Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Anyone any experience replacing a broken screen?

Broke mine back in sept or Oct and just upgraded to the note3 rather than pay the price for a new screen at the time.

Is it still mad stupid Money?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

rogieop wrote: »
    yep, phone crashes a lot, sometimes unable to unlock which results in having to reboot....
    i got an update to kitkat on 3 last night..... im having a few problems with it though! iv just powered the phone off taken out the battery left it for a few min and booted it up again and all seems good for now.........
    For what its worth, after the first day or so i havent had any problems whatsoever with the update...

Wha? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

i got an update to kitkat on 3 last night..... im having a few problems with it though! iv just powered the phone off taken out the battery left it for a few min and booted it up again and all seems good for now.........
    For what its worth, after the first day or so i havent had any problems whatsoever with the update...
    Wha? :confused:

Whats your point? The poster says they had some problems but after the first few days things have settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Hi, I bought an s4 off a friend and it was locked to Vodafone. Got the unlock code off eBay and put in my Three sim. I can't get the option to connect to 4g. Its running 4.3 if that makes a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Hi, I bought an s4 off a friend and it was locked to Vodafone. Got the unlock code off eBay and put in my Three sim. I can't get the option to connect to 4g. Its running 4.3 if that makes a difference.

I am only suggesting this as I am not an expert. Are your APN setting correct?

APN Details:
    Name: 3
    APN: 3ireland.ie
    Proxy: Not Set
    Port: Not Set
    Username: Not Set
    Password: Not Set
    Server: Not Set
    MMSC: http://mms.um.3ireland.ie:10021/mmsc
    MMS Proxy: mms.3ireland.ie or 217.171.129.2 please change if one does not work
    MMS Port: 8799
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 05
    Anthentication Type: None
    APN Type: Internet & MMS
    Three Homepage: http://mobile.3ireland.ie/hb/singleurl
    Three Homepage: http://mobile.3ireland.ie/hb/HutchKey

• Advertisement

I am only suggesting this as I am not an expert. Are your APN setting correct?

APN Details:
    Name: 3
    APN: 3ireland.ie
    Proxy: Not Set
    Port: Not Set
    Username: Not Set
    Password: Not Set
    Server: Not Set
    MMSC: http://mms.um.3ireland.ie:10021/mmsc
    MMS Proxy: mms.3ireland.ie or 217.171.129.2 please change if one does not work
    MMS Port: 8799
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 05
    Anthentication Type: None
    APN Type: Internet & MMS
    Three Homepage: http://mobile.3ireland.ie/hb/singleurl
    Three Homepage: http://mobile.3ireland.ie/hb/HutchKey

I can connect to the H+ no option to connect to the 4g network

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

I can connect to the H+ no option to connect to the 4g network
    http://www.three.ie/explore/4G/
    Read the how do I get 4G bit

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Anyone any experience replacing a broken screen?

Broke mine back in sept or Oct and just upgraded to the note3 rather than pay the price for a new screen at the time.

Is it still mad stupid Money?

Banjo,

I went to www.fonfix.ie to get mine replaced. It cost me €141 and was a top job done on it. That was the cheapest around i found.

I connected the phone to kies and theres a 4.4.2 update. The phone was bought from vodafone and unlocked to use my three sim, is it the vodafone or the three update ill be getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

My S4 broke there a while ago (it wasn't the actual screen but the display after a fall). I got it fixed in one of the shops on Talbot Street for €80 which was great. The new screen is second hand and has a small bit of damage but is grand for the price! I could have got a brand new screen for €140 but, there are some issues with the phone anyway and I can see it dying entirely in the not too distant. The best thing is, they did it straight away and didn't wipe it. I was in a fair hurry to get it done.

I had tried Fonefix and they said they'd have to wipe it as they needed to install new software. Same with my insurance crowd Geeksquad. Does anyone know what the story with wiping it is??

Also, when something else happens it (and I have more time) I'll probably go through my insurance to get it fixed up fully. Would there be any issue in my having the entire front replaced already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

I had tried Fonefix and they said they'd have to wipe it as they needed to install new software. Same with my insurance crowd Geeksquad. Does anyone know what the story with wiping it is??

Also, when something else happens it (and I have more time) I'll probably go through my insurance to get it fixed up fully. Would there be any issue in my having the entire front replaced already?

Likely it is to do with newer or spurious screens requiring a firmware update. They wipe the phone to "make sure" it works. Although a simple boot to the test mode would confirm that.
    Also it's a higher probably they send out a " refurbished" model as a replacement rather than repair it. Also hence "the wipe "

>Sol

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

My s4 has begun dieing when the battery reaches 5%,it will just completely shut down,also after charging it and if I leave it idle for say30 mins the battery will gone down to 80% :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

I connected the phone to kies and theres a 4.4.2 update. The phone was bought from vodafone and unlocked to use my three sim, is it the vodafone or the three update ill be getting?

The Vodafone one, if you haven't flashed a different firmware manually. I had to do the exact same thing a few days ago, as it showed no sign of being pushed to my device any time soon. Probably due to being on a different network.

It won't affect the sim unlock, but you should manually flash the three firmware now before you update to kitkat if that's the route you want to go down.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Took out my battery tonight and its very swollen

Simi wrote: »
    The Vodafone one, if you haven't flashed a different firmware manually. I had to do the exact same thing a few days ago, as it showed no sign of being pushed to my device any time soon. Probably due to being on a different network.

