Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tefl in South Korea

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Hi all, a quick question on getting a notarized, apostilled copy of my degree for the application.

I just emailed my old college about procuring a copy of my diploma, specifying I didn't want the original, and was told I could either pay €60 for a 'replacement parchment' or just get official transcripts.
    Very confused! Is there no such thing as an official copy? Does a copy just mean a colour photocopy of the original? (which means taking my degree out of its frame, grr.)

Thanks for any help.

Open frame (it's not a difficult as you may think)

take out degree scroll

photocopy degree

put original back in frame

bring photocopy to get notarised at a commissioner of oaths

bring photocopy to dept of foreign affairs to be apostilled

job done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Hi All,

Read this on the footprints website, just wondering is it realistic?

Here is a breakdown of my expenses.
    cell phone 45,000 internet 30,000 water 15,000 subway 20,000 restaurants 300,000 food 150,000 travel/weekend entertainment 600,000 miscellaneous 150,000 TOTAL 1,310,000

All up, line items from the budget sometimes run over but for the most part I usually have excess. My salary is 2,000,000 and I reckon most months I am backing around 800,000. I would NEVER be able to bank that much back home and live so well

THANKS!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

MrMatisse wrote: »
    Hi All,

cell phone 45,000 internet 30,000 water 15,000 subway 20,000 restaurants 300,000 food 150,000 travel/weekend entertainment 600,000 miscellaneous 150,000 TOTAL 1,310,000

All up, line items from the budget sometimes run over but for the most part I usually have excess. My salary is 2,000,000 and I reckon most months I am backing around 800,000. I would NEVER be able to bank that much back home and live so well

THANKS!

It varies really!! That example doesn't have gas or electricity in it. During the summer electricity can be quite high from running the air con all the time and during winter gas will be high from heating.

It also changes person to person, my travel expenses would have been much lower and I never would have spend that much in restaurants a month. I also wouldn't have spend that much on weekends out.

There will always be unplanned expenses like needing some items of clothing, if you get sick or just want to buy something for yourself.

Its still pretty impossible to not save something, even people I know that spend alot and never had a budget still managed to save money.

Hi All,

THANKS!

cell phone - if you don't get a bill phone, that can be 10-20k a month on pay as you go.

Internet - 30k seems about right

water - Are they talking about bottles water here? If it's water for the apartment, then it gets thrown in with apartment fees, so I'm not sure how much (or if) I was paying for it.

Subway - I didn't live near one, but, it'll depend on where you live, where your school is, how much you wanna move around.

restaurants - seems like a large amount to be spending on restaurants, this person mustn't cook much at home.

Food - Is this groceries? I would spend about 200k or so on groceries, but much less then 300k on restaurants.

weekend entertainment - 600k seems very very excessive, this person obviously liked to drink....a lot. Either that or go to the opera and travel all around the country.

Miscellaneous - I hope by this, ther person is talking about paying their electricity and gas bill, because they haven't mentioned that...plus they've very little else to buy, considering everything else they've been spending.

I've said it before, when I budgeted hard, I was able to spend only 400k a month. However most people could get away with spending 700-800k without much of a struggle, or 1million and still have an easy life.

Don't forget, out of a 2million salary, you'll lose close to 200k in tax, insurance, pension.

Really appreciate all the responses.

Cloneslad you are a wealth of information:D

• Advertisement

Hi all,

I have an a3 size degree parchment in Latin, seems like scanning will be a nightmare and of course its in Latin..... not sure an A3 is going to scan well at all never mind the Latin, would this be a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

Hi all,

I have an a3 size degree parchment in Latin, seems like scanning will be a nightmare and of course its in Latin..... not sure an A3 is going to scan well at all never mind the Latin, would this be a problem?

Mine was in Latin and it was fine so that's not a problem.

It was A3 as well and it scanned fine if you needed to send it via email for some reason.

Otherwise just photocopy it, apostille and notarise. Why scan?

Note: most photocopiers can scan and email directly to you these days anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭roosh

Hi all,

I took mine to the local Library and got it photocopied, and they were able to reduce the size to A4 which meant it was easy to scan.

