Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Week 1 finished, really sore today, 3rd day was definitely the hardest for me, but I felt great after pushing through it and completing. Week 2 starts tomorrow, the extra 30 seconds seem like a bridge too far right now but hopefully I can take it on tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

tw0nk wrote: »
    Week 1 finished, really sore today, 3rd day was definitely the hardest for me, but I felt great after pushing through it and completing. Week 2 starts tomorrow, the extra 30 seconds seem like a bridge too far right now but hopefully I can take it on tomorrow.

The key think to remember is that if you're getting out of breath, slow down. You're working on stamina rather than speed for now and if you pace yourself you can definitely do it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭caitrionaanne

Im starting week 9 tomorrow/Friday! Last week! I still find I struggle to get past 3.5k in the 30 mins. My legs feel like they cant stay going but i hope this will improve over time.
    Does anyone do strength training for their legs as well? I wonder would it help. Thinking of going 5k fun run on friday to see how I go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Im starting week 9 tomorrow/Friday! Last week! I still find I struggle to get past 3.5k in the 30 mins. My legs feel like they cant stay going but i hope this will improve over time.
    Does anyone do strength training for their legs as well? I wonder would it help. Thinking of going 5k fun run on friday to see how I go!

Well done on getting to Week 9! Try not to worry about the distance you're covering for the moment. It really should be called 'Couch to 30mins running'
    If your legs are struggling, then maybe you just need to slow down another bit.

I wouldn't worry about strength training for the moment. Maybe some kind of class of pilates or something but nothing will help you get better at running at the moment except for more running:D
    Great idea to do the fun run but your main goal should be to complete it. It'll be he furthest you've ever run so that in itself will be a great achievement and not the time you do it in. I did a 5k on Week 7 I think and it took me 39 mins but I was delighted with myself that I ran the whole thing and didn't have to stop and walk!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

well done caitrionaanne, amazing getting to the last week! should be proud of your achievement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Well done and as ososlo says don't worry about distance, you have progressed from struggling to run for 1 minute to running continously for 30 mins.

You can set a 5k in 30 mins as your next goal, I find it always helps to have a goal . There are podcasts on the nhs choices site for post c25k runners to help build speed and stamina and endurance.

You legs will get stronger the more running you do but bear in mind what i said previously , It's always tired legs that get me too.

Good luck with the fun run, Enjoy.

Here's a Link to the page with those podcasts

http://www.nhs.uk/tools/pages/Couch-to-5k-plus.aspx

I found the strength and flex program helped too.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/strength-and-flexibility/Pages/strength-and-flexibillity-podcasts.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Just about finished a C25K-type workout on the RunKeeper app. My last workout is the 5k which I hope to do tomorrow evening :)
    It was tough going but well worth it. I feel great now and I'm sleeping much better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

I'm on week 7 and struggling with the 25 min runs. I did a 25 min with no stopping at the end of week 6 and that was great. This week I tried to download the NHS programme for week 7 and used it twice so far. My phone wouldn't download it but would play it and both times it stopped during the run and really distracted me. I stopped and ran/walked the rest after about 15 mins. I have managed to download it now by downloading to my computer first and then to the phone. I really hope my third run of the week goes more smoothly. Question for The Muppet - did you do the strength training outdoors and if so how was it doing the exercises in public. I'd like to do it but feel a bit self-conscious.

Thanks guys! Completed week 9 day 1 this morning, Very slow but completed it all the same. Didnt get to the fun run cos of a terrible headache so was straight to bed after work.
    Im having doubts at the moment of being able to run 10k at end of September but after I finish to C25K, Ill focus on increasing distance.

Had no motivation this morning but manages to drag myself out! How are you all doing?

Question - what kind of stretches do you guys do before a run? I do 5 mins on treadmill and static stretches for quads, calves and hamstrings and off I go.

happyday wrote: »
    Question for The Muppet - did you do the strength training outdoors and if so how was it doing the exercises in public. I'd like to do it but feel a bit self-conscious.

I did them at home. The only problem was the warm up walking but it can be done indoors

• Advertisement

Question - what kind of stretches do you guys do before a run? I do 5 mins on treadmill and static stretches for quads, calves and hamstrings and off I go.

I only stretch after my runs calfs quads hamstrings and shoulders/back

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I went out to do 5k tonight and somewhere in the final 5 minutes some giant sprinted past me. Made me realise how far I still have to go. :eek: I kinda hated that guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I would try these before and after.

http://greatist.com/fitness/full-body-dynamic-warm-up

Also, I have a foam roller which I use to sort out any knots.

Thanks Jimmy Iovine - will try those. I find that I do need to stretch calves before run or ill end up having to stop half way through and do it! Im going through a patch of low motivation at the moment! Anyone have anything that helps them get motivated again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Thanks Jimmy Iovine - will try those. I find that I do need to stretch calves before run or ill end up having to stop half way through and do it! Im going through a patch of low motivation at the moment! Anyone have anything that helps them get motivated again?

It's never happened me so I can't really help but ask yourself why you started running in the beginning? Remind yourself of those reason.

could you join a beginners running group? Maybe a Fit for Life group or similar?

Try running in different places to mix it up a bit instead of the same old routes. Beach, forest, trail.

Ososlo's ideas sound good. Stick with it Caitrionaanne. You've done so well. Have you completed the C25K course now? If so, maybe you need a new challenge like signing up to run a 5K or improving your speed. The NHS website have downloads to help you with that. I plan to use them eventually!

Yep all finished now happyday. Ive run the 5k a twice now in under 45 mins. I am doing a 10k on Sept 28th so im going to aim to maybe add .5k to each of my runs and try and build it that way.
    Im having awful pains in the quads/hip flexor muscles and all the stretches in the world wont help. May pay the physio a visit to get a bit of help on that!

