Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing NCI

• 09-11-2012 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭

What is full time computing in NCI really like. Thinking about putting it down as first choice on my CAO.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

It's like computing. What are YOU really like? Are you interested in the area? There are extensive details on the website regarding what it covers!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Adam wrote: »
    It's like computing. What are YOU really like? Are you interested in the area? There are extensive details on the website regarding what it covers!

yes i am interested in the area and want to expand what i know about computers, coupled with nci's high employment rate i feel its for me. spoke to a nci rep who said to me that people with no knowledge of computers go in and come out with top jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭kilfeather94

What is full time computing in NCI really like. Thinking about putting it down as first choice on my CAO.

Hey there, I'm in first year doing full-time computing at the moment. I'm really liking the course so far at the moment. If you have an interest or passion for technology or computers, you'll more than likely enjoy the course. If you have no experience in programming or anything like that, you might find it a bit difficult at first. They start right from scratch though, so they show you the basics. Any questions about the college itself or the course, let me know.

Hey there, I'm in first year doing full-time computing at the moment. I'm really liking the course so far at the moment. If you have an interest or passion for technology or computers, you'll more than likely enjoy the course. If you have no experience in programming or anything like that, you might find it a bit difficult at first. They start right from scratch though, so they show you the basics. Any questions about the college itself or the course, let me know.

yeah i have no experience in programming, i was told that there is no need to know anything about computers going into the course, now of course im up to date with technology and i enjoy fixing and sorting out computers

yeah i have no experience in programming, i was told that there is no need to know anything about computers going into the course, now of course im up to date with technology and i enjoy fixing and sorting out computers

Yeah, they start right from the beginning with programming. I just mean that if you've used it before you might find it a little easier going in. In the second semester of first year, there's a module called "Computer Architecture" and I think that there's a part where you learn how to assemble a PC together.

• Advertisement

Yeah, they start right from the beginning with programming. I just mean that if you've used it before you might find it a little easier going in. In the second semester of first year, there's a module called "Computer Architecture" and I think that there's a part where you learn how to assemble a PC together.

put the work in and i should be fine, continual assessment is a big draw to NCI for me and the high percentage of graduates who get jobs straight out of college

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

You learn how one is put together, and a really good skill...troubleshooting problems!

Comp architecture was one of my favorite subjects from first year, and the lecturer, Dave T, was a legend!

So from this i take that you dont need wide knowledge of all things computers, you will learn everything, have a laugh and hopfully get a decent job. btw few lads in my year thinking about doing computing, wanna know if theres any girls on the course

So from this i take that you dont need wide knowledge of all things computers, you will learn everything, have a laugh and hopfully get a decent job. btw few lads in my year thinking about doing computing, wanna know if theres any girls on the course

barely any girls on the course. well, in my class anyway, there's just 3 girls.

barely any girls on the course. well, in my class anyway, there's just 3 girls.

more lads to compete with haha

• Advertisement

how many in each class in the year ??

how many in each class in the year ??

can't exactly remember, but somewhere around 60 I think. You get to know people really easily though, because on orientation day, you are put into a group and shown around the college for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭danish pasterys

Hi matey,

Just wondering wats the college like for events and socials ? And wat has the college got for big break gaps, hang out areas? I was at the open day an was disappointed with just seen the small restaurant on the ground floor, is there other hang out areas? The college looked like it had nothing when i was there only class rooms and a restaurant. Also is there a maths support Centre?

Thank you

Hi matey,

Just wondering wats the college like for events and socials ? And wat has the college got for big break gaps, hang out areas? I was at the open day an was disappointed with just seen the small restaurant on the ground floor, is there other hang out areas? The college looked like it had nothing when i was there only class rooms and a restaurant. Also is there a maths support Centre?

Thank you

Hi there, don't worry, there's a lot more to it than just the restaurant. Downstairs, there is a Students Union basement which is where everyone hangs out at lunch time. It has a PS3 and xbox 360's, 2 pool tables and a ping pong table. They do lots of different events. On freshers week, which is the week after your first week, they do stuff like pub crawls, balls, magicians and chill out days. There's lots of other events throughout the year. and yes, there is a maths support centre too. every friday, I think they did maths sessions for a couple of hours if you're having difficulties. and before your exams, they do more maths sessions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭danish pasterys

Hi there, don't worry, there's a lot more to it than just the restaurant. Downstairs, there is a Students Union basement which is where everyone hangs out at lunch time. It has a PS3 and xbox 360's, 2 pool tables and a ping pong table. They do lots of different events. On freshers week, which is the week after your first week, they do stuff like pub crawls, balls, magicians and chill out days. There's lots of other events throughout the year. and yes, there is a maths support centre too. every friday, I think they did maths sessions for a couple of hours if you're having difficulties. and before your exams, they do more maths sessions too.

Thanks for the reply, yea I'm really excited bout going there now. Ill be a mature student. I want to do management of tech is bis, if you've any info on that please share.

Shouldn't be an awful lot of maths in that course. Iv a fetac level 5 in IT from 2006 which i cant remember a thing idid on it haha so that should help my application

Roll on sept 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

thinking of going NCI next year for BSc Honours in Computing, ill be 25 so ill be a mature student, my first choice was previously computer science in dit, but since i went to the nci open day i have changed my mind, i was talking to the lecturer who teaches the web development he fairly sold it for me, they teach the latest technologies there and theres a real focus on entrepreneur ship and seem to be pretty good atmosphere there.

