Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice on Divorce \ Mortgage

• 23-02-2015 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello,
    I am hoping to get advice on my situation regarding a mortgage that I share with my ex partner.

In 2006 my then boyfriend and I got a mortgage for a house in Ireland (we are both Irish vitizens). We were later married in Australia. We separated over two years ago and the divorce was finalised early 2014.

I currently live in Australia with my two Children.

The house in Ireland has been being rented for the last five years, however the rent payments are falling short of the mortgage repayments.

My ex partner is unwilling to pay child support, let alone mortgage repayments. I have spoken with the bank about my options however they don't seem to be offering any possible solutions. I explained to them that I would be willing to take the mortgage on my own however they said this was not possible.

I am wondering where I stand in the law as far as options moving forward as my ex-partner is completely unwilling to discuss the property, let alone make any payments or agree on a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Sorry to be so blunt but you need proper legal advice. There isn't a chance the bank is going to let anyone off the hook, they need as many people as possible to chase esp. if one party is out of the country.

I'm surprised this issue not dealt with in the divorce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I agree that you need solid legal advice.

Where is your ex at the moment? Do you plan to come back from Australia with the children and move into the house?

I think you need to separate child support away from the house issue, its just not relevant - the bank wont care whether he is keeping up with his child support payments.

What is it that you want to do to "move forward" - sell the house or move into the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Hire a solicitor

Seriously

Advertisement