Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

House alarm - what to do

Options
  • 07-11-2014 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Need some information/advise on alarms. We have an Aritech cs350 alarm that is 20 years old, with box in the hotpress. I am told this is not allowed anymore and it cannot be certified. Insurance companies will not pay out in the event of a break-in.Getting new windows and want to put sensors on them. But some companies are saying that we should go with a new alarm.

Currently each window has a shock sensor but companies tell me now that they are not worth a damn. I would be better off with magnetic open/close sensors.
    These sensors seem to be about €40-50 each. I have 10 windows.

Not sure if we should be going wired or wireless. We are looking at around €1,000 it would seem. We would like to have it monitored to phonewatch or something similar but in reality an expense we don't need. We could set up to allow txt/notifications.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Seq uence

A retrofit of an existing alarm is acceptable.
    There are wany too many individuals in this industry only interested in full fresh instalations. This is no a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Seq uence

A retrofit of an existing alarm is acceptable.
    There are wany too many individuals in this industry only interested in full fresh instalations. This is not a must.
    Upgrade your existing panel etc and you will also have the ability to add wireless as well.
    Beware of anyone trying to sell you text notifications by way of your home phone line. This service is to be withdrawn shortly.
    Look for IP monitoring that is the way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

The CS350 is still a perfectly serviceable alarm controller. You could upgrade the sensors and even go wireless with a wireless receiver. I think you are been fed a load of guff regarding the age of the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

You'd be mad to add a wireless receiver and wireless sensors to a 350. It wouldn't be much more to install a new panel with integrated wireless and you'd be getting a brand new alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

This might be of interest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I'd agreed with Fred. Spending good money trying to add wireless to such an old panel is a waste. For a few quid more you will get a decent new panel with wireless integrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

Need some information/advise on alarms. We have an Aritech cs350 alarm that is 20 years old, with box in the hotpress. I am told this is not allowed anymore and it cannot be certified. Insurance companies will not pay out in the event of a break-in.Getting new windows and want to put sensors on them. But some companies are saying that we should go with a new alarm.

Currently each window has a shock sensor but companies tell me now that they are not worth a damn. I would be better off with magnetic open/close sensors.
    These sensors seem to be about €40-50 each. I have 10 windows.

Not sure if we should be going wired or wireless. We are looking at around €1,000 it would seem. We would like to have it monitored to phonewatch or something similar but in reality an expense we don't need. We could set up to allow txt/notifications.

If the original installation is done prior to May 2002 then the control panel can be installed there and certified to the EN50131 standard.
    Some company's will upgrade your system back into the hotpress if you dont want the system moved.
    I would recommend moving the system out of the hotpress.
    If I had a choice of shock sensors or contact on the windows then I would choose the shocks. With just contact an would be intruder can gain entry through your windows without setting off the alarm by not opening the window. This can be done by taking out the glass or smashing it to gain entry.
    If an installer told me that shock sensors where not worth a damn I would look elsewhere.
    If there is cable going to your windows then just use then rather than add wire free. I would only advise upgrading the system if you needed extra features or wire free devices added. Going down the road of adding wire free devices to old technology is a waste of money.
    If you did want the system monitored by a monitoring station then it would need to give a verified alarm signal to them, this system does not.
    You could add a voice dialer to the system if you want to self monitor the alarm yourself tho.

Advertisement