Are you going for a public school job or a Hagwon? If you're going for a public school job you'll need to get an english translation cert for your degree; I'm not sure if that is the case with Hagwons though, so probably no need to worry about it if no one has asked you for it.

roosh wrote: »
    I took mine to the local Library and got it photocopied, and they were able to reduce the size to A4 which meant it was easy to scan.

Are you going for a public school job or a Hagwon? If you're going for a public school job you'll need to get an english translation cert for your degree; I'm not sure if that is the case with Hagwons though, so probably no need to worry about it if no one has asked you for it.

I work for a public school, mine was in Latin and there was never a mention to me.

Maybe it's a case by case basis like a lot of things in Korea but I never saw it written down anywhere when I applied or was told differently by my recruiter. On this forum is the only place I've seen the English translation being mentioned.

ekevosu wrote: »
    I work for a public school, mine was in Latin and there was never a mention to me.

Maybe it's a case by case basis like a lot of things in Korea but I never saw it written down anywhere when I applied or was told differently by my recruiter. On this forum is the only place I've seen the English translation being mentioned.

ah ok, my recruiter said I had to get one, so I got one. It might not have been an EPIK requirement, just something my recruiter asked for; I can't remember if I saw it on any EPIK checklist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I'm doing a "magic science class" with kids aged between 10-13.

I've checked on the internet for some ideas, only a rough skim but does anyone have any experiments that could be done in an hour that doesn't involve any major chemicals.

Most of the stuff I saw is for kids that would be taught daily etc. But from what I've been told this is just for a one day programme or a once off class.

I've checked on the internet for some ideas, only a rough skim but does anyone have any experiments that could be done in an hour that doesn't involve any major chemicals.

Most of the stuff I saw is for kids that would be taught daily etc. But from what I've been told this is just for a one day programme or a once off class.

I did a few quick experiments in one of my classes to introduce the future tense / predictions etc.

One was a bowl of water with some pepper in it. Get the kids to dip their finger in the centre and nothing happens. secretly put washing liquid on yours and do the same and all the pepper shoots to the side. Looks really cool and the kids love it, bit of shock value.

There was another where you get an empty soda can and fill it up to a certain level with water. At that level you can balance it at an angle and it won't fall over, can be spinned around etc.

There are all sorts of little experiements like this. Someone on Waygook also posted a megapack of science experiements you should try and search out. I don't think they used a lot of chemicals, just simple stuff and possibly a bit longer.

Also the egg drop experiment (google it) is a cool little class that I'm hoping to get the chance to do for winter camp and science related but easy for all the kids of all levels to take part.

It might be worth asking in the popular science, or physics & chemistry section of boards as well

• Registered Users Posts: 23 seamie89

Hi all, just looking for some information...

myself and my friend have passed the EPIK interview process and have sent off all our documents which they received today!
    I then received an email from EPIK to say that all the jobs in the metropolitan cities have been filled up...we are being advised to go for a province area.

I was wondering if anyone has been working in a provincial area? where would you recomend as we would like somewhere near a metropolitan city if possible...? also an area which has other foreign teachers?

thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 groovyspiderguy

This is Epik so you won't actually have as much choice as you may think as regards where you end up!

The big cities like Seoul and Busan are always the first to go. I'm in Gyeongbuk, Gyeongsanbukdo. The nearest city is Daegu at about 30 mins by train.

But in my experience, the provincial areas are fine. There's a distinction made between these and the more remote rural areas. You won't end up being too remote unless you specify that as a preference!

There will be other foreign teachers in most places - I know of one guy who is the only foreigner in his area - on an island - but he specifically chose that!

Korea isn't a huge country also don't forget, so it's unlikely you'd be too far from 'civilisation' regardless of where they send you.

Best thing to do is:

-have a look at a map,
    -choose an area just to be able to sound focused,
    -come here and do your orientation and training,
    -sit on the bus wondering until they tell you your actual destination,
    -frantically try to find it in your lonely plannet book before you arrive at your new home, meet & greet co-teacher, and laugh about how in-control of things you thought you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Hi all!

Just wondering when you applied to the recruiting agencies did you send your normal irish style cv or did you send a special one?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭rich1874

cloneslad wrote: »
    Open frame (it's not a difficult as you may think)

take out degree scroll

photocopy degree

put original back in frame

bring photocopy to get notarised at a commissioner of oaths

bring photocopy to dept of foreign affairs to be apostilled

job done

Are you sure about the Commisioner for Oaths thing? I think it has to be a public notary... I'm certain a Commisioner for Oaths is only authorised to verify legal documents like affidavits and other statements... Some can be very particular about what they put their name too... i would suggest looking for a Public Notary from the outset and avoiding the Commisioner for Oaths minefield..

