. Is Foxes Covert the pub near Molloys? If you have enough time I'd get the bus if I were you as they will leave you right outside. If you decide to get the Luas, go to the last stop at the Square. When you get off the Luas turn right and walk straight for five minutes past the black fence of the car park of the Square. Take the 1st turn right and keep following the black fence til you see McDonalds. Cross the road to the McDonalds and go up the walkway between McDonalds and the Garda station. When you come out the other side of the walkway walk across the road, pass the Abberly hotel and walk straight to the end of the road and cross the road. Turn right and then left at the traffic lights. Walk for about 2 minutes and you'll see it across the road from the church. As I said in my previous post allow 20 minutes to walk there. It would probably only take ten minutes but allow for 20 just in case you take a wrong turn. It's a nice enough pub. Have fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 BetsyGray

Can anyone recommend a good place to eat in Tallaght? Something a bit more sophisticated is what I'm looking for.

thanks

• Advertisement

• Blue Bar does good food, last time I ate in it. Dunno when they stop serving food though....

Also might be a few decent resteraunts in the newer quarters (just off the Luas stop). Have a mosey around.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mucri

would you recommend a good eat out in Jobstown ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Mucri wrote: »
    would you recommend a good eat out in Jobstown

A restaurant? There aren't any.

In that area, you're really best off sticking to Tallaght village or the area around the square for eats.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mucria

thanks for your opinion :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

Restaurant in Jobstown!?!

They only do take away up there.

• Advertisement

Bren1609 wrote: »

chinese take away ? :) Bren which area do you live in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Latino Restaurant on Belgard square is really nice. would be a regular spot I go to, food is really good and staff are excellent. It's a family run place and they rfeally take pride in it

Thanks for the heads up onkle...Im gonna be a new comer in the area soon just getting some info...How's the Jobstown area ?

Jobstown? Think a rough area of Beirut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Onkle wrote: »
    Jobstown? Think a rough area of Beirut

That is a disgusting accusation and I insist that you withdraw it

Beirut has done nothing to have such comparisons heaped upon it

OP, it is a 5 minute walk from the Luas stop to Tallaght village and not 20 minutes. Straight line walking, there in 5. I would recommend the Luas, as you can nearly always count on a 30-35 min journey regardless of traffic. This is from Heuston. From further in towards the IFSC you are looking at 50 min journey.

For eating, you are better off staying around the square.
    Latino, very good as stated. Tamara, nice thai/aasian restaurant. Cactus Jacks. Alhamra arabian. These are all at the Belgard Square complex. Captain America's is across the Quad.

• Bren1609 wrote: »

Actually, the Fortunestown Inn in Jobstown has a lovely carvery.....

There are two excellent Chinese takeaways in the immediate vicinity as well.

As for the other remarks, I've lived in this area for 25 years, and they are just .... ignorant generalisations.

If you bump into the toerags that stole my car, my tools, my bike and on another occasion the engine from my car... yes the feckin engine could you tell them I'd like mt stuff back?. Oh and the ones who broke my van window by firing a brick at it when I was driving through. I only lived in the area for 2 years and I'm glad to be out of the sh1thole.

Onkle wrote: »
    If you bump into the toerags that stole my car, my tools, my bike and on another occasion the engine from my car... yes the feckin engine could you tell them I'd like mt stuff back?. Oh and the ones who broke my van window by firing a brick at it when I was driving through. I only lived in the area for 2 years and I'm glad to be out of the sh1thole.

Onkle...what can I say...well, yes

I hope to last longer :D

• Onkle wrote: »

And that's representative of the whole area and everyone living there, is it? As I've said - 25 years and counting - not one single bad incident, break in, theft or otherwise. Lots of good experiences. But you never hear about those, do you? Maybe you're just unlucky!

I hate attitudes like yours Onkle, - tar a whole area and the people within it with the same brush .... your car, bike, engine.... etc all those incidents could have happened in any area of Dublin, not just Jobstown.

I hate attitudes like yours Onkle, - tar a whole area and the people within it with the same brush .... your car, bike, engine.... etc all those incidents could have happened in any area of Dublin, not just Jobstown.

Saying it could have happened anywhere in Dublin doesn't change the fact that they actually happened in Jobstown. The place is also filthy. IMO there are people there that have no respect for themselves or the area they live in. I lived there for 2 years and named 4 seperate incidents that I can name off the top of my head.

I live in Clondalkin now and it's not the nicest area but my car is left alone and I've had nothing stolen. I have friends that live in Jobstown and they would be the first to say it's a dump.

You say you've lived there for 25 years? Would that mean you've lived there your entire life? If so try living somewhere else and see how Jobstown compares when you go back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Guys, try and keep the thread on topic, it's a discussion on public transport to Tallaght Village.

No more arguing about Jobstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭VIS VIRES

Op you're better off getting a bus (65 77 65b) because they all virtually stop outside the Foxes Covert, it will save you a 15 minute walk from the luas....

• Onkle wrote: »
    You say you've lived there for 25 years? Would that mean you've lived there your entire life? If so try living somewhere else and see how Jobstown compares when you go back.

I'm coming up to 40 years old, have lived both Northside, Southside and abroad.... 25 years in total here.

To the OP, your best option to get to Tallaght Village is by Bus, the routes have already been mentioned. - the Luas is not the most convenient option at all for Tallaght Village.

Advertisement