Im doing a plc this year where im covering programming, web development and computer arch and similar subjects so i should find the first year of course pretty easy id say.

any one have a timetable for first year they can upload to get an idea of course?
    and any regrets about doing that course, downsides on nci over another college ?
    whats the breakdown of continues assessment versus final exams for % of your grade in first year?

Casshern88 wrote: »
    thinking of going NCI next year for BSc Honours in Computing, ill be 25 so ill be a mature student, my first choice was previously computer science in dit, but since i went to the nci open day i have changed my mind, i was talking to the lecturer who teaches the web development he fairly sold it for me, they teach the latest technologies there and theres a real focus on entrepreneur ship and seem to be pretty good atmosphere there.

Im doing a plc this year where im covering programming, web development and computer arch and similar subjects so i should find the first year of course pretty easy id say.

any one have a timetable for first year they can upload to get an idea of course?
    and any regrets about doing that course, downsides on nci over another college ?
    whats the breakdown of continues assessment versus final exams for % of your grade in first year?

This should have all the info you need.

As for continuous assessment vs. exams, most subjects are around the 50/50. Normally 20/30 for a project, 20/30 for quizes, and the remainder for the exam. With business/theory/strategy type subjects being 30 ca : 70 exam. Some subjects are entirely CA, so no exam. Normally at least 1 per semester. These have been Web Development related, and any team Project type modules.

I found it was a good mix, allowing a student to be pushed to do well in continuous assessment so that the exam is not such a big chunk. Individual breakdown of marks and credits can be seen from the link above.

Negative: Full timers are prioritized over part time students. (Not a problem if you are a full timer).
    Positive: It's a great location to get to from the suburbs and beyond. The lecturers are fantastic, for the most part.

If I had any regrets thus far it would be that I completely switched off during the breaks between semesters. I regret not taking a short course during the summer for example. And there isn't any support or encouragement around this from the college. I would have prefered a more technical and practical element also, and this is one of the few things the course lacks, that other courses provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I would have prefered a more technical and practical element also, and this is one of the few things the course lacks, that other courses provide.

Can you elaborate on this please? Is it very theoretical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

ED E wrote: »
    Can you elaborate on this please? Is it very theoretical?
    I'm assuming by this he is referring to actual hardware elements, of which there isn't much. But honestly, that's not what a degree in computing is about. With regard to actually building software, you're constantly working on one project or another that is very open in terms of what technologies you wish to use.

Ahh ok.

I've previously studied CS in TCD but left. Looking at taking this course up in September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Ahh ok.

I've previously studied CS in TCD but left. Looking at taking this course up in September.
    What was your reason behind leaving the CS course in Trinity? just curious.

Hating + Failing DLD(Digital logic design) combined with an accident that took me out of action for a while.

Programming is what I really enjoy(96% with little effort) and the electrotech module was interesting if tricky.

Hating + Failing DLD(Digital logic design) combined with an accident that took me out of action for a while.

Programming is what I really enjoy(96% with little effort) and the electrotech module was interesting if tricky.

This course is very heavy on prgramming so would definitely suit.

By technical/practical I mean hands on with the technology, for example, wireless networking, you don't actually setup a network, or hold an rfid tag and reader in your hand.

Some people prefere that, and like an overview in the lectures so they can explore in more detail in their spare time, but as a part time student I want to see it, touch it feel it. And if It's interesting I will carry on further.

It's a great course though, but for first 2 years you won't be challenged. It's getting very challenging now though!

Thanks for the info.

I worked in the ISS in trinity so wireless networking isnt a big concern :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 omgapuppy

You learn how one is put together, and a really good skill...troubleshooting problems!

Comp architecture was one of my favorite subjects from first year, and the lecturer, Dave T, was a legend!

Full time must be a bit different. I'm doing computing part-time, Comp Arch is mostly maths - number systems, binary calculations, truth tables etc. Haven't gone near hardware yet, even tho it's the end of the semester. Can't say I like the subject too much. Different lecturer tho,...

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Just got a letter from NCI yesterday i was acccepted as i full time student for computing! i applied as a mature student (ill be 25 starting) so thats why i know now, delighted!! roll on september

Another quick question lads, do you have to handwrite programming exams? Thats a headwrecking policy in TCD.

Another quick question lads, do you have to handwrite programming exams? Thats a headwrecking policy in TCD.

We had a final exam in programming and it was a bit of a disaster to be fair, but I think they have worked out the kinks since.

It's a ridiculous concept to have to hand write technical exams involving lots of code. I think mopst colleges are trying to get away from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

We had to handwrite ours in Year 1 (currently in Year 2) because of the disaster the year before when they tried to do it on computers. I heard they were back trying with the Year 1's this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭oorrccaa

I've listed this course as my first CAO choice. I left school at Junior Cert and worked for a few years. I done a PLC this year (course was not related to computers) and I meet all the entry requirements so i'm hoping to get accepted.

I have always had an interest in computers.

I obviously have not done LC maths and I'm thinking would this be a problem. When I done maths at JC I done quite well, getting an A at ordinary. I expect the maths involved will be a lot more advanced.

Advertisement