Hi all!

Just wondering when you applied to the recruiting agencies did you send your normal irish style cv or did you send a special one?

I just sent my normal one....make sure its up to date!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I just sent my normal one....make sure its up to date!

what she said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 groovyspiderguy

Hi all!

*Bear in mind that in Korea, American English is used - so first off - changing things like 'CV' to 'RESUME' and ensuring American spelling is used are no harm!

Also, obviously it has to be appropriate!
    You want to emphasize any teaching/mentoring type roles you've undertaken and experience/time spent with younger people.

They'd have little interest in things like sales targets reached and the like.

Little things like these can make a difference.

• Advertisement

*Bear in mind that in Korea, American English is used - so first off - changing things like 'CV' to 'RESUME' and ensuring American spelling is used are no harm!

Also, obviously it has to be appropriate!
    You want to emphasize any teaching/mentoring type roles you've undertaken and experience/time spent with younger people.

They'd have little interest in things like sales targets reached and the like.

Little things like these can make a difference.

Bloody American English.

rich1874 wrote: »
    Are you sure about the Commisioner for Oaths thing? ..
    Yes, very sure.

I think it has to be a public notary
    No, it doesn't
    i would suggest looking for a Public Notary from the outset and avoiding the Commisioner for Oaths minefield.

There's no minefield. A public notary is generally more expensive and is not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

This could spark a worrying trend...
    Hagwons not affected (yet)

Seoul to Phase Out Native English Teachers

Most native English-speaking teachers in about 300 high schools in Seoul could lose their jobs next year. In its budget for 2012, the Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education cut about W4 billion (US$1=W1,126) for 225 native speakers teaching at high schools.

If the budget is approved by the city council, most of the high schools in Seoul except for 30 English "immersion" and international schools, can no longer afford a native speaker.

Currently 1,245 native speakers teach English conversation at primary and secondary schools in Seoul, 895 of them subsidized by the city office of education and the rest by the city government or district offices.

"A native speaker earns on average W42 million a year, and we concluded that they are not effective enough to justify the cost," a spokesman for the city office of education said. "A survey conducted for us showed that Korean teachers with outstanding English and teaching skills are more effective in the long term."

The office also plans to reduce the number of native speakers teaching at elementary and middle schools from 2013.

Students from low-income families will likely bear the brunt of the policy. "Students from well-to-do families may find lessons from native English-speakers dull because they've been attending private tutoring institutes since they were young," an education official said. "But those from poor families should be given the opportunity to learn English with native speakers at school." He added it is "too early to reduce the number of native speakers as long as Korean teachers aren't good enough to replace them."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Worse than that, they're initially cutting it to 705 teachers which means they'll be cutting from middle and elementary schools too.

So there'll be no native teachers in high, middle, or elementary eventually. That's what a lot of people reckon here. Supposedly, the government have seen no real improvement to the English standards of the students and they took a survey of said students. The goverment says that the students said they prefer to be taught by the Korean teachers.

That's not an accurate survery though, because, us native English teachers are not the only ones who teach the students anyway. Both Korean and navtive English teachers teach the kids. So it's not an either/or scenario.

Edit: Here's an article from Korean Times website dated yesterday:

Summary: Practically all high school teachers will not have their contracts renewed but for now, elementary and middle school teachers will be kept on next year. But that's ominous-looking:

About 85 percent of foreign English teachers at high schools in Seoul face not being rehired next year due to a budget cut, the Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education (SMOE) said Thursday.

The education office said it cut its budget allocation for foreign teachers at high schools for 2012 by 4.4 billion won ($3.9 million). This means 225 teachers out of 266 teachers there will not have their contracts renewed upon expiration.

“We submitted the budget plan for foreign teachers at high schools to the Seoul Metropolitan Council,” said an official from the education office. “We decided to cut the budget to maximize cost efficiency in hiring foreign teachers. We concluded that foreign English teachers at high schools were less efficient than those at elementary and middle schools.”