It won't affect the sim unlock, but you should manually flash the three firmware now before you update to kitkat if that's the route you want to go down.

Any custom roms that ye'd recommend? Will the 4g option be included in a custom ROM?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

Any custom roms that ye'd recommend? Will the 4g option be included in a custom ROM?
    Fraid not. I haven't even bothered rooting mine, let alone flashing it. Probably won't get round to it now that I've got my eyes set on a oneplus one. Cyanogenmod was always my favourite back in the day. Worth it for the 'hold volume key to skip track' feature alone. Sorry I can't be of more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Anyone have any idea how to make the sd card the preferred choice for saving to instead of using internal memory?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Got the S4 'black edition' there recently and I have to say I'm pretty impressed by it.

Samsung-launches-Galaxy-S4-Black-Edition-in-UK-costs-%C2%A3500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I got an S4 a few months ago and I have to say, I found touch wiz and all the non functional Samsung bloat increasingly wearying.

So I rooted and flashed it with the S4 play edition ROM (basically turning it into a nexus) and it's a different phone. Absolutely superb. Really happy with it now. So much snappier, really prefer the UI.

Can't recommend it highly enough.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Any good places to get a battery? Can't help but feel the phones existing one is ****e. I don't get much out of it if I use it anyway heavily. If I use the camera a few times, the batter drops significantly. It's constantly on charge and I have Power Saving on all the fekcing time. Have the phone just about a year now and not due an upgrade until February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

quad_red wrote: »
    I got an S4 a few months ago and I have to say, I found touch wiz and all the non functional Samsung bloat increasingly wearying.

So I rooted and flashed it with the S4 play edition ROM (basically turning it into a nexus) and it's a different phone. Absolutely superb. Really happy with it now. So much snappier, really prefer the UI.

Where did you get the ROM from (PM if not allowed to discuss).

I flashed mine with 4.4.2 - but there was no difference, or at least very little. Same Samsung bloat was still there. :(

@mods: are we allowed talk about this on here?

From a total amateur perspective, I found the experience quite daunting at first. And I had one hiccup which was a sphincter tightening moment. But all in all, it was quite straightforward.

I would be happy to link to the guides and the tools I used.

(I was using a standard network unlocked S4 I9505).

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

Flashing custom roms is not illegal( it just voids your warranty).So discussing and sharing them is allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I've CM11 put onto my new S4 and its the dogs bollox. Pure android FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭south

Any way to get 4g working after flashing any ROM? I'm with 3 and while I have the option of LTE/WCDMA/GSM I can't connect to the 4g network. The phone didn't come from three and they said I'd need to change the firmware but I'd have to bring it to a shop and get it sent away. I've tried changing the firmware myself but has no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

As soon as I saw the play edition of the S4 come out, I was hoping they'd release a fully functional rom of it for the standard S4. I wanted to keep touchwiz as I liked some of the S4 gimmicks but soon realized that I had to turn them all off to save battery so kind of pointless keeping it now.

Few questions if you don't mind regarding the play edition and flashing:

Do you notice if your battery life is any better? Any downsides?
    Will I lose everything on it i.e. apps/data etc if I flash it? I have a few specific versions of apps I'd rather not lose.
    Is phone space still an issue?

Thanks!

Do you notice if your battery life is any better? Any downsides?
    Will I lose everything on it i.e. apps/data etc if I flash it? I have a few specific versions of apps I'd rather not lose.
    Is phone space still an issue?

Thanks!

Battery is noticeably better. Under the Samsung build I would be down to 30% by lunch. Thatd be an hour of net on the commute and then a few phone calls.

It's now noticeably better. At 40% by 5pm.

In regards to apps - I honestly don't know. I just redownloaded everything from the play store. All my data and content on the card was still there.

Can't really answer on storage cos I don't download massive amounts of apps etc. One of the reasons why the interminable clutter and bloat samsung insist on pissed me off so much.

The UI is now noticeably smoother. Phone performs better. No connectivity issues. Had one issue initially - there is a bug where the phone cant boot up fully with a sim lock. But once I removed the sim pin in another phone and logged in on the phone, never an issue again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Cheers for the quick reply.

Can you possibly link the guides and tools/rom you used? I remember being quite nervous about doing it the previous time I flashed a phone (i've only rooted my s4). I had a look on XDA and most of their stuff requires a bit of on in-depth knowledge.

Are you using the GT-I9505?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Battery is noticeably better. Under the Samsung build I would be down to 30% by lunch. Thatd be an hour of net on the commute and then a few phone calls.

It's now noticeably better. At 40% by 5pm.

In regards to apps - I honestly don't know. I just redownloaded everything from the play store. All my data and content on the card was still there.

Can't really answer on storage cos I don't download massive amounts of apps etc. One of the reasons why the interminable clutter and bloat samsung insist on pissed me off so much.

The UI is now noticeably smoother. Phone performs better. No connectivity issues. Had one issue initially - there is a bug where the phone cant boot up fully with a sim lock. But once I removed the sim pin in another phone and logged in on the phone, never an issue again.

Would you mind posting up the links to how you did it as I'm thinking of rooting mine as the battery is crap since the last update 4.2.2 cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Gaffs89 wrote: »
    Flashing custom roms is not illegal( it just voids your warranty).So discussing and sharing them is allowed.

Rooting or flashing a custom rom does not void your warranty in the EU. There should be a sticky about this at this stage.

Advertisement