Yep all finished now happyday. Ive run the 5k a twice now in under 45 mins. I am doing a 10k on Sept 28th so im going to aim to maybe add .5k to each of my runs and try and build it that way.
    Im having awful pains in the quads/hip flexor muscles and all the stretches in the world wont help. May pay the physio a visit to get a bit of help on that!

Wow! Go you. I signed up for the Ray Darcy 5k in Cork this September. I'm very nervous about it. I haven't covered 5k yet so I may have to walk some of it.

Was gonna do that run with Ray in cork myself but having mid week run isnt ideal! All the same, I might see if I can get off work! It be great to do a 5k before the 10k one to get into the spirit!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭confusedeire

just read the last 10 or so pages in this thread its great to hear other people talking about what there going through. really helps me.

I just completed week 2. I was over 18st at the end of may and today I'm 16st so two weeks ago I started c25k i nearly got sick half way through week 1 day 1 now i cant wait to start week 3. and the hardest thing i find is trying to slow my pace down and giving myself my rest days. my knees where sore but not painful after the run and for the day after but today I slowed my pace and got home with less soreness.

I was covering 3.5k each time as that was a loop I was doing. last time i completed in 28mins ish but today I changed my route and covered 3.2km in 30mins but half the run downhill then back uphill to my home again found it much better. slowing the pace to get the body used to it. the distance can come later.

I started a log to try and keep my motivation up. but now Im also going to follow this thread as i think it really helps

• Advertisement

Well done confisedeire!!!!! Getting started is the biggest battle and well done on the weightloss too.

I think for me, I committed to a 10k before I was ready but I might surprise myself! And sure if i have to walk some, so be it!!! I am going through a demotivated phase at the moment but im hoping that will change for me. I suffered big time with my knees at the start. I ended up getting physio for 6weeks and the niggles have started again so i have a date with my BFF the foam roller tomorrow!! Ouch :)

just read the last 10 or so pages in this thread its great to hear other people talking about what there going through. really helps me.

I just completed week 2. I was over 18st at the end of may and today I'm 16st so two weeks ago I started c25k i nearly got sick half way through week 1 day 1 now i cant wait to start week 3. and the hardest thing i find is trying to slow my pace down and giving myself my rest days. my knees where sore but not painful after the run and for the day after but today I slowed my pace and got home with less soreness.

I was covering 3.5k each time as that was a loop I was doing. last time i completed in 28mins ish but today I changed my route and covered 3.2km in 30mins but half the run downhill then back uphill to my home again found it much better. slowing the pace to get the body used to it. the distance can come later.

I started a log to try and keep my motivation up. but now Im also going to follow this thread as i think it really helps

Well done. Don't get too caught up on distances for now it's l about time running to build your fitness.

completed Week 3 Day 1. found very easy. I'm doing a training log on here if anybody thinking of taking it up. I'm going to try and post after every run on it hopefully it might help someone start. doing a personal log is really motivating me to continue. I couldn't run for a minute before I started this.

linky to thread if your interested
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057276223

Was gonna do that run with Ray in cork myself but having mid week run isnt ideal! All the same, I might see if I can get off work! It be great to do a 5k before the 10k one to get into the spirit!

I might be running along side you so! I'm very nervous about it. I can only run about 3k in 28 minutes so I'll have to walk some of it.

Looks like the run with Ray wont happen for me :( Cant get time off work.

Dont be nervous happyday! You will prob really enjoy it and i bet you will surprise yourself with how much of it you will actually run! Im doing a 10k Tipperary mini marathon on the 28th Sept. Im just gonna go with the flow, if i need to walk some i will! They say the atmosphere will carry you a long way too!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 bramblecorner

Hi guys

Not good at forum stuff but I am starting c25k today. This week is the week with all the kids back school/uni to start getting a healthier life style! I also was out on a wee bike ride yesterday.

Anyway, what app do you mostly recommend as my pal for C25K?

Thanks so much and I am working my way through the posts so apologies if I am asking a commonly asked question

Hi guys

Not good at forum stuff but I am starting c25k today. This week is the week with all the kids back school/uni to start getting a healthier life style! I also was out on a wee bike ride yesterday.

Anyway, what app do you mostly recommend as my pal for C25K?

Thanks so much and I am working my way through the posts so apologies if I am asking a commonly asked question

I use c25k free and I have music playing aswell. The c25k app talks over the music . there is also NHS c25k podcast on the NHS website my girlfriend uses these and she prefers them due to the coaching you get along the way. Just remember to go slow or you could injur urself until your body and joints get used to it.

I started a few weeks ago I'm half way there now and my knees got very sore but because I kept going slow I've no more pain now

Thanks confusedeire. Yes music will help thank you .... hadn't thought of that.

Well I just did day one based on info from the net .... OK I can still breath and I have done it, day one, step one! Although where I can run (and hide!) is not a smooth path its a back path over a river etc so somewhat uneven. I will get to the point where I will run down the road with the rest of the slim fit ones but not just now!

Sorry rambled on there a bit .... now to look for good running music.

Thanks again

Thanks confusedeire. Yes music will help thank you .... hadn't thought of that.

Well I just did day one based on info from the net .... OK I can still breath and I have done it, day one, step one! Although where I can run (and hide!) is not a smooth path its a back path over a river etc so somewhat uneven. I will get to the point where I will run down the road with the rest of the slim fit ones but not just now!

Sorry rambled on there a bit .... now to look for good running music.

Thanks again

well done your doing better than i did i wanted to get sick half way through my first day. but i was running to hard aswell. we learn as we go along. keep it up the hard part is done

• Advertisement

Def not running hard more a quite fast walk .... soon though I will run harder and faster ha ha ha! Thanks very much

Advertisement