Although the education office plans to gradually reduce the number of foreign English teachers at elementary and middle schools as well, it plans to go with the current number at least until next year.

“We have yet to decide on the budget allocation for foreign English teachers at elementary and middle schools,” the SMOE official said. “The adjusted number is near to final for high schools.”

Of the 266 teachers at high schools, the education office pays for 255 teachers, with the remaining 11 funded by district offices. The 30 teachers who will retain jobs with support from the education office are those at international or science high schools or schools specializing in the English language.

“The district offices may increase or decrease their budget for foreign English teachers on their own discretion,” the official from the SMOE said.

Although high school English teachers will be let go starting next year, this doesn’t mean the foreign teachers will be immediately laid off. Once their contracts expire, they will have fewer opportunities to renew their contracts, especially if they received poor evaluations from their employers.

The public reaction was mixed. Some welcome the education office’s budget cut, saying it is more cost efficient.

“For the past seven years, I co-taught with four foreign English teachers at my school but the quality of teaching students receive is up to luck. Some will be taught by qualified teachers where as those less fortunate will be taught by teachers who aren’t so well versed in teaching,” said a Korean teacher at an elementary school in Seoul.

“Besides, it costs too much to employ foreign English teachers. They receive housing and other expenses from the education office along with their monthly pay. I wish the office would invest more for Korean English teachers with that money.”

She said that even without the English teachers in regular classes, students will still be able to receive lessons from foreign teachers through afterschool programs.

Others are more skeptical about the education office’s decision, saying students will now have to pay for their own private English lessons.

“Kids who can afford private English lessons will be okay, but those who are less privileged will be victimized by this decision. They are stripped of the opportunity to receive education from foreign teachers. Regardless of the quality of teachers, I think foreigners play a positive role in reducing the cultural gap with students,” said a parent in his 40s.

"A native speaker earns on average W42 million a year, and we concluded that they are not effective enough to justify the cost," a spokesman for the city office of education said.

That's bullshít right there. They may cost 42 million a year when you factor in housing, flights, insurance, tax, pension etc. But there is no way that's an average wage. I'd imagine the average wage is about 2.2million per month multiplied by 13 months (to include severance) which is just over 28million per year.

"A survey conducted for us showed that Korean teachers with outstanding English and teaching skills are more effective in the long term."

A survey? How would a survey prove anything?

Also, 'with outstanding English and teaching skills' - How many of the public school teachers can even hold a proper conversation in English?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Hey Guys,

It's fairly getting cold here in Seoul. Anybody heading to the Irish Association of Korea's Christmas party in the Wolfhound in Itaweon on Saturday night?

Heres the link http://irishassociationofkorea.wordpress.com/2011/12/02/iak-invites-you-to-an-irish-christmas-on-sat-dec-17th-1930-til-late-at-the-wolfhound-flyer/

I was at it last year, met a fellow boardsie, won a bottle of Baileys and had a great night.

Hey Guys,

It's fairly getting cold here in Seoul. Anybody heading to the Irish Association of Korea's Christmas party in the Wolfhound in Itaweon on Saturday night?

I was at it last year, met a fellow boardsie, won a bottle of Baileys and had a great night.

It snowed here in Osan on Saturday morning. I'll be heading to Cambodia on Saturday. Must get a boards meet going in Seoul. Anyone interested?

Does anyone have any tips on how to go about coming up with a plan for a 5 day winter camp (9-12 daily). I've been having a look on waygook, but nothing is jumping out at me.

EDIT: I'm not sure if it is just me, but stuff seems to be a bit disjointed on there.

It snowed here in Osan on Saturday morning. I'll be heading to Cambodia on Saturday. Must get a boards meet going in Seoul. Anyone interested?

When are you back?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

roosh wrote: »
    Does anyone have any tips on how to go about coming up with a plan for a 5 day winter camp (9-12 daily). I've been having a look on waygook, but nothing is jumping out at me.

EDIT: I'm not sure if it is just me, but stuff seems to be a bit disjointed on there.

It is, it takes ages to sift through all the crap. And the layout of the website is muddled once you go looking for stuff.

Try googling "waygook elementary camp". (or middle/high if you're not elementary)

You can see the titles of each thread that way without having to go into each one and reading through it all.

Advertisement